Sign in to follow this  
Guest hmslion

Is Captian Sim Ever......

Guest jboweruk

System simulation is pretty accurate on the C130 according to a Civil firm that uses it here in the UK. I know I've flown it into some pretty dangerous areas using FSPax and had it shot to heck, but it still came through with the goods and does a very good rendition of the Khe Sanh approach.

Guest JTEK99

>True, but a lot of people may have bought the model on the>premise that within a reasonable timeframe, they will be able>to buy the remaining blocks, which will enable them to>complete a top of the line simulation package. They may have>not otherwise purchased the preceeding blocks but for the>promise of the elusive block F.Bingo.The obverse of that statement is that Captain Sim would not otherwise have SOLD the preceding blocks without creating the illusion of a "total" product being available "very soon" (i.e., in CaptainSim parlance, that usually means "never").Bring this up at their forums (if you can find them); watch it vanish into thin air faster than their promised patches do.

Their C-130 sure is nice though. :)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest JTEK99

>Their C-130 sure is nice though.>Yeah (sigh).... I do so love it, despite everything. Ah, the ironies of flightsim purchases. :)

>System simulation is pretty accurate on the C130 according to>a Civil firm that uses it here in the UK. I'll be the first one to get into a dedate with that Civil firm over the C-130 systems and the CS C-130. Great model but the systems are far from accurate.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg

I hate to say: "I told you so" but...Sorry to say that the concept of "Blocks" is merely semantics. Strip away the marketing hyperbole and what you get is paying in installments for an unfinished product through completion.The Block system only works as an "honest" product release paradigm if the WHOLE product is available but broken up into READILY AVAILABLE segments for which the user can pick and choose from basic through advanced. Then and ONLY then can it be called a "Block" system. I would commend CS if they had done it that way so the "jump-in-n-fly" crowd are as happy as the "I wanna flip 872 switches to initialize the lavatory" crowd. But that's not the way it is.Ergo, you buy a car, The car is COMPLETE. You pick and choose options to make it as advanced or as bare-bones as you like. THIS is a block system. Nothing, new, it applies to everything from cars to houses to software. The common thread is that the product is COMPLETE and available immediately but you add or subtract according to your tastes or budget.Now, imagine that same real world paradigm in the Captain Sim flavor: You buy a car... You pay to get the completed body and wheels (wow how beautiful, I'm the man, I love it!)...whoops no engine until Q3 2007. No radio until Q4 2006. No seats until Q1 2007. Stearing wheel was supposed to be available now, but has been put off until Q3 2006. The company would be laughed right out of business in a week.Sorry to strip off the fluffy CS marketing hype, but quite frankly the emperor has NO CLOTHES! You guys are funding the project as it goes along with no gurantees of anything since you have not paid for anything except for what you already have. To me, its brilliant on behalf of CS that they could sell such a ####-n-bull story to so many but methinks that nowhere else in the world could such lunacy 'fly' except in the FS community (pun intended).My US 2 Cents.

Guest JTEK99

Mike T:That is -- without a doubt -- the clearest explanation of the CapSim paradigm I've seen in any forum. You hit it right on the nose.Now... when are you going to review the multi-block 757? :)

>>Many are happy with the block system, it does serve those>interested in lower levels of depth, but to buy less in the>hope of more from a ?????? developer is just plain ill-advised>imho.>>regards,>MarkCaveat emptor, of course, but nevertheless, the CS 757 was (and still is?) marketed in a way that implied block F would be completed by a certain date, surely there was an expectation one could complete a full package by buying it in "blocks" and some people may have acted on that expectation. If block F is not released at all, that would constitute deceptive marketing at the very least (from a moral standpoint anyway). Of course this whole argument will be moot if and when CS do release block F.

And the story goes on,.....Just like when they released the 727 as a "Release candidate" at the date when the product should officially be released. The unfinished 707, which they seam to have no intention what so ever to finish.Should we after this experience really beleive that they ever would finalise any other product? :-hahhttp://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gifMy specs are:Dell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo, flashed to a X850 XT PE. Catalyst 6.5ATITool V0.24DirectX 9.0cW XP Home with SP2E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA Lacie 250Gb Extern HD

Staffan

Guest hmslion

Well, I didn't like the 727, I thought the flight model was awful. But in fairness, I really, really like the Herc which I believe is an excellent product and gets a lot of time in my log book. ColinPortland, Oregon

>>>>Many are happy with the block system, it does serve those>>interested in lower levels of depth, but to buy less in the>>hope of more from a ?????? developer is just plain>ill-advised>>imho.>>>>regards,>>Mark>>>Caveat emptor, of course, but nevertheless, the CS 757 was>(and still is?) marketed in a way that implied block F would>be completed by a certain date, surely there was an>expectation one could complete a full package by buying it in>"blocks" and some people may have acted on that expectation.>If block F is not released at all, that would constitute>deceptive marketing at the very least (from a moral standpoint>anyway). Of course this whole argument will be moot if and>when CS do release block F.It amazes me how everyone jumps to conclusions when a company misses a release date! How do you go from missing one release date, to it's never going to be released. It's the rare software developer that will meet the initial date, that's why most software developers don't give out release dates, until the product is almost if not completed, and even then they may miss it. I've seen companies software all set for release within a weeks time delayed a couple of months because of a problem detected during final testing. Things happen that can affect the project. The project may have been under estimated, maybe your resources have changed during the course of the project. With FSX on the horizon, a Software developer of a new product would be a fool not to take the extra time to insure the product is compatible, or can be easily ported to the new sim, else no one would even consider buying it at this stage. As you say the way the block system is marketed CS had to give a ball park estmate on a release date. Realisticly though I personally never expected them to meet it. The next date is 3rd Q 06, so that gives them til the end of Sept. Let's wait til then to see where they are. If they miss that one, without a valid reason or it's only a short delay like say 2 extra weeks, then I may agree with you, but let's not put the cart before the horse. For people who do not want the advanced systems, this 757 is the best out there as far as exterior model, and detailed VC that is currently available. I would say they made 2 big mistakes though! This notion that because of the detailed VC that a 2D panel wasn't neccessary was totally wrong. At least they have listened to the customers and one will be provided. They never should have released though without it. Same goes with providing an aircraft specific FDE instead of just the default 737. That should have never been a separate block piece. Those issues customers have a right to complain about. One thing I will say, is I have never seen so much pre-purchase material made available by developer detailing exactly what to expect in each block. So no-one can say they didn't kow what they were getting!!! All they had to do is read it, before plopping down their credit card! I'm not sure I agree with this block system idea myself, but I can see what their intent was!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest panda234

"How do you go from missing one release date, to it's never going to be released."LOL, you must be new to the boards, and particularly to the experience of dealing with Captain Sim. The word "scum" comes to mind and that's on a good day. They had a big problem with paypal a ways back and actually had to present a facade of a real company concerned with its customers in order to get it resolved. They even put up a forum, announced that a patch was on the way for the 707 and 727, and generally acted as if they cared about their customers. They used this window of respectability to announce the "block" scheme. It never would have flown before or after, and nobody has really heard from them since. The forums are so heavily edited--when they exist--as to be useless, and not a word about the patches. But things have improved. At least they're not calling their customers names like they have in the past. But for those that are waiting for blocks you really have to take some of the responsibility yourselves. If you jump off a bridge you're going to hit hard--you can't be blaming gravity.billg

>"How do you go from missing one release date, to it's never>going to be released.">>LOL, you must be new to the boards, and particularly to the>experience of dealing with Captain Sim. The word "scum" comes>to mind and that's on a good day. They had a big problem with>paypal a ways back and actually had to present a facade of a>real company concerned with its customers in order to get it>resolved. They even put up a forum, announced that a patch was>on the way for the 707 and 727, and generally acted as if they>cared about their customers. They used this window of>respectability to announce the "block" scheme. It never would>have flown before or after, and nobody has really heard from>them since. The forums are so heavily edited--when they>exist--as to be useless, and not a word about the patches. But>things have improved. At least they're not calling their>customers names like they have in the past. >>But for those that are waiting for blocks you really have to>take some of the responsibility yourselves. If you jump off a>bridge you're going to hit hard--you can't be blaming>gravity.>>billgHi,I think that your post is one of the most clear posts ever. You nail the situation right on spot!! :-wavehttp://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gifMy specs are:Dell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo, flashed to a X850 XT PE. Catalyst 6.5ATITool V0.24DirectX 9.0cW XP Home with SP2E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA Lacie 250Gb Extern HD

Staffan

Guest allcott

Caveat Emptor.A quick run through the various Captain Sim threads in this forum should have been enough to put any reaonable consumer off making a purchase UNTIL all the blocks were available - and particularly in CS's case, bug free or at least fit-for-purpose with their track record."NO trust for CS until they patch the 707," we said. Let them demonstrate good faith and the ability to do what they promised. And here we are again with the 757 this time. After the 707, the 727, the payapal farce of the C130.Buying from CS doesn't prove how stupid CS are. It proves how gullible you are.Allcott