Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

Newest Nvidia driver 398.82 issues

Windows 10 fixed G-Sync mode may stutter after updating to Windows 10 spring creators update 

Fixed Firefox Cursor issue 

Using power monitoring in GPU monitor tools causes micro stutters Fixed 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Their advice applies to users who are having issues. Anyone who is not suffering from problems really does not need to upgrade their graphics drivers every time that a new set is released. I am glad that you have never suffered any problems in this respect, but clearly others have not been so fortunate.

This is what LM says:

"It is critical that the newest graphics card drivers are installed on your system."

There is nothing in this sentence that can be mistaken as "advice". This statement is absolute and non negotiable. It is a direct statement after the suggestion of the general debugging step that emphasizes the critical importance of this subject. In other words they say it, and then say it again in the next sentence.....it must be pretty important to phrase it this way. LM does not leave this to chance that it could be misunderstood.

Thank you for being glad about me listening to LM and reaping the rewards, I hope you do too.👍

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, pracines said:

This is what LM says:

"It is critical that the newest graphics card drivers are installed on your system."

There is nothing in this sentence that can be mistaken as "advice". This statement is absolute and non negotiable. It is a direct statement after the suggestion of the general debugging step that emphasizes the critical importance of this subject. In other words they say it, and then say it again in the next sentence.....it must be pretty important to phrase it this way. LM does not leave this to chance that it could be misunderstood.

Thank you for being glad about me listening to LM and reaping the rewards, I hope you do too.👍

And if you install the latest driver, and you run into trouble, LM will be glad to send a technician to your home and help you fix it. 😉

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

53 minutes ago, pracines said:

This is what LM says:

C'mon, Paul.  Let's be honest here.  Your quote is taken directly from LM's topic "General Debugging Steps/How To Post Issue Reports". with this introductory message:  "The following steps should be taken to help narrow down any issues and provide us with more information."  The entire section is designed to help the user debug a problem, not as a regular routine of computer maintenance.  Here's the link for anyone else who wants to verify:  https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Of course, it's entirely up to you and anyone else if they want to, to update their drivers every time a new version comes out, but it is categorically untrue that LM says you have to do so as a regular practice.  

Edited by vgbaron
removed offensive remark
  • Upvote 1

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

The concept of latest drivers from LM's standpoint is to provide a level field when they are trying to replicate a user issue. When a new driver is released, they (LM) install it to verify is breaks no functions on P3D.  So, in order to debug YOUR issue they want you to be running the same as they are.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

20 minutes ago, StewartH said:

C'mon, Paul.  Let's be honest here.  Your quote is taken directly from LM's topic "General Debugging Steps/How To Post Issue Reports". with this introductory message:  "The following steps should be taken to help narrow down any issues and provide us with more information."  The entire section is designed to help the user debug a problem, not as a regular routine of computer maintenance.  Here's the link for anyone else who wants to verify:  https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Of course, it's entirely up to you and anyone else if they want to, to update their drivers every time a new version comes out, but it is categorically untrue that LM says you have to do so as a regular practice.  

Ask yourself why you don't have a driver from last year, or even 6 months ago. See how you answer yourself. You will eventually get a newer driver, right?.....but why?

PC maintenance routines...we are all guilty of it, or we suffer the consequences. 

55 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

And if you install the latest driver, and you run into trouble, LM will be glad to send a technician to your home and help you fix it. 😉

they'll even put you up on a Holiday Inn Express until its fixed🤣

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pracines said:

Ask yourself why you don't have a driver from last year, or even 6 months ago. See how you answer yourself. You will eventually get a newer driver, right?.....but why?

Now this is just ridiculous deflection and has nothing to do with what you claim LM is stating.

• Upvote 2

When LM issues a new point version of P3D, I back up my entire system, then remove the locks from Win 10 that prevent it from auto-updating (using OO-Shutup), then update the nVidia drivers, followed by some testing to see if the updates borked my system, and in particular, my SLI configuration, as it has done several times in the past.  Twice now, the driver update caused the SLI controls to disappear entirely from the nVidia Control Panel, and removing/reinstalling the old and/or new drivers did not fix it, forcing a complete recovery from the saved backup.  Once I feel comfortable that the Win10/nVidia driver updates have not hosed my system, I update P3D, run a battery of sim-specific tests, and if successful, I reinstall the locks that prevent Win10 from auto-updating.  I typically leave the PC in this configuration until the next P3D update...so I have the Win10 and nVidia driver versions that were current when the P3D version in use was released, which is what L-M presumably was testing with.

Any changes to the drivers after that were not...in fact *could not* have been tested by L-M at release time, so unless there's a lot of data supporting the idea that a new driver fixes a problem I myself have in P3D, I'm just not going there.

So I take L-M's "It is critical that the newest graphics card drivers are installed on your system" to mean the newest graphics card drivers available when the P3D version was released, not the newest available right now.

Also, remember that the nVidia unified GeForce drivers are actually a package of drivers for a whole bunch--multiple generations, in fact--of different video cards.  What is installed on your system is dependent on what card(s) are installed on the system.  So a new graphics driver may not bother lots of cards, but can selectively cause problems on certain cards, especially newer ones that typically are the primary focus of changes due to ongoing development and optimization.  So the latest drivers may be perfectly fine for guys with a 980Ti and be a complete disaster for a guy with a 1070, because the actual driver software installed by the unified package is not necessarily the same for different cards.  So just because the driver works for you on your system doesn't mean it doesn't present legitimate problems for a bunch of others using different hardware.  That's why it's important to know what hardware others are running when they post that "driver XXX works great!" before assuming that it has any implication as to how it might work on your PC.

Regards

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

When LM issues a new point version of P3D, I back up my entire system, then remove the locks from Win 10 that prevent it from auto-updating (using OO-Shutup), then update the nVidia drivers, followed by some testing to see if the updates borked my system, and in particular, my SLI configuration, as it has done several times in the past.  Twice now, the driver update caused the SLI controls to disappear entirely from the nVidia Control Panel, and removing/reinstalling the old and/or new drivers did not fix it, forcing a complete recovery from the saved backup.  Once I feel comfortable that the Win10/nVidia driver updates have not hosed my system, I update P3D, run a battery of sim-specific tests, and if successful, I reinstall the locks that prevent Win10 from auto-updating.  I typically leave the PC in this configuration until the next P3D update...so I have the Win10 and nVidia driver versions that were current when the P3D version in use was released, which is what L-M presumably was testing with.

Any changes to the drivers after that were not...in fact *could not* have been tested by L-M at release time, so unless there's a lot of data supporting the idea that a new driver fixes a problem I myself have in P3D, I'm just not going there.

So I take L-M's "It is critical that the newest graphics card drivers are installed on your system" to mean the newest graphics card drivers available when the P3D version was released, not the newest available right now.

Also, remember that the nVidia unified GeForce drivers are actually a package of drivers for a whole bunch--multiple generations, in fact--of different video cards.  What is installed on your system is dependent on what card(s) are installed on the system.  So a new graphics driver may not bother lots of cards, but can selectively cause problems on certain cards, especially newer ones that typically are the primary focus of changes due to ongoing development and optimization.  So the latest drivers may be perfectly fine for guys with a 980Ti and be a complete disaster for a guy with a 1070, because the actual driver software installed by the unified package is not necessarily the same for different cards.  So just because the driver works for you on your system doesn't mean it doesn't present legitimate problems for a bunch of others using different hardware.  That's why it's important to know what hardware others are running when they post that "driver XXX works great!" before assuming that it has any implication as to how it might work on your PC.

Regards

Ding ding ding we have a winner, folks! Johnny, tell the man what he's won.

A new car!*

*New car prize not redeemable on planet earth 

48 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Ding ding ding we have a winner, folks! Johnny, tell the man what he's won.

A new car!*

10 years ago this thread would've been a couple posts and then after a few days buried 10 pages deep in the forum.  Now it takes at least four pages and a dissertation (thank you, Bob).

On 8/4/2018 at 2:02 PM, pracines said:

PC maintenance routines...we are all guilty of it, or we suffer the consequences. 

Hello, Paul.  I have the same driver installed now that I had when I upgraded to P3Dv4 and installed a new gpu to run my new sim in Feb. 2018, six months ago.  I will probably not update the gpu drivers until and unless P3D is upgraded from 4.x to 5.x.  I hope this answers your question, although you haven't answered mine or others'.  Have a nice day.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Beats me why this is even in this forum perhaps other than a heads up to say the latest driver is released. It should be moved to where it belongs: Monitors | Multi-Monitors | Video Cards | Drivers

Cheers

Steve Hall

Beats me why users complain when window update installs new GPUs now we know why it happens.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

11 hours ago, StewartH said:

Hello, Paul.  I have the same driver installed now that I had when I upgraded to P3Dv4 and installed a new gpu to run my new sim in Feb. 2018, six months ago.  I will probably not update the gpu drivers until and unless P3D is upgraded from 4.x to 5.x.  I hope this answers your question, although you haven't answered mine or others'.  Have a nice day.

Then ask yourself why aren't you still using V3 or FSX or FS98 for that matter since older is better in YOUR case. 

Why did you get a new GPU? Your older GPU with its old driver must have been excellent, right? 

Your "older is better" position with technology/drivers will eventually catch up to you.

Lockheed Martin and I totally disagree with you, but of course you can do as you wish.

All this talk about only updating drivers only when LM does updates is evidence that an explicit and plain statement from LM is not understood. You see, LM did not qualify their statement at all, yet several people here are qualifying it for LM and telling us what LM meant, when we don't need people to explain plain statements from LM. They say, "that is for people who have issues". I say ok, but why that solution?, and why emphasize it emphatically. Why not another solution, since drivers are not that important?

The point of my original post in this thread is to do like I did with those who love 32-bit. I took my stance that 64-bit is better long ago, and was told how wrong I was by most, they said it would be over kill, impossible, destroy the compatibility, and look at us now.

I will say once again here, the flight sim industry needs to be looking at 128 bit possibilities NOW, not after the technology/gaming industry has been there for 15 years already, but you and many others would likely disagree with all this talk of how we could never use all that overhead and how it would ruin compatibility, "its impossible"  --- I say bologna. 

All this backward thinking needs to STOP. Aviation is at the cutting edge of technology, why should flight simulation be anything less? Actually we could/should become the forefront with even better technologies that the aviation industry borrows from us. I mean we have some very excellent ideas being implemented by some brilliant developers, and 64-bit is proving to be the key to implementation of them ideas.

Trust me, I mean well for all of us....its the mentality of the matter at hand here....forward ONLY not backward or stagnant.:senang:  

I just finished a flight from YMML to LLBG 15+ hours with this new driver, very high settings, Orbx FTX, ASP4/ASCA, PMDG 777LR, FS2Crew, GSX, UT live, STB, FSRealTime,  RC4.3 --- locked at 20 FPS & never went below 19.8 and smooth as Crisco Butter.....there is NOTHING wrong with this new driver.