Sign in to follow this  
47th_ronin

WOAI - ATC issues

Alright, starting from the beginning...

Quad Core i7 something or other with 3 GHZ

16 GB ram

1 GB Nvidia graphics card (which makes no diff on performance due to FSX/FSX-SE)

Windows 7 SP 2

FSX-SE

TBs of HDD space...

Did some reading, loads of it.  Grabbed WOAI installer and AIFP (to convert any FS9 files to FSX format).  Grabbed a ton (200) traffic packages.  Installed via auto install of WOAI installer.  Ran AIFP.  Under Bulk Traffic, selected "convert FS9 files to FSX"  with option "Delete FS files after converting" selected.

AIFP does it's thing.

I run FSX-SE, make sure that in Settings, Traffic is set to Med-High, and change the sliders to around 40% for everything because why not?

Jump in a GA plane and sit at Heathrow to listen and see what I've got.

Well....  I have planes.  A good number of planes so Yay!  Just they're all mutes.  ATC doesn't call them (Ground, Tower) and the planes don't call them.  Am I missing a voice pack or something?  

Also, I can't select ATIS as a channel anymore for some reason.  The option is there, but selecting it or pressing the appropriate number key does nothing,

The only other addons installed are:

PMDG 737 Base

Active Sky Next

HD Airport Graphics

Ultimate Night Environments

I looked through this topic here and a number of others like it.  That is the only one so far that seems to mention ATC issues.  Will do some more poking around, and try another default GA plane, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

EDIT:  I have a theory about the ATIS not working.....

Here is a dropbox link to my validation file I ran after doing all of the above.

Edited by smotheredrun
added stuff

Karl Gordon

Have you installed Editvoicepack?  Without it, ATC doesn't know more than diddly about your new airlines.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

9 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Have you installed Editvoicepack?  Without it, ATC doesn't know more than diddly about your new airlines.

Pffftt!!!! Ahahahaha!!  Nope!  Looks like I missed that.  Thanks!

Karl Gordon

1 hour ago, smotheredrun said:

@charliearon  Yup, that looks like all the issues are solved.  Thanks

Great! Glad it worked out for you!:biggrin:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 hours ago, charliearon said:

I’ve never had that issue. I run a lot of WOAI without EditVP and the ATC still calls them but just call them by flight number if the call sign isn’t already known to FSX.

Not sure why it doesn’t work for the OP without EditVP installed as it shouldn’t make a difference, but glad it seems to have fixed the issue.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Sean!  I think it may have been due to the amount of woai the OP installed.  I don't think default has quite enough to cover them all.  He also might have been at an airport where most of the non covered airlines were parked.

He did mention Heathrow.

Charlie Aron

54 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I’ve never had that issue. I run a lot of WOAI without EditVP and the ATC still calls them but just call them by flight number if the call sign isn’t already known to FSX.

Not sure why it doesn’t work for the OP without EditVP installed as it shouldn’t make a difference, but glad it seems to have fixed the issue.

7 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Hi Sean!  I think it may have been due to the amount of woai the OP installed.  I don't think default has quite enough to cover them all.  He also might have been at an airport where most of the non covered airlines were parked.

He did mention Heathrow.

I also seem to have a magic touch with technology, I can typically break a computer or program just by looking at it.  I also fouled up a livery I use for a VA in my brand new PMDG 737, so.. yeah I'm talented.

Karl Gordon

6 hours ago, charliearon said:

He did mention Heathrow.

I’m still not sure. At one point I had all WOAI packs installed which I think were around 320 packages, most of which weren’t recognized by FSX ATC’s already built in call signs, and I didn’t have EditVP installed and they still all worked. If FSX didn’t have a call sign they would just address the traffic by the flight number. My addon military pack also worked and would just call the F-16 or whatever plane by the flight number.

If EditVP was a requirement for WOAI to work, they would probably list it as a requirement on their website in order for it to work correctly. In fact, I’ve never seen EditVP mentioned anywhere as a requirement for any commercial traffic. I also use UT2 and still no EditVP installed and sometime the UT2 traffic gets ATC calls by flight number if they have a call sign FSX doesn’t recognize.

In anycase, I’m just glad the OPs problem has been fixed.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator