Hello, 

I am considering taking the jump to a GTX 1080 Ti as they are currently on sale with around a £70 saving.

I currently use;

i7 6700k OC to 4.4 Ghz

6GB Asus strix 980Ti 

It will be running a 1080p 1920x1080 on Windows 10 and P3D V4.3, currently running set to 50hz and frame rate unlimited which locks at 50fps. 

I mainly fly in airliners with addon scenery, so some quite hard hitting fps consumers. 

My question is, on paper, will i see an improvement in performance with P3D? 

Many thanks

Adam 

Edited by Adam Reed
Spelling - D'oh!

Adam

Hi Adam.

yes on paper you probably will.. in practice probably not so much.. but the 980 is still an good card, so maybe wait a generation or two..

I believe you will see a decent increase in performance for sure, not super drastic, but should see some performance in my opinion, that being said, the 1180 is just around the corner.

Edited by ziggy

I made that jump and i dont regreted, theres always the wait for the next generation that we hear everytime we ask a question like this, i heard the same thing... but sometimes the wait becomes desperate! The increase can be marginal depending on what are your expectations and how high you gonna push your system, 1080ti is a beast of a card, if you play more than P3D you gonna see impressive increases in some games, but even in P3D they are going to happen, but if you do, do yourself a favour and go to a higher resolution, its almost offensive to play 1080p with a 1080ti 😉

Edited by dmarques69

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

I made the switch a couple of weeks ago.  I have a 40" 4K monitor and noticed a big difference in smoothness and fps.

Lon Duncombe

Thank you for the replies all. I have done some research and have decided to keep saving money and wait for the next gen cards to be released and get a whole new rig at the same time. 

Thanks 

Adam

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, Lon Duncombe said:

I made the switch a couple of weeks ago.  I have a 40" 4K monitor and noticed a big difference in smoothness and fps.

Lon Duncombe

@Lon Duncombe What are your CPU and memory specs? 

I recently bought a 1080ti with the intent to go to a 40" 4K from my current 32" HD display.  I'm worried my CPU / memory (see specs below) may not hack it, but I'm going to do it anyway with the idea that in the future I'll upgrade my MB/CPU/Memory.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I have a 8700K at stock speeds with 16 gig 3200 RAM.  My previous setup was a 4790K ASUS Z97 with the 980Ti and I found that I was redlining both the GPU and CPU in terms of load and  temperature.  No problem with either one now.  I fly PMDG level aircraft with Orbx scenery.  I've never been happier.  I took the FSlabs A-320 for a spin tonight, and it felt like the real deal.  I could not have done that with my previous setup. 

Lon Duncombe

• Like 2

The latest rumour is that Nvidia will say something at gamescom cologne 20th august we will have to wait and see.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I would fire up some monitoring software and see if your GPU utilization or  memory are approaching their maximum for the your heavy ussge scenario. If you're not GPU bound, upgrading to the 1080ti or beyond won't buy you anything.

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

My understanding is that the bitcoin miners are going to snap up those new cards and drive the prices up as they did with the 10x0 series, which is why I didn't wait.