Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

The Easy World of X-Plane :-)

Whenever I'm in the mood to play it, I find good reasons to enjoy, even the most little but sometimes important details...

With my only two airliners in XP11, the Tooliss A319 and the FF A320 U, I started using that great plugin "Better Pushback", but I installed it initially under the

Global Resources folder, thus making it available for any session...

Moved it inside the "plugins" folders of those two airliners et voilà - it's only active when it makes sense, which is when I am playing being an Airbus captain 🙂

Could it be simpler / cleaner ?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have 3TB of airports, scenery and libraries on a second disk, and i just shortcut the 2 that im flying to, that way XP doenst has to read all that every time, the beautiful simplicity of XP 😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Wow Marques,

I had never thought of that one!  Good trick !!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

20 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Wow Marques,

I had never thought of that one!  Good trick !!!!!

Is the best option my friend, you save time and resources, if you have all in the custom scenery folder, every time you fly over one of those airports XP as to read all stuff it in memory and you not even going to see it, well maybe from a cruise altitude 🙂

Some people even delete the global airports folder!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Just out of curiosity...

Do you actually "shortcut" à-lá Windowzzze.... or create soft links ?

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

29 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Just out of curiosity...

Do you actually "shortcut" à-lá Windowzzze.... or create soft links ?

Plain and simple windows shortcut, you just fire XP and it creates all the entries in the scenery file, works like a charm 😉 

• Like 2

Marques

I run XP11 from a 512 GB USB3 SSD. Linux and Windows binaries coexist in the same installation folder to share the same resources (although it requires a workaround during initial installation of either flavor).

One thing I still need to figure out is a multiplatform solution to automatically copy the right preference files depending on computer name (too lazy to change graphics settings and controller assignments each and every time).

Other than that, I basically have a mulitplatform plug&play flight simulator now.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

15 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

I run XP11 from a 512 GB USB3 SSD. Linux and Windows binaries coexist in the same installation folder to share the same resources (although it requires a workaround during initial installation of either flavor).

One thing I still need to figure out is a multiplatform solution to automatically copy the right preference files depending on computer name (too lazy to change graphics settings and controller assignments each and every time).

Other than that, I basically have a mulitplatform plug&play flight simulator now.

What do u mean? you just need to copy the keys, joystick and calibration .prf files located in the preferences folder!

Marques

Yes, that's what I love about X-Plane. No tweaking - just fly. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

4 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

What do u mean? you just need to copy the keys, joystick and calibration .prf files located in the preferences folder!

That's too much work for a lazy person.

2 hours ago, Bjoern said:

That's too much work for a lazy person.

LOL avsim lacks of a smile reaction, i can even do a .bat for you to do that for 9.99

Marques

Sorry to be a Dumbo but can you give an example of the short cut. Do you just have a blank Custom Scenery folder in the main Xplane folder and have the short cut to just the scenery required on the other drive?

Would appreciate an example as I'm not clear on how to structure it so that it is seen by Xplane in the Custom Scenery folder, if that's how its done.

Many Thanks

Ian

Ian Cameron

12 hours ago, bowingic said:

Sorry to be a Dumbo but can you give an example of the short cut. Do you just have a blank Custom Scenery folder in the main Xplane folder and have the short cut to just the scenery required on the other drive?

Would appreciate an example as I'm not clear on how to structure it so that it is seen by Xplane in the Custom Scenery folder, if that's how its done.

Many Thanks

Ian

Ian as simple as it gets, example folder with custom airports in D:/airports, X-plane in C:\X-plane\Custom Scenery, you pick the aiport in D, drag it with the right mouse button to the custom scenry folder release the button and choose create shortcut, you can rename the shortcut for whatever you want then start XP, the aiport is going to show in scenery ini file, you just need to order to the right position, in the case of custom airports they go on top so you dont have to do anything 😉

• Like 1

Marques

15 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

LOL avsim lacks of a smile reaction, i can even do a .bat for you to do that for 9.99

Just because I'm lazy doesn't mean I have no skills. 😛

(Batch scripting is one of them.)