Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Future of travel may not be in the skies

Very nice.

30 years or so ago I worked for Air Research on a Linear Induction Motor Research Vehicle in Colorado.  But it used a turbine powered alternator to generate the current to react against the reaction rail.  I was an instrumentation tech on the project and also one of the pilots.  I drove the vehicle up to 190 MPH.  It wasn't levitated and for a short time held the speed record for steel wheels on rails..

I have an interest in maglev and linear reaction motors which this vehicle apparently uses.

But I think at this point in time super cooling the magnets would be extremely expensive for commercial use.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

6 hours ago, birdguy said:

Very nice.

30 years or so ago I worked for Air Research on a Linear Induction Motor Research Vehicle in Colorado.  But it used a turbine powered alternator to generate the current to react against the reaction rail.  I was an instrumentation tech on the project and also one of the pilots.  I drove the vehicle up to 190 MPH.  It wasn't levitated and for a short time held the speed record for steel wheels on rails..

I have an interest in maglev and linear reaction motors which this vehicle apparently uses.

But I think at this point in time super cooling the magnets would be extremely expensive for commercial use.

Noel

Yes, unless they have found some efficient way to super cool, they say they use nitrogen.  But if this really works it could make travel much faster and cheaper, provided one can build such a large infrastructure in real time.

Interesting article WingZ.  Now there are two tracks to develop; cheap super cooling and room temperature superconductors.  I have no doubt the future will see both of these.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.