Sign in to follow this  
iTz DOLPH

Confused as to how I'm supposed to fly IFR.

So what did you do to fix it? Also what program did you use to export the flight plan? I tried using every fpl file offered by simbrief but they failed to load. I then tried little nav map and exported using the setting specifically made for the rxp gns 530 and, while i got further in the process, it said i had incorrect waypoints???

I just downloaded the GNS 530/430 and can't seem to figure out how to import or load even a P3D flight plan into the systems. Upon following all instructions, I can't get any fpl file to load in the 530 in the sim, ive used simbrief and littlenavmap to export my flight plans directly for the RXP GNS 530/430 but i get an error about unsupported waypoints even though I have an ultimate and latest subscription to navigraph, which is what simbrief uses to map the flight plan. When I try to create a default p3d flight plan in the default nav planner, the waypoints dont show up on the RXP map, nor i get the magenta gps bar. I don't know about RXP's refund policy but I just can't justify this purchase if I am not even able to properly fly an IFR flight plan with ATC giving me proper flight level adjustments because I cruise at FL 450 in an LJ25. 

Unsupported waypoints are due to the GNS having a different database cycle. This is due to the Trainer that drives the GNS which has the latest database provided by Garmin.

Suggest you read the manual about User Definded Waypoints to help you.

In the real world there are no import facilities for the GNS. Manual import is normal.

Edited by DavidP
  • Upvote 2

David Porrett

Manual plug and chug waypoints as they appear on the flight plan. It's how I did it for years when I was flying Part 135 and instructing.  We didn't have a nice import feature from a flight planner.  Doesn't get more realistic than that.

• Upvote 3

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I figured it out. If anyone is wondering, I was able to edit the flight plan that was weird and it had a bunch of waypoints labaled "lcked", i just deleted those in the 530 and was on my way. I assume the lcked ones are new waypoints that the old 2005 garmin database doesn't recognize.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyGuapo said:

I just downloaded the GNS 530/430 and can't seem to figure out how to import or load even a P3D flight plan into the systems.

Unaware of P3D capabilities, but with FSX the direction is opposite.  With use of RXP you enter the flight plan into the RXP and then export it to a FSX .pln file that you then load into FSX.  Would have to expect that would still be the same.......

There are capabilities (apps or web sites) external to both RXP and FSX, and likely P3D, where you can complete a flight plan and then import into RXP, which then can export to to .pln files that can then be loaded into the sim(s).

In an ideal world it would be smoother.  But in our sim world it is a three-party exercise.  Flight planning, import to gps, save to simulation.  Whoops. Fourth step is to load the saved sim format flight plan into the simulator.

Sounds complex. But when the workflow is understood and executed it becomes second-nature. Just like flying!

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, fppilot said:

Unaware of P3D capabilities, but with FSX the direction is opposite.  With use of RXP you enter the flight plan into the RXP and then export it to a FSX .pln file that you then load into FSX.  Would have to expect that would still be the same.......

There are capabilities (apps or web sites) external to both RXP and FSX, and likely P3D, where you can complete a flight plan and then import into RXP, which then can export to to .pln files that can then be loaded into the sim(s).

In an ideal world it would be smoother.  But in our sim world it is a three-party exercise.  Flight planning, import to gps, save to simulation.  Whoops. Fourth step is to load the saved sim format flight plan into the simulator.

Sounds complex. But when the workflow is understood and executed it becomes second-nature. Just like flying!

Oh I'm fully aware of the external sites used to create flight plans...My favorite is simbrief but unfortunately it doesn't export to the correct flp file type. An app called littlenavapp is able to export the correct format but it has "locked" waypoints. These locked waypoints are because I'm using the latest AIRAC cycle which has the current waypoints/vors/nbs/etc from jul to aug 2018 instead of old crap from 2005. I was able to edit it directly in game and was able to delete the locked waypoints.

It's amazing to me that garmin doesn't offer a subscription to navdata for flight simmers, it would be an added revenue stream.

5 hours ago, JohnnyGuapo said:

It's amazing to me that garmin doesn't offer a subscription to navdata for flight simmers, it would be an added revenue stream.

Garmin's products were never aimed at simmers.

As for an income stream, if you look at the prices they charge for their products, you would see that any additional income from simmers would be insignificant to the extent of being irrelevant.

As a real world owner of Garmin avionics, I know this from experience.

Simmers are very lucky to be even able to experience the equipment we use in the real world.

Edited by DavidP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

David Porrett

@JohnnyGuapo Hi, you are raising interesting questions.

First, the default DB shipping with the GNS V2 is more recent than what you mention, although, it is quite old at the same time. Nonetheless, maybe (out of my mind) 80% of the data is still valid and fine.

As for updating DB, like I've said in the past, we are too engaged in developing our Garmin product line right now, but once we've released the entire suite, and some other 'unannounced' products yet, I'll personally take over looking deeply into this. I have some ideas about this and I know, you (our customers) have voiced this in the past too, that DB updates is important for a number of you. I just wish I have a magic wand but there is so much hours a day.

Wpts gets 'lockd' when not in the DB, however, I think Little Nav Map is able to also output a user waypoint file with the waypoints so that you can import them in the GNS along with the flight plan.

As for simulator GPS / GNS V2 sync, when using the GNS V2, it IS your main navigation device. Our product offers several ways to 'sync back' the simulator to the GNS V2 flight plan:

1) There is an option to automatically export a FSX/X-Plane formatted flight plan file (it updates to disk whenever the flight plan changes). This is meant to be loaded in the simulator for ATC purposes.

2) There is an option to automatically export the current route (next waypoints) to the simulator GPS. It is meant to display the route (albeit in a series of straight line segments) to any third party EFIS/moving map gauge/plugin which is using the default simulator GPS route.

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

2 hours ago, RXP said:

Wpts gets 'lockd' when not in the DB, however, I think Little Nav Map is able to also output a user waypoint file with the waypoints so that you can import them in the GNS along with the flight plan.

Waypoints get locked when the GPS cannot distinguish them as present in the DB and unique.  That can mean that the waypoint is not in the DB, but it can also mean that there is more than one waypoint in the DB that share the same name.  The GPS does not assume which it is that you want.

If you manually enter a route, and a waypoint has a duplicate, the GPS will prompt you to choose.  It is not able or coded to do that during an import.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

7 hours ago, RXP said:

@JohnnyGuapo Hi, you are raising interesting questions.

As for updating DB, like I've said in the past, we are too engaged in developing our Garmin product line right now, but once we've released the entire suite, and some other 'unannounced' products yet, I'll personally take over looking deeply into this. I have some ideas about this and I know, you (our customers) have voiced this in the past too, that DB updates is important for a number of you. 

That is great news to see! I would be willing to pay a subscription (hopefully not too expensive) or maybe we could choose which cycles to update using a one time fee? "Unannounced products" has peaked my interests, I can't wait to see what's in store. Just as an FYI, I decided to go ahead and refund the GTS series and purchase the GTN series and....WOW are those units amazing and much more efficient for usage in my LJ-25 after some minor tweaking to get them installed thanks another user here, Bills511 who is a savant at installing the GTN series in panels. I was sad to refund the GNS but I will definitely re-purchase them next pay cycle for my smaller planes. I admit, I also bought the F1 version of the GTN series but refunded that as well. I'm not sure what it is but you guys have the edge.

Edited by RXP