Sign in to follow this  
iTz DOLPH

Exporting a .gfp from the actual unit in-sim to external folder?

Hi guys, I tried searching google and this forum but most topics are people asking how to export a .gfp from an external source INTO the GTN units. I'm asking if there's a way to EXPORT a .gfp file made IN-SIM on the actual 750 unit to an external folder? I only ask this because I have to heavily edit my .gfp files made in simbrief, and since there's no crossfill option, I'm stuck with editing the 750 and the 650's waypoints which is a little annoying, especially on long flights such as my recent Dallas to Los Angeles flight. I tried to use the copy option in the menu section of the flight plan but it only copies the flight plan to the same unit, not to a folder. BTW Love these units!

Johnny,
See if you have this folder.  Does it contain a series of files with a naming convention of "sys_nand?".  If so reply back.

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\RXP GTN_Trainers\GTN\nonvol\

I may have a custom install path, so if you do not find that path try 

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN_Trainers\GTN\nonvol\

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank,

I have located this specific file path, however mine is slightly different from what you mentioned. 

Mine is: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\nonvul

Inside this "nonvul" folder contains EEPROMs and nand files.

OK. Now go to page 16 of the RXP GTN 750/650 TOUCH User’s Manual and see the description of the "sys_nand" files.  Note that sys_nand0 is a default file and should not be messed with.

If you have the RXP GTN 750 then you have (2) gauges.  750_1 and 750_2.  The sys_nand files that correspond to 750_1 and 750_2 are "i" and "j" respectively.  If you want the two to mirror each other, then back up both of those files to another location. Then copy "i" over "j" or "j" over "i" and you will have the same flight plans in both.  I believe the same is true for user (custom) waypoints if you have created any. Each time you add flight plans to the catalog you will need to repeat the copy.

Of note here.  I only have one aircraft with  (2) GTN 750's installed, the RealAir Turbine Duke v2.  How many do you have?  Here is why I ask.  When I have configured my various aircraft with a GTN 750, I have used 750_1 for aircraft with longer range, and have stored my longer distance flight plans in 750_1.  I have configured 750_2 into aircraft with shorter range capability.  I use those for shorter flights, so I have stored shorter flight plans into 750_2.  That is of more importance to me than having the same flight plans in both 750_1 and 750_2 for only one aircraft. 

In the Turbine Duke v2 I use 750_2 as my second GPS and use it for some communications, for traffic, terrain, for the utilities, and even use the charts to look ahead to my destination to study the approaches and runways. Can keep the flight plan's waypoints listing on 750_1 and use the map on the 750_2 as well, just without the magenta line.  Still shows where you are at on the moving map.

I have another two aircraft where I have (1) GTN 750 and (1) GTN 650.  Both of those happen to be shorter range aircraft, so I have them configured with 750_2 and 650_2, and have made sys_nandf (f) (refer to page 16 again) a duplicate of sys_nandj (j).

Again, make good backups before you try any of this.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thank you Frank for the detailed explanation, this is a good trick indeed!

Other than this, only the GNS V2 offers round trip flight plan import AND export, the GTN only has import for now.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 8/1/2018 at 11:19 AM, fppilot said:

Note that sys_nand0 is a default file and should not be messed with

Is it normal to NOT have this file in the folder?

And the other question is, after creating new wpts, fltplns or settings modifications, none of these files changes their date signature, as a new modified file. This makes me worry about, backing them up and after a new install, replacing the new files with them and it not working.

Here's a printscreen from my nonvol folder

Edited by zazaboeing
Image link

Rafael Henrique Carelli

Hi,

Yes this is normal with GTN Trainer v6.50: sys_nand0 has always been the installed 'genuine/default' non volatile memory file and it is now 'preserved' in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

As for the files not 'showing' any changes, it is normal too. Think of these files as a virtual USB drive. A drive is composed of sectors at the low level, and the sys_nand file is read and written as a disk-drive. In other words, the trainer write a chunk of 512 bytes right in the middle, accessing the file as a 'virtual drive', therefore, it won't show any 'file level' changes.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

39 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi,

Yes this is normal with GTN Trainer v6.50: sys_nand0 has always been the installed 'genuine/default' non volatile memory file and it is now 'preserved' in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

As for the files not 'showing' any changes, it is normal too. Think of these files as a virtual USB drive. A drive is composed of sectors at the low level, and the sys_nand file is read and written as a disk-drive. In other words, the trainer write a chunk of 512 bytes right in the middle, accessing the file as a 'virtual drive', therefore, it won't show any 'file level' changes.

Hi Jean!

So basically what you're saying is that if I keep theses files backed up, I'm good to update to new versions of the GTN's and still have my database?

Rafael Henrique Carelli

As of now, when using GTN Trainer 6.50, these files shouldn't be deleted anymore if you uninstall the trainer for the next version because these are no longer 'referenced' as officially installed trainer files. With previous versions, they might have been deleted because they were residing in the same folder as a trainer installed folder.

Nevertheless, better be safe than sorry, and make a backup just in case! And as you might (or not) have noticed, when our GTN manages these files on a NTFS system, we also compress them transparently so that they effectively take about 1/4 of their size only! I know we don't brag about this, but there are many little gems like this in our products!

• Like 2