Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Preferred SIDS/STARS question

Is there a database that offers the preferred SIDS/STARS for the USA runways? I have the SIM PLATES database which offers preferred routing, but it does not have a preferred SIDS/STARS database. Example - suppose I am flying from NY KLGA to Boston KBOS. Let's suppose I know I am to be landing on Runway 27 in KBOS, as I apporach from the West. Is there a database that I cold look up the prederred STAR for this runway when I am approaching from the West? If I knew what it was, I could enter it in my FMC before I took off and make it part of my flight plan. Anyone?Thanks.Chris Catalano

Guest MD11Forever

I usually look at Airnav for the STAR charts, then look up a corresponding actual flight on Flightaware.com and try to cross-reference the STAR. Most of the time you can make an educated guess on the STAR to use based on the direction you are arriving from. I think STAR use is not really that dependent on what runway is in use as that can change at a moments notice. All that would happen is that the aircraft would get vectored around to the proper runway. Perhaps someone esle will have a better idea how it all works. :)

LGA -> BOS HIGH ALTITUDE# 5 - BDR - (NAVAID - VOR/DME)# 5 - MERIT - (FIX C)# 5 - MERIT - (FIX C)# 10 - V229 - (AIRWAY)# 10 - ORW - (NAVAID - VOR/DME)# 10 - ORW - (NAVAID - VOR/DME)# 15 - HFD - (NAVAID - VOR/DME)# 15 - NORWICH - (STAR) <<<<<<<<<<<<<# 15 - NORWICH - (STAR) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<# 20 - HFD - (NAVAID - VOR/DME [RAD/DIST = 053])# 25 - DREEM - (FIX M)http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/K...R/NORWICH+THREEThis preferred route is from Simplates 2004. It is missing in IFRs the STARS for KBOS. You can see option item 15 in the preferred route is the NORWICH STAR. Using flightaware.com RESOURCES section I located the NORWICH 3 STAR there available for download. You can also use www.naco.faa.gov for downloading FAA airport charts.http://www.fly.faa.gov/Products/Coded_Depa...s_database.htmlis a form you can fill out for current preferred routes that you can paste into a document. Just fill out the departure and destination. Too many fields filled out get you a no result answer.Simplates is good but is not always complete. They have some good international products but the source (DoD FLIPS) is not complete as I purchased several of them and they were also missing some airports. When that fails I use VATSIM area chapter resources navigating to the desired country.So in summary the STARS are in the high altitude preferred routes.

Chris,I have not looked at KBOS SID/STAR (I am here at work)Depending on the type of aircraft and the direction where you are coming from (Enroute) and the expected Runway, do you really find more than 1 STAR?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest MD11Forever

I think the problem may lie with understanding how STARs work- to my knowledge they have nothing to do with what runway is in use, but everything to do with what direction an aircraft is coming from. The runway in use at a destination airport could change 10 times while you are enroute...

That depends on the STAR. An RNAV arrival is usually runway specific (or parallel specific). Those are the ones I like the best because they're the easiest to fly from an FMC programming standpoint. You have every single fix and alt restriction right down to the IAF for the runway.Another way to check is to use simroutes.com. Although it is virtual in nature for use on VATSIM, most are real world FAA prefered routes/procedures that the ARTCC's have found out through various real world sources.Not every single route for every airport will be there though. If you're departing from an airport like say, a Class D airport that is not used very much you'll need to use other sources such as flightaware for at least your first few waypoints/airways, etc.In other words you may depart and have to pick up an airway directly or a VOR or a fix, and so on and so on.If you're doing overseas flights you'll need to do alot more research. I use routefinder.org then go out and search out charts for those airports. that's where you'll really have to learn the airport layout, get the weather and select the best SID/STAR and IAP for your airports. Same for your departure airport. Generally you'll need to print out ALL the charts for your dep and arr airports because if your flight is a long one the weather will change and you'll need to re-program before starting on the arrival.Anyways, that's kind of it in a nutshell, simroutes.com /airnav.com (US), then routefinder.org for overseas. You can usually find most overseas charts from the VATSIM or IVAO sites also once you figure out where you're going.Hope that helps.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Also, some airports have SID/STAR's for turbo props only so don't forget to read the chart and make sure the equpment you're flying qualifies you for the that particular SID/STAR.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

SID/STAR sytems vary internationally.In the UK SIDS and STARS are associated with an airway (outbound or inbound respectively) and the STARS terminate in holds that serve all runways and directions. This avoids the ambiguities that seems to occur elsewhere.