Sign in to follow this  
Fly_High

Weather/Wind Data different

Hello,

First of all, thank you very very much for this great Addon, I can't fly without it anymore 😉

just one little issue I noticed:

In the weather Tab, the wind info always is 1 degree different as in the "official" METAR (see attached screenshot). All the other METAR info is correct

Happens at all airports.

Thank you,

33361616ni.png

LNM is showing the magnetic heading as indicated in the string. ( M )

METAR headings are reported TRUE.

Edited by srcooke

Thank you for your reaction, but I'm very sorry, I don't exactly understand what you mean

What Stephen said is correct.

The 190 in the METAR report is related to true North. EHAM has a magnetic declination of 1.1° East which results in 189 degrees magnetic course (rounded).

Look at airports like PAFA. The difference is much more noticeable there.

Alex

Okay, I understand, thank you for clarifying.

May I ask if there's a special reason for you to display it like this, or some sort of advantage?

Thank you

3 hours ago, Swordfish1 said:

May I ask if there's a special reason for you to display it like this, or some sort of advantage?

Runway numbers and headings are based on magnetic values, HSI and compass in the aircraft display magnetic, etc. Calculating the crab angle for approach will be based on magnetic values.

Magnetic heading is the more useful value there IMO. If you need true wind direction you can still look at the raw METAR.

Alex

"Everything the weather man writes is true."

The rest is magnetic! 

(In other words - any time you see a written weather report - ie a METAR, TAF, synoptic chart etc - any bearings/directions etc will be in degrees true. Spoken reports - on the ATIS, from the tower etc - will be in degrees magnetic.)

• Like 2