Sign in to follow this  
dpergau

43" 4K monitor - anyone have such a beast?

Hi all,

I currently have 2 cheap-ish TN 24" LCD displays for my P3D setup.  I'd like to move to 4K and possibly take advantage of chaseplane to move around the virtual cockpit... something I'm not able to do with multiple monitors.  The giant LG 43" 4K IPS screen caught my eye the other day and is currently on sale.  It is 60hz.  The reviews are positive for productivity and some 'shoot em up' games but nothing on the 'net from P3D or Xplane users.

Anyone have one of these out there?  How is the performance and is it just too big?  I know some of you guys use 55" or even 65" 4k TVs so perhaps nothing is too big!

Thanks!

Dan

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

I recently bought a Samsung 49" 4K Tv and set it up as per Rob A's. post pinned at the top.  Turns out to be incredibly smooth and the graphics are quite stunning.

-Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

Been running a Sony 4K XBR43X800E for almost a year based on Rob A recommended settings at 30hz and have never looked back. Runs great on my EVGA FTW 1080TI. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, dpergau said:

Hi all,

I currently have 2 cheap-ish TN 24" LCD displays for my P3D setup.  I'd like to move to 4K and possibly take advantage of chaseplane to move around the virtual cockpit... something I'm not able to do with multiple monitors.  The giant LG 43" 4K IPS screen caught my eye the other day and is currently on sale.  It is 60hz.  The reviews are positive for productivity and some 'shoot em up' games but nothing on the 'net from P3D or Xplane users.

Anyone have one of these out there?  How is the performance and is it just too big?  I know some of you guys use 55" or even 65" 4k TVs so perhaps nothing is too big!

Thanks!

Dan

I sent you PM! As far as size goes it is big but I think it makes simming more immersive! The size is also great for other PC tasks! I don't think size effects performance, it's the resolution. If you live in the States you can order through newegg, amazon or B&H, they have a pretty liberal return policy, so if the size does not work you can easily return it!

Edited by strider1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Thanks all.. checking out 43" 4K TVs this weekend!

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

15 hours ago, dpergau said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Dan

I have three of these exact monitors set up in surround with v4.3's stretch fix.  Love them.  Flying A2A  172 in vc is 1 to 1 with actual size.  A single of these monitors is good, too.  When I got mine almost two years ago they were twice as much as they are now, so I'd say it's a good deal.  Go for it!

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

One piece of advice I was given for a potential UHD TV is Make sure it has Chroma 4:4:4 capability. That will make text much clearer. You do have to use it for general Windows duties too.

That will probably reduce the number of suitable TVs and may increase the price but better that than blurry text making Windows use difficult.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

I have three of these exact monitors set up in surround with v4.3's stretch fix.  Love them.  Flying A2A  172 in vc is 1 to 1 with actual size.  A single of these monitors is good, too.  When I got mine almost two years ago they were twice as much as they are now, so I'd say it's a good deal.  Go for it!

Here are some pictures of the setup  prior the wideview fix:

img%5D

20180622_14043120180622_140539

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Wow incredible!! Which screen is that? I think chaseplane will only work with one screen unfortunately. I’m pushing my luck already for one 40” screen :)

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

On 8/3/2018 at 11:34 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

One piece of advice I was given for a potential UHD TV is Make sure it has Chroma 4:4:4 capability. That will make text much clearer. You do have to use it for general Windows duties too.

That will probably reduce the number of suitable TVs and may increase the price but better that than blurry text making Windows use difficult.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

I think he is talking about a monitor and not a tv. Do monitors use subsampling?

Eric Escobar

5 hours ago, dpergau said:

Wow incredible!! Which screen is that? I think chaseplane will only work with one screen unfortunately. I’m pushing my luck already for one 40” screen 🙂

This looks like a nice monitor, kind of pricey though.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UD99-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor

Eric Escobar

6 minutes ago, strider1 said:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

I think he is talking about a monitor and not a tv. Do monitors use subsampling?

He’ll pay through the nose for a UHD monitor. A suitable UHD TV will cost far less. Don’t know what subsampling is, sorry.

Just check the TV has chroma 4:4:4. A Samsung 40” TV will cost around 400UKP so probably same in USD.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks guys. I did find a used Samsung 40” un40ju6500 in good condition which Jonfly raves about in a YouTube video. $450 CAD which I think is a good deal. It’s 60hz and 4k. Seems promising. I also found an Acer Predator 27” XB271HU 165hz FHD monitor for $700, an LG 43” 43uj6500 with a dent in the back for $300... display is still good I’m told and lastly a 43” samsung un43ku7000 with a bad pixel for $350. 

Dan

Edited by dpergau

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

Dan,

The TV that is recommended by my source is the Samsung MU6400. That's the UK model number so if you're elsewhere it may vary.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray... I'll search for that.

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL