Sign in to follow this  
47th_ronin

Start up issues - I think I broke it

40 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

haha - I appreciate the humor.

Well...  It's been my experience that if you can't laugh/poke fun at yourself, you don't have the right to do the same to others; and I do a lot of that.

• Like 1

Karl Gordon

Just now, smotheredrun said:

Well...  It's been my experience that if you can't laugh/poke fun at yourself, you don't have the right to do the same to others; and I do a lot of that.

haha - agreed.

Self-deprecation is usually the most relatable, too.

Kyle Rodgers

ABSTRACT:

Doing the simconnect installs seems to have reduced the occurance of the screwy plane syndrome.

Full detail:

Did more testing, including flying online and performing multiple flights (loading new flight plans from within the flight scene at a gate - both FS default nav files and PMDG navdata) in the same session:

The weirdly shaped panels/non-functional buttons and switches/HUD down and inop only seems to happen sometimes on aircraft load.  Of the 6 flight sessions I made from a few days ago to this morning, the aircraft would only load all screwy twice.  Ending flight and returning back to the same place from the main "page" of FSX seemed to solve this.

It happened once with the VA livery and once with the Westjet livery available from the PMDG Livery Manager.

Not sure why it's happening, but more than ever, I am certain it is a PEBKAC issue.

Edited by smotheredrun

Karl Gordon

Alright testing update, and again, if anyone has some ideas, I could really use them...

After working with some great direct support via my ticket with PMDG, the HUD/crazy squished 2D panels are not appearing anymore.

However.... after about 5 minutes, the buttons/switches become inoperable.  Specifically, the "hand" will appear for a literal fraction of a second and then become a regular mouse pointer.  After that, exactly none of the switches/buttons in the VC can be used.  At all.  The 2D panels are fine, but to be completely honest, I didn't buy this add on for the 2D panels.

At the moment, regardless of the livery/model the aircraft is completely unusable.

This has gone from an amusing "oops, probably my bad" to a very frustrating experience.

Once again, if anyone has any ideas.... please please please share

Thanks

Karl Gordon

1 hour ago, smotheredrun said:

Alright testing update, and again, if anyone has some ideas, I could really use them...

After working with some great direct support via my ticket with PMDG, the HUD/crazy squished 2D panels are not appearing anymore.

However.... after about 5 minutes, the buttons/switches become inoperable.  Specifically, the "hand" will appear for a literal fraction of a second and then become a regular mouse pointer.  After that, exactly none of the switches/buttons in the VC can be used.  At all.  The 2D panels are fine, but to be completely honest, I didn't buy this add on for the 2D panels.

At the moment, regardless of the livery/model the aircraft is completely unusable.

This has gone from an amusing "oops, probably my bad" to a very frustrating experience.

Once again, if anyone has any ideas.... please please please share

Thanks

It could be possible that another program that you are running with/for fsx is interfering with fsx. Could you list here what programs you are running in addition to fsx and the PMDG ngx.

At the fsx flight screen, I usually load things up in the following sequence: airport, time of day/date, weather and then finally, the ngx. Give the ngx the opportunity to load properly before clicking “fly now”, I usually give approx 20secs as I have ssd, hdd may have to wait a little longer perhaps. This method has worked for 7 years of ngx flying.

real basic and normal stuff - but are you running the installation process and fsx every time you open as “run as administrator”? This too, can have positive or negative effects if you don’t.

Most important is to provide a list of programs you’re running at the same time as the ngx as the ngx typically works normally.

Brian Nellis

On 8/10/2018 at 12:07 AM, Copper. said:

It could be possible that another program that you are running with/for fsx is interfering with fsx. Could you list here what programs you are running in addition to fsx and the PMDG ngx.

At the fsx flight screen, I usually load things up in the following sequence: airport, time of day/date, weather and then finally, the ngx. Give the ngx the opportunity to load properly before clicking “fly now”, I usually give approx 20secs as I have ssd, hdd may have to wait a little longer perhaps. This method has worked for 7 years of ngx flying.

real basic and normal stuff - but are you running the installation process and fsx every time you open as “run as administrator”? This too, can have positive or negative effects if you don’t.

Most important is to provide a list of programs you’re running at the same time as the ngx as the ngx typically works normally.

My order for startup is:

Click Steam taskbar icon.

Select Active Sky Next (ASN) (if flying offline and not on IVAO)

Once that's running,

Select (from Steam taskbar icon again) FSX

Once that's running, start my VA PIREP program

Get ATIS info from ASN (or IVAO's WebEye via Chrome)

Based upon ATIS, select/modify flight plan from SimBrief and use it's downloader to insert revised flight plans into both FSX and PMDG folders. (Again, this is done via Chrome)

Select NGX 800 (usually VA livery or another PMDG provided one)

Select airport once NGX has loaded.

Select Flight Plan based upon said ATIS.

"FLY NOW"

Once plane has loaded, begin startup from cold and dark.

Then... roll dice?  At least 2 out of every 3 times I'm getting the "buttons/switches not working issue".

There is no specific instance where it occurs during startup.  It can happen before or after I load a flightplan in the FMC.  It can happen during pushback and engine start.  It can happen during my takeoff roll.

It is typically within 5 minutes (sometimes I just try to race through the startup or I just ignore ATC while offline... yup.. jerk pilot)... I've also been known to only close the doors while on my takeoff....

Edited by smotheredrun

Karl Gordon

Since I've done the "reset viewpoint" thing suggested by PMDG product support, I've been unable to reproduce the non-functioning/non-interactable buttons/switches.

Thanks again all for the info and help.

Karl Gordon