Sign in to follow this  
Guest brillo

Turn my beige mountains dark gray

Guest brillo

It finally dawned on me. I was just looking at screenshots of other folks' mountain scenes here and at the download site, and I figured out what's been bothering me lately. Above the tree line, mountain tops in the screenshots are gray, dark gray, or dark brown. All my exposed rock, cliffs, mountains,etc., are light pinkish brown. That works fine in the Grand Canyon, but almost everywhere else, light brown is wrong. I think I recall having a choice of the color (hue? tone?) of the rocks, mountains, cliffs, etc., when installing an addon some time back. A global thing, like the changes realitypack makes. I think there was a choice of brown, gray, dark gray mountains, etc. (???) similar to the choices you get in some of the water addons, rivers, oceans. I tried the the switches found in "realterrain2.0" and "realdetail" in realitypack1.2, part2, they didn't do it. Could someone with better recall point me in the right direction here? Thanks.Rob

Guest allcott

You don't say where you are flying, but try widening your flying area. The cliffs aren't that colour in the rest of the world, only parts of North America. Try Norway!Allcott

Guest brillo

Thanks Alcott for responding.Tried Alcott's suggestion, flew Norway, the Alps, the Canada Rockies, Mount Kenya. All (ALL) the exposed rock cliffs, etc., are light brown/beige with medium brown "highlights". Again, I recall an addon that talked about the color (hue, tone, shade) of exposed rocks and gave choices of brown, gray or dark gray. I recall choosing brown. I think that color of rocks was not the main purpose of the addon. The addon might have given choices for the color, texture, brightness, size of several environmental variable(s), honestly I don't recall. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Taking a different direction: Since this is a worldwide problem, there must be one or very few *.bgls and/or *.bmps somewhere in the main texture folder, the fs9/scenery/world/... folder or the fs9/scenery/base/.. folder that determine(s) the color of the whole world's rocks. Somebody know which one(s), its name? I look at all those backup subfolders in the main texture folder and the think that somewhere in there are my gray rocks.No jokes.Rob

I personally prefer the "fall" colors with more grey tones, and usually change the time to late Oct. or Nov.The majority of my simming is mountain areas.L.Adamson

Guest Tingoose

Brillo, I do have a vague recollection of some addon having the ability to allow the user to choose the colour of rocks but, like you, I can't remember which it was. One solution to your problem that occurred to me was to download a handy little application by Martin Wright called 'TV View' which allows you to view all your textures in FS in the form of thumbnails; you can also open each one as a larger image on screen for closer inspection. I've used it in the days when I used to pick 'n mix my scenery textures and it works very well. You could then easily browse through all your bmps until you find the textures your are looking for. Martin Wright is the chap who also developed DXT3bmp incidentally. Here's his website address : http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/

Guest allcott

I'm sure like the others that you have inadvertently replaced some files. Have you tried restoring all the default textures from the FS CD's?The alternative is to simply use the search function of the Avsim library - I put in `mountain` and got this file, among many others, which may both explain your problem, and solve it.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...scen&DLID=81981It's always a good idea to search the file library for the solutions to these things - then you aren't relying on memory - I think I had the Reality Pack textures installed for about ten minutes and yet this file seems to recognise the issue and change the affected textures.Personally, I'd recommend you buy G E Pro and have done with it!Allcott

Guest Tingoose

Alcott wrote:". . . Personally, I'd recommend you buy G E Pro and have done with it!. . . " I'll second that word for word.

Guest brillo

Alcott found it! Thank you. I knew it was an addon somehow related to realitypack.I DID search the files, but entered "gray cliffs mountains", didn't come up with the one Alcott found. Should have kept trying.As for G E Pro, I'm waiting to see what works and what doesn't with FSX before any more payware. Maybe next spring.Thanks again to AlcottRob