Sign in to follow this  
forshaw

FSX performance dropped when upgraded my G/Card

Hello all, very interesting issue I have. My NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB EVGA Superclocked which died after 4 yrs.

So, I replaced it with the GTX 1060 SSC 6GB and funny (or not funny) enough I saw a slight degradation in performance, just plug and play no changes whatsoever. Yes, I did see some graphics improvements no question about. I updated to the latest drivers that’s all I did I didn’t want to make any changes to my Sim since after 4 yrs. on this rig I finally found the sweet spot between performance, smoothness and texture. My FPS have dropped by between 5-10 or lower sometimes with this card.

I generally got 27-30 FPS (FPS locked at 30) sitting on the runway (NY Drzewiecki Airport scenery) medium weather scattered somewhat heavy clouds with the iFLY 747 V2. With all my sceneries sliders maxed out. Flying into the airport about the same with fair weather Never got OOM and still don’t.

With the new card I hover around 17ish – 22/23 same conditions. Yes, the airport and aircraft combination are not ideal for best performance but that’s what I use. Now flying into the airports with heavy clouds it’s another story. The new card isn’t any better sometimes I really think it’s worse than the old one. It shutters a lot and sometimes goes to 8 FPS for a few seconds. The shutters weren’t as much with the old card with bad weather.

So, I did reduce the scenery sliders a little and it did help a little maybe I expected more from the card, as stated on the earlier post. It should at least get the same as the older on. Maybe I need to tweak my system to work better with the Card. Maybe I need to tweak by config file for the card to perform better (add BufferPool?) but I really don’t want to go down that rabbit hole, too much conflicting information on some of those tweaks. Not sure if it makes that much of a difference.  Maybe I need to turn down my settings to find another sweet spot, and purchase GEX NA. V2 scenery so that way I just really turn down my Auto Gen settings since I think it doesn’t need to be high with the scenery software. At least I’ll get good scenery. I even called NVIDIA tech support and they suggested I set the Power management mode to adaptive instead of Max power performance to help with the shutters especially why turning, due to reports they got. That really didn’t help.  

I have been flying MS FS for a long time pre-2000 so I grew up this sim and know that this generation is a CPU hog, less on the card.

Here are a few points to put thing in prospective:

Changes: I current don’t have any changes (tweaks) to my FSX config file just changes to the apps

DX10: Enabled with Steve Fixer and tweaked for DX10. For me it does work better than DX9

Nvidia: Latest inspector tweaked for performance (there isn’t that much to change in the inspector once DX10 is enabled the settings are few) The fixer does a lot.

Aircrafts: iFLY 747 V2. and Quality Wings B757

Airports: I only fly in and out of add-on Airports NYC (Drzewiecki) which is the heaviest on FPS than the others, so I always use that as the gauge since if that’s a little acceptable, then the others wouldn’t be any worse. The others are Miami, SFO, Seattle and Boston. I have no add on Scenery.

Weather Engine/Clouds: I have Asn16 / REX4 texture direct with soft clouds   

Add-on Scenery: None (thinking of getting GEX NA V2)

My system below as you can see it’s not high end but not too low end either

Processer: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K OC to 4.4 with a liquid cooler.

Memory: 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 --- 1x PCIe 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0, 6x SATA-III 6Gb/s

Monitor Res: 2550x1440x32

Sorry of the all the information but I wanted to provide as much so that you can maybe suggest something I missed. Or maybe it’s just one of those things I need to live with.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

kindest Regards.

Forshaw

I agree with Bert, the resulting comparative performance is somewhat of a mixed bag, but can we see your current  FSX.cfg  perhaps the old [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770.0] is still in the config.

Oh shocks. Very interesting point you make Bert I did not know. I actually tried to get another 770 but couldn't find one on the market. After reviewing the 1060 I just thought that it would be a step up. If I can get someone to buy my card (it's only 2 weeks old) I will get the 1070. I try not to go for the best cards ($$$$) since FSX as you know doesn't really utilize it since it's more CPU.

Jethro, thanks for the your suggesting yes it was changed here is the areas in my config file where it is referenced. I noticed that segments 2 and 4 are the same not sure if it that's problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060.0]

Mode=2560x1440x32

AntiAlias=1

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060.0]

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 .0]

Mode=2560x1440x32

TriLinear=1

AntiAlias=1

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again Bert and Jethro.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.

There should only be one section with this title

either delete three of them, or delete the whole fsx.cfg file and start with a fresh copy.

Here is my (one) entry:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.0]
Mode=1920x1080x32
TriLinear=1
AntiAlias=1

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Hi Bert,

I spent a while typing this post  then yours popped up in the interum, so I have posted it anyway, it says pretty much the same as your latest, however you are correct.

Hello Forshaw,

I see in your first entry it opens with { instead of [   and Anisotropic is not enabled nor any other type texture Filtering.
The second entry is not necessary

The third entry is set to trilinear 

3 hours ago, forshaw said:

{DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060.0]

Mode=2560x1440x32

AntiAlias=1

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

Mode=2560x1440x32

TriLinear=1

AntiAlias=1

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

If you remove the first, secondthird entries leaving the remaining fourth entry, things may be much improved. If there are no other inconsistencies in your FSX.cfg
No promises though as the GTX1060 is still a mixed performance bag as Bert has pointed out, the GTX1070 is a much better choice (when replacing videocards, from generation upwards ie 700 series to 1000 series always select a comparable series factor ie; 70x for 70x and  80x for 80x  example: GTX770 with GTX1070  GTX760 with GTX1060  and so on, the advancement will be considerable even where old code FSX is concerned. Other gaming and 64bit P3D will certainly be vastly improved with technologies in the 1000 series GPU's and current drivers. It is true that FSX does not greatly benefit from the latest GPU's but that's not the only task you may wish to use a shiny new GPU so the benefits are many with an upgrade.
You have too many "Display.Device" entries for only one monitor, I do not see where you have the additional "Display.Device" entry if you have enabled DX10

It is ok to have one device enrty for DX9 default mode and one for DX10 mode denoted by .0 & .0.0 respectivley

Additional screens will be denoted with a .1  .2  for default DX9 mode and .0.1  .0.2 & so on respectively

There should be only one "Display.Device" entry while using only one monitor under DX9 including Mode=2560x1440x32 (your current fullscreen resolution) 
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1

ie;

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

If you enable DX10 then there will be a new entry for Display.Device with a .0.0 ie;

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060.0.0]

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

Edited by Jethro

Hi Folks;

Thank you so much for the information it's very valuable. When I first installed the card and didn't get the performance, I started changing things such as using the NVIDIA native graphics set up menu instead of the NV Inspector, then reverted back to DX9 just to confirm if DX10 was causing it. Then i did other combinations between the Fixer (with DX10), NVI and Native NVIDIA with and without DX9. So that may account for the inconsistencies in the file, which could have made things a little worse.

I will delete the 3 entries and keep the one as suggested and then run FSX and see how it goes will also see what the config file looks like after. If it doesn't go well I will just delete the config file and start from fresh. Will do it this evening and will keep you posted regardless.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain in details and the informative information on graphics card selecting, I really appreciate it folks.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.

7 hours ago, forshaw said:

I started changing things such as using the NVIDIA native graphics set up menu instead of the NV Inspector

They both basically change exactly the same things (but with a few extra options in NVIDIA Inspector). Just think of NI as an enhanced NVIDIA Control Panel.

When you installed the new graphics drivers, did use the "clean install" advanced option or just install them over the old ones? Not using clean install can leave some random bits of the old driver around which can affect performance.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

They both basically change exactly the same things (but with a few extra options in NVIDIA Inspector). Just think of NI as an enhanced NVIDIA Control Panel.

When you installed the new graphics drivers, did use the "clean install" advanced option or just install them over the old ones? Not using clean install can leave some random bits of the old driver around which can affect performance.

Good point, no I don't  remember doing a "clean install". Just regular. I do remember reading somewhere about always do a clean install. Should I uninstall everything using Uninstall via the Control Panel or "uninstall" (Advance) via the Device Manager? and then do a clean install? Does it make a difference how I uninstall it, I just want to make sure I do it the correct way from beginning to end.

Thank you.

22 hours ago, Jethro said:

Hi Bert,

I spent a while typing this post  then yours popped up in the interum, so I have posted it anyway, it says pretty much the same as your latest, however you are correct.

Hello Forshaw,

I see in your first entry it opens with { instead of [   and Anisotropic is not enabled nor any other type texture Filtering.
The second entry is not necessary

The third entry is set to trilinear 

If you remove the first, secondthird entries leaving the remaining fourth entry, things may be much improved. If there are no other inconsistencies in your FSX.cfg
No promises though as the GTX1060 is still a mixed performance bag as Bert has pointed out, the GTX1070 is a much better choice (when replacing videocards, from generation upwards ie 700 series to 1000 series always select a comparable series factor ie; 70x for 70x and  80x for 80x  example: GTX770 with GTX1070  GTX760 with GTX1060  and so on, the advancement will be considerable even where old code FSX is concerned. Other gaming and 64bit P3D will certainly be vastly improved with technologies in the 1000 series GPU's and current drivers. It is true that FSX does not greatly benefit from the latest GPU's but that's not the only task you may wish to use a shiny new GPU so the benefits are many with an upgrade.
You have too many "Display.Device" entries for only one monitor, I do not see where you have the additional "Display.Device" entry if you have enabled DX10

It is ok to have one device enrty for DX9 default mode and one for DX10 mode denoted by .0 & .0.0 respectivley

Additional screens will be denoted with a .1  .2  for default DX9 mode and .0.1  .0.2 & so on respectively

There should be only one "Display.Device" entry while using only one monitor under DX9 including Mode=2560x1440x32 (your current fullscreen resolution) 
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1

ie;

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

If you enable DX10 then there will be a new entry for Display.Device with a .0.0 ie;

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060.0.0]

Mode=2560x1440x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

So, I deleted the multiple entries and kept the one. Everything worked but no better in performance. Will do a clean install in my driver and see what happens.

Thanks again Folks.

There is a reason why a 1070 is more money than a 1060... Unfortunately sometimes it makes a difference... Although I would have thought that for FSX, a 1060 would do the job..  Maybe time to dial the scenery settings back a bit so that the card can handle it better.. 

Bert

You were running the same resolution with the 770?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

There is a reason why a 1070 is more money than a 1060... Unfortunately sometimes it makes a difference... Although I would have thought that for FSX, a 1060 would do the job..  Maybe time to dial the scenery settings back a bit so that the card can handle it better.. 

Hi Bert. you are correct and I don't actually mind spending money (upwards of $500.00) for a good card if I know it makes a difference. And it's my bad for not doing my homework to determine which card to purchase for my specific needs. When I couldn't get the 770 I started looking at the next upward cards, did some research (obviously not enough) and based on what I read i assumed that at least i'll get the same if not better (icing on the cake) not worse😟

Yes i did dial back the setting a bit and it did help a little in some areas but overall, no.

I am going to do a clean Video driver install as someone suggested on the forum and if that doesn't help, I will delete the FSX Config file and take it from there.

Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

You were running the same resolution with the 770?

Yes, I am didn't change a thing just swap cards, booted up and updated drivers. As I mentioned to Bert I will try doing a clean (delete the other drivers) video install and see what happens.

Forshaw.

Hello Folks;

Much better.

So I did a clean install of the drivers as Vortex681 suggested (which I didn't do before) and yes that did the trick. I did the clean install and used the drivers that came with the CD (from 10/27/17) just as a 1st test before moving forward. And yes I am  back to where I was before the new card and a little better. So now I am going to move the setting back up to max and see what happens; and then after that I am going to update to the current drivers. This way I can take measured steps (tweak accordingly) to get back to the best sweet spot across the board.

Going back to Bert and Jethro's comments I know I am not going to get anything more out to this card given the specs but the same as before works and a tick better (icing on the cake) even better. Next time I will ask for suggestions before I purchase:biggrin:.

Thank you all of all of your help, input and sticking with me through this. I really appreciate it.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.

3 hours ago, forshaw said:

Hello Folks;

Much better.

So I did a clean install of the drivers as Vortex681 suggested (which I didn't do before) and yes that did the trick. I did the clean install and used the drivers that came with the CD (from 10/27/17) just as a 1st test before moving forward. And yes I am  back to where I was before the new card and a little better. So now I am going to move the setting back up to max and see what happens; and then after that I am going to update to the current drivers. This way I can take measured steps (tweak accordingly) to get back to the best sweet spot across the board.

Going back to Bert and Jethro's comments I know I am not going to get anything more out to this card given the specs but the same as before works and a tick better (icing on the cake) even better. Next time I will ask for suggestions before I purchase:biggrin:.

Thank you all of all of your help, input and sticking with me through this. I really appreciate it.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.

It’s also not a bad idea to flush the shader cache after you install new drivers/video card and let FSX rebuild them.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator