Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Beauty of the jet age stewardess

Beside the in cabin cigarette smoking, I miss the old days, these put a smile on my face.

Women were women, men were men, people were classy, polite and dressed nicely.

This is just one example from my new favorite youtube channel.

I figured some others may enjoy all these large and varied amounts of videos if they haven't already found this channel.

Edited by VeryBumpy
spelling

Probably a little bit before that Aeroflot commercial was made, they looked a little more like this:

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Too much, thx for sharing laugh a lot... Other period... Other minds

Hi VeryBumpy,

Thanks for the videos that brought a smile to my face and reminded me of the good old days.

Jim Morgan

2 hours ago, jcjimmy said:

Hi VeryBumpy,

Thanks for the videos that brought a smile to my face and reminded me of the good old days.

There are a whole bunch of them. That first one is kind of weak IMO.

This is the one I wanted to post but it doesn't link the 'list.

5 hours ago, charliearon said:

Probably a little bit before that Aeroflot commercial was made, they looked a little more like this:

Vladimir-Putin-the-Stewardess--24967.jpg

Looks like a former East German swimmer to me!

John

6 hours ago, charliearon said:

1Vladimir-Putin-the-Stewardess--24967.jpg

... and I just spit out my coffee! Ha! Too funny!

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

A great read if you can find it is a book written by a stewardess in the late 60s or early 70s (I forget which) called, "Coffee, Tea, or Me?".   A real insight into the life of a stewardess and her stewardess' friends back then.   Believe me, these women got propositioned A LOT.

Mark

I once interviewed to be a flight attendant with US Airways in Frisco, they brought all the candidates into an auditorium and we had to get up and speak, sadly although I won the speaking part and had medical training, I had compromised vision and they required perfect vision at that time, even of flight attendants.  It is a thankless job, flight attendants in most unions are only paid wheels up to wheels down, block time.  I helped write the software for the flight attendants and pilots during the US Airways/American merger.  It is complicated software that not only tracks time in the air but also hotels at stopovers, and ground transportation, and meals, all juggled into a system to keep the flight attendants and pilots on the go and in good health.  American had a huge, half mile long business center, just east of Sky Harbor airport, back in 2014 when I left them to go on to write medical software for Obamacare.  All such software was interrelated, about putting people with places such as hotel rooms and hospital rooms, or seats on an airliner.  My contribution to the world of aviation was just a three month contract, but it was a world of wonder while I was there.  Now I am happily out on disability,from the wear and tear of being a road warrior for the majority of my career, always flying somewhere.

John

Edited by Cactus521

A very good friend of mine was a stewardess with United Airlines back in the 70's. She is in her 50s now and she is still stunning as age has nothing on her. She was in her early 20s when she moved to Chicago from New Mexico to take the job, she is Navajo had the most amazing long hair. They did the training and they had makeovers etc, the top stylist in Chicago used to do the haircuts for United back then and he cut her hair into a short classic bob. This was a significant thing to do for a Navajo woman but she loved it. She showed me pictures from back then and yep she was exactly like the stewardess' of the era and she did look amazing.

They don't do anything like that anymore, imagine United Airlines lining everyone up for haircuts today and the short dresses they used to where with those boots!!! Unions would go crazy, different time back then

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

On 8/5/2018 at 1:48 PM, charliearon said:

Vladimir-Putin-the-Stewardess--24967.jpg

Isn't that Vladimir Putin's sister?

putin_1.jpg

Edited by TuFun

2 minutes ago, TuFun said:

Isn't that Vladimir Putin's sister?

Sintwister....twin sister!😱

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 8/6/2018 at 6:40 PM, mtrainer said:

Believe me, these women got propositioned A LOT.

I have a relative who is a career flight attendant. A California Beach Beauty who started with Air Cal. When I saw her after she had started the job I noticed she was wearing a wedding ring and I started kidding her about getting snagged by a pilot. She told me that one of the things she was taught before stepping foot on her first flight was to wear a wedding ring to keep the dogs at bay. :laugh: 

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

On 8/7/2018 at 2:14 PM, Cactus521 said:

when I left them to go on to write medical software for Obamacare. 

I wouldn't include that on your resume John.  As I recall the rollout of the Obamacare enrollment did not go well. :biggrin:  I imagine that working for the airlines was more interesting.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

23 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

I wouldn't include that on your resume John.  As I recall the rollout of the Obamacare enrollment did not go well. :biggrin:  I imagine that working for the airlines was more interesting.

Ted

Our state rollout in Arizona went very well, I am proud to have that on my resume, I was lead QA.  The federal rollout was the problem and the way some states implemented it.  That said I was against Obamacare because of its intrusiveness into patients' medical history and the individual insurance mandate, which allowed insurance companies to charge carte blanche and get away with it.  I did get free medical coverage thru access since I was on and still am on disability but that switched to Medicare, which is still good since my pension is too high now for access.  Obamacare, had it been handled right and had Obama not been in bed with the insurance companies, might have worked.  I am not always in line with President Trump but I agreed with his stance on Obamacare--yes it provided me a job but I much preferred my original work in the hotel industry and I was happy to get out of my contract when I did and take a long and well deserved vacation after the seven day work week we had trying to implement it by the feds deadline in Arizona.

The Arizona Obamacare Access portal I was proud of, as it gave our customers something they could follow despite all the federal gobbledegook behind it.  But all in all the part of my resume I was proudest of was my work on the American/US Airways merger, although it stretched my knowledge because we coded our tests in C# and Java, whereas I was a Visual Basic programmer (my Avsim upload Landclass Assistant was written in VB, bulletproof once I heeded input in the forums from landclass experts and got the raw file format right).

John