Sign in to follow this  
dpergau

43" 4K monitor - anyone have such a beast?

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, dpergau said:

Wow incredible!! Which screen is that? I think chaseplane will only work with one screen unfortunately. I’m pushing my luck already for one 40” screen :)

Each of those three is the exact monitor you mentioned in your first post--the Phillips 43 inch.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

1 minute ago, vp49p3 said:

Each of those three is the exact monitor you mentioned in your first post--the Phillips 43 inch.

My bad--those are not LG, but Phillips.  Here's a link to them--https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2   I think they are terrific and about $100 less than the LG's.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Found a good deal on an Alienware 34” lcd as well. Not 4k but has 120hz and is wide screen. Weighing the pros and cons between that and a 4k tv

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

17 hours ago, dpergau said:

Found a good deal on an Alienware 34” lcd as well. Not 4k but has 120hz and is wide screen. Weighing the pros and cons between that and a 4k tv

Eye-candy, color and response time is going to be a lot nicer on a 4K IPS monitor! Keep in mind that TVs are going to have a higher response time. 120hz is nice but I don't think you will be able to push P3D and Xplane above 60FPS with higher eye-candy settings.   

Edited by strider1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

On 8/7/2018 at 2:40 AM, dpergau said:

I have a BenQ QHD monitor for photo work and it's very accurate. I temporarily plugged it into my P3D computer to check the increase in resolution. 2560*1440 over 1920*1080. It's only a 33% increase.

It made such a small improvement I decided not to invest in one for P3D. If you have a 1080 or better and are planning on a single display then 4K (3840*2160) will be much better.

However, for multiple displays that option goes out of the window as the demands on the card will result in poor fps. Under 20 in all likelihood.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ended up getting a Dell 3415W … got a demo of it first from an Air Canada 777 pilot!  Very impressive indeed.  I'm hoping to get chaseplane now to manage the views.  Thank you everyone for your help.

• Upvote 1

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

I just picked up the TCL 43S425 for $279 on Amazon. It supports Chroma 4:4:4. Really happy with this purchase and I didn't break the bank. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DK5PZFY?ref=dp_vse_pc0

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I’ve changed my mind about a 40” Samsung TV. Very tight on space so I’m now thinking of the BenQ 32” UHD monitor. https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor/designer/pd3200u.html

More expensive than a TV but I feel the image quality is a step up. I have their 27” 2560*1440 on another PC and love it. I’ve been running P3D on a Sony 32” 1920*1080 TV for 5 years and don’t feel the need to go larger.

Ghere is a formula for the optimum distance you should sit from a 4K display. Screen diagonal * 1.5. So that’s 4ft for a 32” UHD display. 5ft for a 40”.

Should size always be the primary consideration or should image quality be considered?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Does anybody have that LG 43" 4k monitor and can give me there opinion on it . I have the 40" Samsung 4ktv but after 2 yrs its starting to give me issues so I need to change it out. 

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

48 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

Does anybody have that LG 43" 4k monitor and can give me there opinion on it . I have the 40" Samsung 4ktv but after 2 yrs its starting to give me issues so I need to change it out. 

I resemble that.

Had mine for 3 weeks and no regrets. Best things - so far.

1. Remote
2. 6 inputs.
3. Good speakers (I connected the headphone out to my small mixer - deaf in left ear so I can turn stereo to mono and hear everything)
4. 4K with no need to scale in Windows 10.
5. PS4 games look fantastic.
6. Very happy with 4K game performance via display port and HDMI2 ports. (Ryzen 2700x and 1080TI with 32GB 3200 Ram and SSD's)

No downsides for me (I previously had a BenQ 32" - now relegated to my racing rig)

Definitely consider your viewing distance. I have a large desk and can comfortably sit well back from the screen if necessary - normally around 900-1000mm.
I do not open programs full screen (except games) but size them to what is comfortable and then move them around with the WinKey+Arrow shortcut.
I was not happy with my Hackintosh plugged in as the scaling was either too small or much to big. I needed something in between. I'll need to research Mac support further.
I still have a second 27" monitor for things I want to have open all the time. I would not be thinking that a 43" monitor would make a second screen unnecessary.
Make sure you use the provided cables or ensure you use HDMI2 and quality DP cables to get 4K at 60.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

howevr

1 hour ago, howevr said:

I resemble that.

Had mine for 3 weeks and no regrets. Best things - so far.

1. Remote
2. 6 inputs.
3. Good speakers (I connected the headphone out to my small mixer - deaf in left ear so I can turn stereo to mono and hear everything)
4. 4K with no need to scale in Windows 10.
5. PS4 games look fantastic.
6. Very happy with 4K game performance via display port and HDMI2 ports. (Ryzen 2700x and 1080TI with 32GB 3200 Ram and SSD's)

No downsides for me (I previously had a BenQ 32" - now relegated to my racing rig)

Definitely consider your viewing distance. I have a large desk and can comfortably sit well back from the screen if necessary - normally around 900-1000mm.
I do not open programs full screen (except games) but size them to what is comfortable and then move them around with the WinKey+Arrow shortcut.
I was not happy with my Hackintosh plugged in as the scaling was either too small or much to big. I needed something in between. I'll need to research Mac support further.
I still have a second 27" monitor for things I want to have open all the time. I would not be thinking that a 43" monitor would make a second screen unnecessary.
Make sure you use the provided cables or ensure you use HDMI2 and quality DP cables to get 4K at 60.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I use my rig only for flightsim and nothing else. I sit about 36 inches from screen. My main concern is color sharpness and brightness and a really tight screen that pops.  I find the 4k tvs okay but I want something better.

20 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

I find the 4k tvs okay but I want something better.

Your options are limited to these:-

• The best 40+” LCD TV you can afford.
  • A 32” UHD monitor. They don’t come any larger in 16:9.

Quality or quantity? The monitor will always deliver a better picture than a TV because it has a better panel. The price reflects that.

What were the issues you were having?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Your options are limited to these:-

• The best 40+” LCD TV you can afford.
  • A 32” UHD monitor. They don’t come any larger in 16:9.

Quality or quantity? The monitor will always deliver a better picture than a TV because it has a better panel. The price reflects that.

What were the issues you were having?

The TV was fine but lately its been a struggle to get a good picture and it starts to get over saturated when adjusting. I think part of the light source isn't performing and im trying to compensate for that. The TV I have been using is a Samsung UN40KU6290 which is there cheapest panel thus lasting only a couple of years. So im in the market for something new so was thinking of going the monitor route and I don't want to go less than 40" . 

29 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

The TV was fine but lately its been a struggle to get a good picture and it starts to get over saturated when adjusting. I think part of the light source isn't performing and im trying to compensate for that. The TV I have been using is a Samsung UN40KU6290 which is there cheapest panel thus lasting only a couple of years. So im in the market for something new so was thinking of going the monitor route and I don't want to go less than 40" . 

You get what you pay for. Having been bitten once give some thought to buying a better quality display next time. Everything is built to a price. I've had my Sony 32" Full HD TV for 5 years and it's still fine. But it cost £399 - far more than many other models.

Read reviews of anything you're considering and at least that way you go in with your eyes wide open. I always remember a saying my father told me "quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". Wise words.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather