Sign in to follow this  
Guest w2sjw

Tongass Fjords released!

Guest jgreth123

Head over to FSAddon to check it out. Though, you'll have to buy it through simmarket.com.Yet another ( and by far his best so far ) masterpiece by Holger Sandmann and Bill Womack!

Guest Mesa

Good call! I think FSAddon need to update their site though - makes it look as if it's not quite finished yet.

Guest JIMJAM

Way to late in the game for me to justify buying another scenery addon. I will be all over it after its though once its made the FSX transition.

Yeah, Francois emailed me about that this morning. We've had a heckuva time coordinating everyone's vacation schedules, and he just left town a couple of days before this release. He's sweating it out in a backroom at his vacation home, trying to get his laptop and connection to cooperate so he can get the updates done to the site. Rest assured, the product it out. It may just take a day or two more to make it look that way on the site!

>Way to late in the game for me to justify buying another>scenery addon. I will be all over it after its though once its>made the FSX transition.For those concerned with FSX compatibility, keep in mind, this is all inclusive, mesh, landscape, AI, scenery so it works out of the box with nothing more to add.It is truly spectacular, you have to see Sitka to believe it, fully modeled, lots of AI, beautiful landscape, run don't walk!!Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/tfbeta.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

I have been flying in Tongass Fjord all day. Wonderful!! I plan to keep FS9 on my computer after FS10 is released. It will take months to explore all the areas. I landed at Craig Alaska (seaplane) this morning and ate breakfast watching the seagulls and fishing trawlers leaving for the morning catch. A bush flyer's dream! Sitka is gorgeous! Bill,I never considered not purchasing Tongass. I use your spectacular KRDG (Reading often) and it is my thank you for that freeware. What a deal; I get the best scenery in world for bush flying in return! Bob.. :)

I'll second Jeff's comments. I made a VFR flight from Sitka to Wrangell in the Carenado C182Q that was spectacular. There's so much to see! The communities of Sitka and Wrangell look amazing from the air, and I'm looking forward to doing more flying up here.By the way, the drill-down maps are very nice.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

>Way to late in the game for me to justify buying another>scenery addon. I will be all over it after its though once its>made the FSX transition.Isn't the default scenery in FSX from start as good as the best addon scenery for FS9? That's my impression from the screenshots.

The FSX default does look better than FS9, but it won't compare to something like Tongass. The scenery developers will still have jobs next year :-) .DougEdited 'cause I can't spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>>Way to late in the game for me to justify buying another>>scenery addon. I will be all over it after its though once>its>>made the FSX transition.>>Isn't the default scenery in FSX from start as good as the>best addon scenery for FS9? That's my impression from the>screenshots.>That's an excellent question! Fortunately, Holger has been looking into this. See his comments at http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=53914 . Basically, while it looks like FSX will be greatly improved in many areas, the data they have to work with in this part of Alaska is much coarser than ours. I'm betting quite a bit that Tongass Fjords still blows FSX away when it comes to detail.

Guest w2sjw

I've got a quick question, guys. Holger helped me last year when it came to proper level assignments in the scenery.cfg file. I placed my FSGenesis mesh back at the top of the list (as he instructed previously) after I installed Tongass. Can anyone tell by this screen-shot if the FSGenesis mesh is over-ridding the Tongass mesh, or is this how it's supposed to look?TIA!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/153041.jpg

Hello,looks like you've got the correct mesh active. It's a bit tricky to determine from that specific location but I did a quick check with the FSG mesh moved in to be sure.Actually, there are many other places in Tongass where you would be able to tell very easily that the "wrong" mesh is active, such as the location in the screenshot below. Obviously, that ain't right ;-)To be sure, there's nothing wrong with the FSGenesis mesh as such. It's just that we're using a different data source at a slightly higher resolution and the compiled mesh is different in some areas from the FSG mesh. Since our lake elevations are based on our mesh data you need to have the Tongass Fjords active to ensure good fit between water bodies and terrain mesh.Hope that helps.Cheers, Holgerhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/153053.jpg