Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Headset Plus Speakers

Not sure if this has been asked before but my question is can a headset be used only for hearing ATC while external speakers used for aircraft and environmental sounds?  If so, how do I accomplish this?  Thanks for any guidance.

Jim

You need a USB headset.  If you have one, in the windows sound configuration set the microphone (under the recording tab) to the headset microphone. Under the playback tab set the default playback to your speakers.

In P3D, leave the default sound settings.

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom.  I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Jim

It will also depend on the program generating the sound. Many of the ATC programs output to the default sound device only not the communication (voice) device.  Look for a freeware program cal;led AUDIOROUTER - this will allow you to map the ATC to the headset for those programs.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

54 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

AUDIOROUTER

Just an FYI:  I tried using AudioRouter, and it never really worked correctly and after install left some issues with my PC... one if that regardless of other settings, anytime I use Push to Talk all sounds are reduced (remember I said regardless of other settings, so I did check under the Communications Tab and "Do Nothing" is selected... plus I tried using each setting there and going back to "Do Nothing" to set whatever software flag needed to be set and the problem remains).  I also uninstalled and reinstalled the sound driver and associated Realtek software and the problem remains.

The other problems (except for the one above) I had were resolved when I stopped Audio Router, but it sure seems like it was the cause.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  All systems are different and what I experienced may not It may be the experience that others may have.  Also, it's been roughly a year since I tried AudioRouter so there may be updates/improvements.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I agree Dave - I had similar issues when I first tried AR and generally wound up with a CTD. This was over a year ago. Thought I'd give it a try again because I hate ATC coming through the speakers and ProATCx and PF3 both map to the default.

So far, it has worked as expected for both programs. Fingers crossed though.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I think if you have a program that only sends output to the default, you can set the default to the headset and in P3D you then direct sound (not voice) to your speakers.

Tom

Nope - you can't do that in P3D.

Vic

Open the Windows control panel sound applet. Set the headset as the Default Communications Device. Under the Sound applet Communications tab, make sure that the "Do nothing" radio button is on. P3d4 recognizes that the comm device is for the default ATC only. Other sounds will continue to be directed to the default sound device, usually your speakers.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:02 AM, tjrush said:

You need a USB headset.  If you have one, in the windows sound configuration set the microphone (under the recording tab) to the headset microphone. Under the playback tab set the default playback to your speakers.

In P3D, leave the default sound settings.

Hi

Sorry but you are incorrect in saying that a USB headset is needed. If you have 2 soundcards in your computer then 1 can be used for ATC and the other used for the main sound. A USB headset is just another option because it is in essence adding its own card

Ken

• Like 1