Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

Newest Nvidia driver 398.82 issues

Would Mr Padlock please report to the check in desk on the Prepar3d forum? We apologise to our customers for the inconvenience, but the check in desk will be closed until further notice.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 hours ago, pracines said:

The point of my original post in this thread is to do like I did with those who love 32-bit. I took my stance that 64-bit is better long ago, and was told how wrong I was by most, they said it would be over kill, impossible, destroy the compatibility, and look at us now.

I will say once again here, the flight sim industry needs to be looking at 128 bit possibilities NOW, not after the technology/gaming industry has been there for 15 years already, but you and many others would likely disagree with all this talk of how we could never use all that overhead and how it would ruin compatibility, 

Hi Paul,

128 bit computing? Unlikely and certainly not for a very, very long time. I doubt whether LM would consider you ‘flavour of the month’ after busting a gut to get us to 64 bit. The jump from 32bit to 64bit is huge and it is unlikely in the extreme that flight simulation we’ll ever require 128bit processing capabilities.

“32-bit processors had a maximum RAM address of 4,294,967,296 (4 GB). 64-bit processors have a maximum RAM address of 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 (18 Zettabytes. ZB)!!”

These responses in 2016-17 to the question as to whether there is a 128bit processor spell out the realities of where we are now:

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-128-bit-processor

I think we can be pretty confident that 64bit computing will remain the useable standard for the foreseeable future....and possibly well beyond! “128-bits of memory is enough to catalogue the atomic structure of maybe two or three people” so perhaps the Starship Enterprise crew will use 128bit (? Quantum) computing to facilitate the success of matter transportation.

Regards,

Mike 🤓

On 8/2/2018 at 7:42 PM, troyboy66 said:

Anyone else seeing this issue or at least have some success with it? Thanks.

No, works like a charm here.

Nico

Your "older is better" position with technology/drivers will eventually catch up to you.

You have totally misrepresented my position.  I have never said nor implied older is better.  I changed gpus because I moved on from a 32-bit flight sim to a 64-bit flight sim.  Did you not read my post?  But I guess that's SOP for you.  You ignore what others have stated and throw a red herring into the discussion so that you can demonstrate how knowledgeable you are.  If the new driver works for you, fine.  Leave it that.  Frankly, I don't care.  But to state that LM *requires* one to install a new driver for P3D every time one is published is flat out not true.  But again, you make up your own facts.

• Upvote 2

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

5 hours ago, pracines said:

Your "older is better" position with technology/drivers will eventually catch up to you.

Said the man with the hardware that doesn't even meet LM's recommended hardware capabilities ...and those recommendation specs are before any addons are installed.

Heck, does the mobo manufacture still offer performance updates for that Haswell?

yeah, I'm piling on 🙂

Edited by FunknNasty
piling on remark

All this talk about only updating drivers only when LM does updates is evidence that an explicit and plain statement from LM is not understood. You see, LM did not qualify their statement at all, yet several people here are qualifying it for LM and telling us what LM meant, when we don't need people to explain plain statements from LM. They say, "that is for people who have issues". I say ok, but why that solution?, and why emphasize it emphatically. Why not another solution, since drivers are not that important?

What you sure seem to be advocating is blind obedience to a lawyerlike strict reading of L-M's recommendation w/r/t video drivers, without understanding that numerous real problems have been caused along the way by a steady stream of new drivers built on a short development cycle with virtually no application-specific testing done for flight sim platforms by the driver developer(s).  Has L-M ever recommended that people *not* use the newest driver when it was clearly causing people problems?  It's clearly demonstrable that nVidia's latest driver releases have, on multiple occasions, caused problems with FSX and/or P3D (stuttering, lighting issues, AA anomalies etc).  Mindless adherence to a doctrine of always updating to the latest drivers ignores the very real potential downside--that the latest driver will not only fail to improve performance, but it may have you spending hours/days trying to get back to what you had working before.  Been there, done that.  And let's not forget the times new drivers actually damaged cards by shutting down cooling fans or overvolting components!  The latest is not always the greatest, and taking a general recommendation by L-M as gospel will not protect you from the real trouble a flawed new driver can bring to your simming experience.  There's much to be said for the old saw "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

I just finished a flight from YMML to LLBG 15+ hours with this new driver, very high settings, Orbx FTX, ASP4/ASCA, PMDG 777LR, FS2Crew, GSX, UT live, STB, FSRealTime,  RC4.3 --- locked at 20 FPS & never went below 19.8 and smooth as Crisco Butter.....there is NOTHING wrong with this new driver.

You have encountered nothing wrong with this driver using the GTX 980.  You can't speak for its performance on my dual 1080Ti SLI config, nor for a guy running a 770 on his.

OT: as far as coding for 128-bit systems...following Moore's Law (doubling every 1.5 years) we won't be pushing the 64-bit 18 Exibyte VAS limit for nearly 50 more years.  And we won't see a CPU running at the TeraHertz clock speeds needed to make use of it for a little while, either.  Also consider that continued application of Moore's "Law" suggests unlimited exponential growth of computing power, and nowhere in the universe does exponential growth fail to hit a wall.  At what point will we need to install a 50A 240v main to power our PCs?  I think it's reasonably safe just now for L-M to keep working on P3D v5 without clearing the board for a new 128-bit platform.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I got the stutters from the new driver's.  Back to the old ones and no issues. I swear there is no other temperamental game / sim than this. If I run the new drivers at 60 at half adaptive half frame rate and lock in frames in riva tuner to 30 it stutters like crazy. Put it down to 30 hertz, no problem. 

If I revert back to the old drivers (like before) and do the adaptive trick again, no problems. 

Theres definitely something a miss with the new driver 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

The funny part in this thread, is that in a month or two, after a couple of new Nvidia driver updates are released, this same discussion will start all over again. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

53 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

The funny part in this thread, is that in a month or two, after a couple of new Nvidia driver updates are released, this same discussion will start all over again. 

Yes and when windows update comes along time to beat them with a stick, flight sim would perfect if Nvidia and Microsoft went away.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

14 hours ago, rjfry said:

Yes and when windows update comes along time to beat them with a stick, flight sim would perfect if Nvidia and Microsoft went away.

Not sure if your comment is positive or negative as far as Windows and nVidia is concerned, but either way it reflects the lack of knowledge and understanding by people who criticize Windows and nVidia for the "problems" they cause themselves.

1.  Windows 10 is/was Microsoft's move to making the OS an "App" platform.  It's a direct response to the way Apple's OS's work for their users.  It's an industry move that makes sense because of the CURRENT user base of home computer users.  We are a dying breed.  The current generation uses apps, apps, apps on platforms that allow that.  Nobody with an iPhone or iPad needs to understand ANYTHING about installing a piece of software (or making it "run right") other than "Click here to install our App!" Give an average teenager a home computer running Windows now and tell them to install a flight simulator on it, and you'd get the deer in the headlights look with "Why?  That's way too hard.  Where's the app for it?" (It's also why somebody like LM doesn't make P3D compatible with an Apple computer.  The "app" community would never buy it in sufficient quantity to make it worth while) 😂 

2.  Home computer PC user's for the MOST part do NOT have the background (experience) nor the technical expertise (education) to maintain their OWN computers at the same level of operation/maintenance/performance an IT or Network Operations department for a civilian or military department would provide for the end-users.  Windows 10 was developed to work the way it does to try to provide the AVERAGE home computer user the same services as an IT department...update the user's drivers, software, "applications", etc...AS NEEDED.  But the key words there are still AS NEEDED.  Heck, while I was doing IT on some of the worlds most highly classified networks, we would NOT just arbitrarily update hardware drivers across the entire network on everybody's desktop they were using JUST BECAUSE a new driver came out from the driver manufacturer.  New drivers are released FOR A REASON by the manufacturer, and they do not need to be updated UNLESS the end user has THAT REASON to do so.

3.  So, why did Microsoft "force" automatic driver updates on it's Windows 10 users?  Because MOST home computer users would NOT suffer from a driver update even if they DIDN'T need it.  BUT THAT IS BECAUSE most HOME computer users using Windows 10 do NOT use graphics intensive software "apps" like our flight sims, let alone "professional level, high demand" CAD programs that are "commercial quality" that would be found in a commercial network environment overseen by a professional IT department.  They use the computer for social networking, email, or the "apps" that come included with the OS.  But when (if) they start loading up their computer with things like high intensity "games" or graphics programs, they then NEED TO KNOW how to maintain their OWN computer in ways OTHER than the way Microsoft intended Windows 10 to do it FOR them.  That is where we all as flight sim users are.  We should NEVER be just updating our computer drivers willy-nilly just because a new one comes out.  It may work for SOME of us, but it will NEVER work for ALL of us at the same time.  There are just too many different hardware/software home computer configurations out there.  No one driver update would EVER work on ALL of those different configurations (like it would work on a Network controlled by an IT department where ALL the desktop computers on it were running (for the most part) the same hardware and software, with required user maintenance FORCED on the end user by the IT department...whether the end user liked it or not).

4.  Now, here is the real BS about people complaining about Windows 10 "screwing up our flight sims".  You CAN turn off the automatic driver updates in Windows 10.  You ALWAYS COULD do that...from the very first day Windows 10 was released.  Any IT department or professional Network Administrator knew that, and how to do it.  So, why doesn't the "flight sim Windows 10 complainer" just do it too?  Sorry, but it's because they DON"T know how to use their OS properly, and aren't willing (or capable? or just lazy?) of learning how to do it.  

So they post their opinions about Windows 10 being "crap" as a "fact", which is a reflection on THEIR lack of knowledge and understanding about their own computer use, and in no way is a FACTUAL representation of the operating system itself.

Opinions are not facts.  Never have been, and never will be.  There is nothing inherently wrong with Windows 10 as an OS, nor nVidia drivers/updates.  It is up to the end user to know how to use them properly, especially if the end user can't be "baby-sitted" by a professional IT department watching over their computers for them. 

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 1

Rick Ryan

Why don't you just come out and say what you mean? :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1.  NEVER do a driver update without having a way to GET BACK

Ghost, Acronis, something else - most important before you update anything in your rig.

No backup - no pity 😁

So going back to my original post, it appears a fix for stutters following a windows update is resolved with a newer driver 398.86. I'm about to try it and will report my findings.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-398-86-hotfix-driver-download.html

Edited by troyboy66

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

,LOL......and around and around we go :laugh:

So the other problem I had with 398.82 was that it was causing stutters in my other games as well such as FarCry 5, Battlefield 1 and CoD. I had two crashes in FarCry with that driver until I went back to an older one. So I'm optimistic with the newer fix

Edited by troyboy66

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE