Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

Newest Nvidia driver 398.82 issues

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

The problem not yet mentioned here: nasty Little bloatware like Geforce Experience will annoy you daily as soon as a new driver is out and you do not update. Either by a explicit message or by adding a mark in your taskbar. So yes, you do not NEED to update to the newest driver, but sometimes it gets annoying not to. And yes, Geforce Experience is needed for certain aspects such as Shadowplay.

No it won't! There are some checkmarks you have to remove and voilla no more notifications no'r signs no'r nothing 😉 (try a right click on the GFExp Logo near your clock).

• Upvote 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

10 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

The bottom line is if you are a simmer and you want to be a beta tester for the brand new driver, on your sim, go for it. Let us know how it works out. 

No, Bob.  That is just so wrong and an injustice of misinformation. Just because you may update YOUR computer, then after the update YOUR flight sim now "stutters" or whatever, does NOT mean the new driver will screw up EVERYBODY'S flight sim if THEY update the driver.  The only time it would be the driver's fault is if it screwed up EVERYBODY'S flight sim installations...and that is NOT what happens in these kind of threads.  

People who are experiencing problems with their flight sims after doing an nVidia driver update are NOT "beta testing" the driver to see if it works for the community at large. There are just too many other things involved....hardware configurations, software applications (used with and without their flight sims), etc that come into play.  nVidia driver updates are USUALLY DONE by nVidia to provide support for SPECIFIC GAMES and OTHER software updates, like the release of a new Windows Update.  If the end user does not have the "game", or is an "I refuse to do the Windows Update because (blah, blah, blah...)", then they should NOT be doing the nVidia driver update to begin with.  

NOBODY updating an nVidia driver in this forum is being a "beta tester" as far as determining if the driver will work with anybody ELSE'S FLIGHT SIMS.  They are determining whether the new driver will cause problems on THEIR SPECIFIC COMPUTER ONLY.  And that is ALL they can report about it that would be FACTUAL information. 

Edited by FalconAF
  • Upvote 1

Rick Ryan

10 hours ago, pracines said:

In other words LM disagrees with you. I do too 🙂

That's fine.  Go right ahead.  But LM also knows for a fact that most end user's problems with their product are caused by the INDIVIDUAL'S OWN COMPUTER, and when DEBUGGING THAT PROBLEM it WOULD (most likely) benefit IF the end user WAS using the most up-to-date drivers for ALL of the software and hardware on the END USER'S INDIVIDUAL COMPUTER.  That is the IDEAL situation in an IDEAL world.  When the INDIVIDUAL'S computer is not running P3D "right", it becomes an INDIVIDUAL DEBUGGING PROBLEM...not a trouble-shooting scenario designed to "fix" an entire community's problem (because not all end users are having the problem to begin with).  So it makes sense THEN for LM to recommend the INDIVIDUAL end user update "all there drivers", including any OS updates they haven't done.  But even LM says in their recommendation it is a DEBUGGING issue, which means it is NOT a recommendation "across the board" for EVERYONE to do it at the time.

With all due respect, there is a very valid saying:

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts".  

Please understand the difference between the two.

Edited by FalconAF
  • Upvote 2

Rick Ryan

1 hour ago, FalconAF said:

100% best quote I've read on any forum. 

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

Everyone decides for him/herself whether or not to update drivers ....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I always update mine !  

The operation includes an UNINSTALL !!!! 😎

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I assume that is only if you have Windows 10 installed. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with the 368.22 drivers, and I do not get any annoying messages about anything.

Windows 7 Pro here and, for the past few months, have cheerfully ignored such messages from MS. Have adopted an uncompromising approach to my browsing habits and anything remotely suspicious that drops into my inbox. No o/s related issues these days and life is good 🤓. Windows 7 was/is a sparkling jewel in their crown; ‘bout time they acknowledged that fact and acted accordingly.

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

This subject about updating drivers or leaving well enough alone has gone on since the FS9 days. Most of the experts back then recommended that if your current driver worked, and you had no issues with it, to leave it alone. I have always followed that rule, and the only time I install a new driver is when I install a new GPU.  I have never had a driver problem. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Its up to the user as for bloatware you are given the option to install drivers only, also how often do users read the release notes I do, bug fixes , improved user options aka HD, VFR support. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

5 hours ago, FalconAF said:

With all due respect, there is a very valid saying:

Please understand the difference between the two.

The fact is I have updated my drivers within a day or two for decades, and I have no unresolved issues. LM is correct in their advice.

I treat my system well and it treats me well.

My flight from KIAD to KDEN (Flightbeam) was flawless, high settings, locked at 20 fps and stayed between 19.8 and 20, totally stutter free, and this was all on day one of using 398.82

These facts apply to me perfectly. In other words your opinions do not apply to me, and they don't have to apply to anybody, but they might. But my facts are taken from the developers of P3D, a much better source than you I would say.

• Like 1

This driver 398.82, "update" was specifically designed for Battle of Azeroth and World of Warcraft games. There is nothing for P3d or dx driven flight simulators. I doubt any "update" Nvidia drivers will improve our flight simulators, we are too much a niche market and don't earn mega dollars for video  card makers. 

I use a 12 month old diver that I installed with my GT 1080. Nothing broke, nothing fixed. Same old engine.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Paul  and David are both right. Latest drivers don't break Flight Sims and they don't add anything to them either. I generally update to the latest nvidea drivers....cos they're there! :smile:

• Upvote 2

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

On 8/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, FalconAF said:

Scenario that has been taking place for over 30 years of home computer flight sim users:

User 1 updates to the newest video drivers, then reports "a problem" with them.  Other users reply that they updated same drivers and don't have the same "problem" on their computer(s).  Other-Other users subsequently report they updated the drivers and do experience the same problem reported by User 1.  Entire community begins a discussion thread about the new driver that will end up being 20+ pages long and not solve most of the end-users problems they are having.

Real Solution:  The driver ALWAYS comes with "Release Notes" which can even be reviewed by the user BEFORE downloading the new driver.  In this case, the link is on the nVidia download page for the driver.  It's called, "Game Ready Driver Release Notes (v398.82)" and is approximately 33 pages long.  I just reviewed it for fun and found no references in the updates that would improve performance in FSX, P3D, or any other flight sim product.  I also found at least SIX references to updates in the driver that MIGHT cause "stutters" or "frame rate" issues (and those words are used BY THE DRIVER MANUFACTURER).

Bottom Line:  The end user needs to read these Release Notes PRIOR to installing the updated drivers.  The plethora of hardware configurations and Operating System updates on computers will NEVER allow a driver update to work on EVERY possible computer configuration out there.  Some people will experience NO issues with the driver update, while others WILL have "problems" after installing it.  The best TWO PRACTICES you can have are.....

1.  NEVER do a driver update without having a way to GET BACK to the previous driver you were using that didn't cause problems for you.  

2.  DON'T do a driver update if the Release Notes don't indicate YOUR computer configuration actually NEEDS the update.  This requires a level of knowledge by the end user about what works and won't work on their OWN computer.

I did Network Ops on computer systems for over 3 decades.  An IT department KNOWS what will work and won't work on it's end user computers connected to the network.  We can update hundreds or thousands of computer drivers all at the same time and cause NO problems 'cos we control what is allowed (hardware and software) on EVERY end user's computer.  Home computer users need to know themselves whether a driver update may or may not "hose" their own computer.  So if you aren't sure, use the TWO PRACTICES above.  You can TRY Number 2 if you want to, but ONLY if you are SURE you could do Number 1 if it craps out your computer.  And regardless, expect the driver to work for SOME or even MOST users, but NEVER for ALL users because of the wide range of different computer configurations in home user computers.

can you come to my Airlines I.T. department. I bet you'd close down my 3 open tickets like a rocket.

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, tooting said:

can you come to my Airlines I.T. department. I bet you'd close down my 3 open tickets like a rocket.

Maybe.  Maybe not.

You see...I did most of my IT jobs in the military, working on lots of classified networks, while under a separate legal system called the Uniform Code of Military Justice.  Which under many circumstances made the equivalent of a civilian misdemeanor a full blown felony in the Air Force.  So...if I didn't do my job correctly (or "sluffed off" in learning how to do it correctly), I could get Courts-Martialed and become a convicted felon for the rest of my life.  There's a big difference between a civilian telling their boss to "Go To H*ll" and a military member doing the same thing.  At worst, the civilian gets fired.  The military member can go to jail and be a convicted felon for the rest of their life.

So yeah...I get "annoyed" when people present or substitute personal opinions as "facts".  There's been a LOT of that taking place in the forums lately.  And...in my OPINION...AVSIM needs to start calling people out on it.  Letting it continue just reduces the credibility of the forum overall.  If a flight sim user comes to a forum to get answers, the answers should be based on facts...not opinions from technically unqualified responders, or users who blame developers (or anyone else) for problems they are causing themselves on their own computers.

Edited by FalconAF
  • Upvote 1

Rick Ryan

The fact is I have updated my drivers within a day or two for decades, and I have no unresolved issues. LM is correct in their advice.

Their advice applies to users who are having issues. Anyone who is not suffering from problems really does not need to upgrade their graphics drivers every time that a new set is released. I am glad that you have never suffered any problems in this respect, but clearly others have not been so fortunate.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png