Sign in to follow this  
RancidViper

Vox Atc : Fatal Error and other issues

Hi all,

I have been getting this error in a very specific circumstance. At YPJT Jandakot airport, in the a2a 172 with a custom paint job for the local Singapore Flying School. The aircraft registration is VHYGU. I wonder if this structure is incompatible with VoxAtc. Or could it be something completely different?

Here is the error log:

Cannot create unique G callsign
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.CallsignImpl.CreateGCallsign()
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.FlightPlanner.SetupDepartureFPFromBGLFP(BGLFlightPlan bfp, Aerodrome adIn)
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.FlightPlanner.GetDeparture(Aerodrome adIn, Int32 quadrant)
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.DeparturePortal.GetFlightPlan()
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.AirspacePortalBase.GetNextAircraft()
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.AirspaceExit.GenerateTraffic(DeparturePortal dp)
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.Airspace.GenerateDepTraffic()
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.Aerodrome.GenerateTraffic()
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.AerodromeAircraftGenerator.GenerateTraffic(Dispatcher dispIn)
   at com.intworkings.voxatc.Dispatcher.Run()

TIA.

I don't know if this will help you but the error was reported previously:

5 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I don't know if this will help you but the error was reported previously:

Thanks for that Jay! After reading that I remembered a previous issue I had at this airport and realized the same files I had deleted then to fix the Fatal Error had somehow re appeared in my scenery/World/scenery folder. I have now deleted them and re ran the Indexer. So far no Fatal Error so I hope that was it.

On another note Jay you seem to be quite experienced with VoxAtc. In fact you do a better job at support than the dev himself. So thank you for your time and effort!

I do have a few other small issues with VoxAtc that I was hoping you could help me with, I was not sure if I should create another topic for this or not so I will edit the title of this thread.

I use ASP4 and have connected VoxAtc to the current weather snapshot file. However I always seem to be getting conflicting weather information in the sim.

As soon as I switch to ATIS, the default green text scrolls on top of the screen with weather data. However what is being read back to me is completely different by the Vox controller. Sometimes the text says information Kilo and the controller is reading be information Uniform.

I also have the problem of getting repeated ATIS messages whenever I switch to a Unicom frequency. This makes flying to uncontrolled airfields an absolute nightmare.

Would you have any insight into these issues?

TIA

Actually scratch that first bit, just got the same error again so it's not that. Possibly another ai aircraft. Any tips on how to find out which one it is?

Cheers

I'm at a loss on the G callsign error, except to say that VOXATC supposedly creates unique callsigns for its AI aircraft in two ways. First it tries to create one from the registration in the aircraft.cfg file. Second, if no entry exists like that it tries to create either a G (UK) or N (USA) callsign. Sooo, I'd look for  in aircraft.cfg AI aircraft titles that have:

1. No registration entry in aircraft.cfg

2. A very long entry, for example 6 or more characters after the country code.

3. An entry with special characters, etc..

Here's how to do it by brute force. Use Notepad++. Use the "Find in Files" option. Set the folder option to your highest level AI aircraft folder. Use "aircraft.cfg" as your filter. Search for "atc_id=". This will find all occurrences of the atc_id= line in all aircraft.cfg files in that folder and subfolders.

13 hours ago, RancidViper said:

I also have the problem of getting repeated ATIS messages whenever I switch to a Unicom frequency.

Do you mean that the ATIS keeps repeating over and over? Or that you can't tune the ATIS frequency again on approach?

13 hours ago, RancidViper said:

I use ASP4 and have connected VoxAtc to the current weather snapshot file. However I always seem to be getting conflicting weather information in the sim.

As soon as I switch to ATIS, the default green text scrolls on top of the screen with weather data. However what is being read back to me is completely different by the Vox controller. Sometimes the text says information Kilo and the controller is reading be information Uniform.

As to the weather source, the ASP4 ATIS cycle phonetic code will not match the the one created by VOXATC, but the weather should match up. The ASP4  code is contemporaneous with the real world code for that airport. I believe that the VOXATC phonetic code is generated sequentially during the day (Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, ...)  but at random. I could be wrong on that though. What sim version are you using and how did you connect ASP4 to VOXATC? Again, I could be wrong on this, but I believe that VOXATC gets its weather via FSUIPC which is getting it from the sim itself. 

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the advice, I will certainly have a look in the CFG files for any anomalies when I get home tonight.

12 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Do you mean that the ATIS keeps repeating over and over? Or that you can't tune the ATIS frequency again on approach?

Yes ATIS keeps repeating over and over. And the strangest part of it is, it is not heard through my headphones as all the Vox pilots and controllers are, it actually comes out of my speakers.

The way I have set it up, Vox voices are output through my headphones, and the sim sounds are through my speakers. And I also make sure I deselect the voice setting in P3D whenever I fly with Vox so as to not conflict with the default ATC. However this ATIS voice is definitely one of the Vox voices, but I have no idea why I hear it out of my speakers and I can't turn it off as long as I am on the Unicom frequency.

12 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

As to the weather source, the ASP4 ATIS cycle phonetic code will not match the the one created by VOXATC, but the weather should match up. The ASP4  code is contemporaneous with the real world code for that airport. I believe that the VOXATC phonetic code is generated sequentially during the day (Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, ...)  but at random. I could be wrong on that though. What sim version are you using and how did you connect ASP4 to VOXATC? Again, I could be wrong on this, but I believe that VOXATC gets its weather via FSUIPC which is getting it from the sim itself. 

Thanks for clearing up the way Vox handles the phonetic code. That makes sense now. However I do still notice discrepancies between the weather being read out and the weather in ASP4.

The wind speeds are always calm in Vox regardless of the conditions. The Altimeter settings are almost always wrong. The only thing that's consistently close is the temperature.

I am using P3D V4.3. I have connected ASP4 to Vox Atc by adding the location of the currentweathersnapshot.txt file to the weather path in Vox. That .txt file is what all other software uses to read weather from Active Sky. Like Pro Atc X, REX, etc.

9 hours ago, RancidViper said:

Yes ATIS keeps repeating over and over.

That's easy. Every time you tune to either 122.000, 122.025 or 122.050, the ASP4 ATIS/FlightWatch repeats over and over. The target sound device and the ability to turn that on and off is set in ASP4 Options/Audio options. 122.000 is the ATIS of the closest weather station to the user aircraft. 122.025 is the ATIS of the destination airport (assuming that you have a flight plan loaded in ASP4) and 122.050 is a weather briefing for the flightplan that is loaded in ASP4. If it's happening on another frequency, it is a bug in ASP4.

9 hours ago, RancidViper said:

I have connected ASP4 to Vox Atc by adding the location of the currentweathersnapshot.txt file to the weather path in Vox.

The version of VOXATC that I have doesn't have that option, which I assume that you are seeing in the Advanced Settings utility. In fact. I don't think the ASP4 linkage ever actually did anything in VOXATC 7.41. The only thing that I can suggest is to download the VOXATC installer from their website and install over the top with the new installer. If you uninstall, the present version, you might lose your settings. You should also save a backup copy of  the vareg.key file in your VOXATC Roaming folder:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Internal Workings\VoxATC P3D 4

just in the event that it gets deleted when you install the new version.  It's possible that the installer has actually been updated silently since VOXATC 7.41 was first released. I'm confused as you are by all this, but I'm pretty sure that VOXATC gets its weather via FSUIPC 5, so make sure that you have the most recent version of that installed also. FSUIPC 5, VOXATC and the sim are getting the weather from the same source, ASP4. They all may interpolate METAR data differently, though. You'd have to ask Pete Dowson (FSUIPC 5) about why there might be discrepancies.

Edited by jabloomf1230

@RancidViper

Please, can you elaborate on that : "I have connected ASP4 to Vox Atc by adding the location of the currentweathersnapshot.txt file to the weather path in Vox."

As Jay pointed out, to my knowledge (I have the latest version of Vox), I can't find a "weather path" in Vox. The only path that must and can be used is the one for the folder that contains the LevelD format Nav Data for SIDS and STARS. Mine is E:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Level-D Simulations\navdata that I enter in the Advanced Settings...

-Can you tell me in which Vox subprogram I will be able to enter the currentweathersnapshot.txt file?

-About your ATIS repetition (not sure about that but...)...wouldn't you have the ATIS frequency entered also in your second com?

EDIT: Is the voice of ASP4 activated? For information: ASP4 assigns by default the following frequencies:

122.00 (ATIS of the closest weather station will be played).
122.02 (the same like previously but for active destination airport of the FP.
and ...122.05 (a concise weather briefing for the rest of the flight will be played).

Regards,

Edited by DrumsArt

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

You can't in VOXATC 7 to my knowledge. I vaguely remember the option in previous versions. 

On 7/30/2018 at 1:05 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

Here's how to do it by brute force. Use Notepad++. Use the "Find in Files" option. Set the folder option to your highest level AI aircraft folder. Use "aircraft.cfg" as your filter. Search for "atc_id=". This will find all occurrences of the atc_id= line in all aircraft.cfg files in that folder and subfolders.

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I had a few things happening that I needed to take care of.

Jay I checked in the aircraft.cfg files in my SimObjects/Airplanes folder and there are so many without an atc id. Lots of FTX planes as well, I don't know if this is correct or not. And what should I do about it?

With regards to the weather, you guys are right, that option is not there anymore. I definitely remember it being there at some point though. Also thanks so much for the tip on ASP4 flight watch I had never noticed that option and it's been bugging me forever!

I have installed the latest version of FSUIPC but it's only the free version. I have not needed to register it so far so I may have to consider that and see if it fixes the weather discrepancies.

atc_id missing usually is not a problem by itself. For commercial flights VOXATC generates a flight number based on the airline code and a random 3 digit number. For GA flights if atc_id is missing VOXATC generates a random N or G code. This is also generally okay unless it accidentally duplicates another code from another AI title. The real problem stems from a value of atc_id that is either too long or one that contains special characters.

I would guess that a typo elsewhere in the aircraft.cfg file might cause this problem too. Which FTX AI package are you using, the AU package designed for P3d4?

You could try scanning your AI aircraft folders with AI Aircraft Editor which will find errors in all the aircraft.cfg files.

http://www.owlsnest.eu/tools.php