Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Steinmetz

SID/Star Question

Does anyone have a sense of how in the real world pilots choose a SID/Star.  I took a flight from KBOS to KLGA - I use PFPX (along w/ Active Sky Next) - PFPX will assign the SID/Star for you if you wish.  For example, the STAR/approach assigned literally took me over KLGA - went about 15 miles west - and then turned around to land (I don't recall the runway details).  Maybe it's normal, but it feels very strange to be flying over the airport to turn around 180 degrees and land.  I understand that ATC will assign and we fly at the pleasure of ATC - I also know that when I set up my flight in PFPX I can choose from different SIDS/STARS.  Is there a site you can go to that shows currently assigned ATC routes for different airports?  Any thoughts would be appreciated as now that I have flown for a bit I'm looking to try and get a better sense of how is happens in real world conditions.  Thanks!!

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Steinmetz

Going from KBOS to KLGA the appropriate SID/STAR would be by letter of agreement between the two ATC facilities.  If inbound to an airport that requires a certain STAR the ATC controller prior to the start of the STAR will assign the appropriate STAR prior to the entry point of the STAR. Same for SIDS. 

You might try Fligtaware for current flight plans.  I'm sure there are others.  

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Most common STAR I see is HAARP, which takes you from VALRE to BASYE to HAARP to CRALY then directly to LGA.  You would likely be vectored off somewhat, but that airspace is very critical due to other airports and heavy traffic.  If you didn't head directly into RWY 22, you'd be instructed to head to another area for appropriate sequencing.  Likely down the Hudson, but I don't really know how they handle their VMC traffic.  Otherwise just follow an IAP for an IAF to the RWY in use.

For US and Canadian traffic, use FlightAware.  If it's within the FAA system, FA will display it.  As a general reminder, a large amount of traffic is vectored off the STAR during approach and either placed towards an IAF or even FAF located on an IAP.  In most VMC conditions, they will vector you to a visual point and have you report runway/airport in sight.  It's typically not that far out, usually within 9 miles.  Since the sim sometimes makes visual references difficult, just refer to IAPs, and head to a fix to get set up.  But keep in mind, real life airports can be hard to spot as well, especially smaller airfields.

It's not totally uncommon to fly over an airport though.  If terrain is high and your approach only allows one main flow, then you may fly over.  Most of these approaches into certain airports are for IMC.  For example, KMSO has a fun approach into RWY 30.  It's an RNAV approach that takes you directly over the airport at approximately 10,000 feet then curves over the mountains into a valley for a base leg final.  I have no idea how MSO is flown in VMC conditions into RWY 30, but for low visibility, the RNAV for 30 is pretty cool.  And the larger the aircraft, the less likely they will be kept tight into the field.  A Cessna landing at MSO can come downwind and turn into 30 no problem, but I have no clue how the Delta 738 that flies there would do it.  Usually in VMC you are clear to do whatever safe approach you can, as long as you aren't interfering with other airspace, traffic or TFRs.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired