Sign in to follow this  
Guest United

A Shocking CTD !!!

Guest United

I've struggled with CTD's (spontaneous and usually random uncerimonious exiting from FS9 to the desktop, no error message whatsoever) just like many here for about a year. I've figured all of them out too, mostly AFCAD and texture problems in one fashion or another; but, here about 2 weeks ago, my FS9 started to CTD while I was flight planning!! YIKES! This has happened about 6 times in the past two weeks, once during flight as well, but all of the others just BAM!!!..... right from the flight planning window of FS9!. This is quite alarming. I have NO explanation for this. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this type of CTD or has any clue where the problems is? I have no other problems with programs within my Windows XP Home SP2 environs and with 1 GIG of memory and a nice GEForce 7800 GTX video card with uptodate drivers... Im at a loss. I even freshly reinstalled FS9 just about 10 weeks ago. This makes no sense to me at all and makes me wonder if I need to reinstall my entire operating system as well now. Faulty harddrive? Hmmmm.......makes me wonder. Comments?Randy Jura, KPDX

Randy,Can you tell us the configuration of the rest of your system - what is your CPU and motherboard and chipset? Also, is your memory modules a matched pair (e.g. Corsair TwinX?) or were they bought at different times and from different manufacturers? I just want to eliminate a RAM issue which I and many others have had with FS2004 so your info on your system is very important to know.I wouldn't re-install Windows for this type of issue unless other programs or games you play are also crashing. Also, if you have a defective hard drive, you can see entries in your Event Viewer for bad blocks. To see this, go to Control Panel - Administrative tools - Event Viewer - select System logs --> and look for the Event Source of DISK. You can filter your Event log (under System logs sections) from the VIEW menu in Event Viewer and select Event source as DISK (see screenshot attached to this msg.). Have you cleaned up your temp files from C:DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS[YOUR PROFILE FOLDER]LOCAL SETTINGSTEMP and from C:WINNTTEMP recently and do a defrag? Have you done a chkdsk/f/r (from command prompt) or using the GUI?Let us know.Hope this helps.John

Guest firehawk44

I share your frustration(s) Randy as I have had periodic crashes in the past few weeks too. No error message or anything in the event viewer indicating there was a problem. I just restart FS9 and the "problem" goes away for a few days. I'm usually loading a flight plan or, after loading a flight plan and sitting at the airport, FS9 closes. I'm wondering if recent XP security updates are causing the problem as this never happened a month or two ago. Just recently. Without an error message it will be difficult to pinpoint the problem. The only new program I installed in the past few weeks is Ground Environment but doubt that is the problem unless one of textures is somehow corrupted. I think the sim would crash everytime if that is the problem. Perhaps a complete reinstall of FS9 is in order.... Ugh!Best regards,JimYoung

Guest United

Excellent suggestions John. As my harddrive is partitioned in thirds, I found, through the event logs a bad block on one of the partitions, unfortunately not the partition with FS9 data on it. My FS9 partition is, however, dangerously low in space (only 3 gigs remaining and my Diskeeper defrag is warning me of it's lowness!). I have a socket 775 Intel Pentium IV chip with Intel 925X Chipset. The RAM is one GIG Kingston strip. I am not happy about the partitioning of the harddrive as it has crowded out FS9 material and am looking into a disk repartitioning program. Also, if I needed to, I live about 5 min. from Fry's Electronics and could wisk the RAM into them to check on it's integrity. I smell hardware problem in this as well. Could you tell me the nature of your problems with RAM and FS9?..... chkdsk is checking file integrity as we speak.Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest United

Jim, My god I hope it's not security update conflicts with FS9. That would be the kiss of death in my opinion, as there is really no practical way to know which one. Obviously, reinstalling Windows XP and manually allowing only certain updates up to a certain past date on the calendar would fix the potential problem, but what a task that is. I'd rather not. I too use Ground Environment, but.... how can that interfere with simple flight planning, that is my present quandry, that is why I think I've rules GE out of this current debacle. I just reinstalled FS9, as I said, about 10 weeks ago and believe me Jim, did me NO good with the present problem and I did find that I had mis-installed Ultimate Terrain. I had hoped that would fix my prior in-flight CTD's, and I think it did, but this new one is a new animal altogether I think. Thank you for responding!Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest Philip Olson

At what point in the flight planner screen do you get the CTD? The reason that I ask is because a very long time ago FS9 would freeze whenever I would create a flight plan that would contain the western United States. Basically as soon as the map would come up showing my path over the western US FS9 would terminally freeze, on a few occasions it would CTD. I could never find an answer for this problem nor could anyone else. After a reinstall everything worked fine for a while but after some time, and some add ons once again I had the same problem. My best guess is that it may be related to some add on but only rears it's head on a very few types of systems. I have some ideas but I will not name names until I know for sure, but for the most part I have given up trying to chase this out since I am pretty fed up with trying to figure this one out. I know this does not help you much but I was more curious if your problem could be related to mine. If it turns out that our problems are the same I would be willing to share the information that I have with you since it might help. I just got out of the hospital so I will not be around here a whole lot in the coming days so please be patient if you need a response from me.Thanks and best of luck! Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Any of you guys have the IE7 Beta?If you do, go to your main FS directory and delete/move OLEACC.DLL and your CTD's should go away... Hope that helps :D

Guest United

Phillip, thanks a great deal for your response. I have had the CTD occur actually just trying to name a flight plan. It is not confined to a particular geographical area however. For instance. I was in the midst of saving a flight KIAD-TJSF just today, and just before I hit the OK button to save it, FS9 CTD'd. I have CTD'd while looking at my scenery files through FS9 and it CTD'd there as well. My intuition right now is that we're not having the same problem. I just dont think any of my addons are responsible at this point. I was worried a bit about my Ground Environment program, but I just dont see how that or any other addon makes FS9 dump out of a non-flight stage of use of FS9. Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest United

I wish I did ! .........nope, Im still on IE6 or some version thereof.Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest United

John's suggestion to run chkdsk /f/r on my FS9 drive may have yielded a fruitful problem, a bad cluster was discovered and corrected. I think I am going to change (enlarge) my FS9 partition as well and hope that between these two, I will eliminate the problem. If not, well, between now and FSX, I shall continue to valiantly tweak and adjust.... for that is, for better or worse, part of our hobby !Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest United

Still workin' on it.Randy Jura, KPDX

This probably won't be of any help to you, but I've had a flightplanning CTD last week. Happened when I opened up a saved flightplan to import it. FS9 CTDed when I selected it and double clicked. Hasn't happened since, and I import plans quite often (since I build them via FSBuild). Nevertheless, this was the first such ocurrence I've ever experienced in FS9...come to think of it, I've never had it happen in FS2002 either.The only thing that we seem to have in common here is a GeForce 7800 card with updated drivers. Who knows, maybe that's where the problem lies, though I'd imagine there's a boatload of 7800 series owners here without such problems, and a single ocurrence (in my case) does not constitute a problem yet, but rather an anomaly.

Guest sssummer

I am also having a major CTD problem, can't figure out the cause. Very frustrating, but with some many add on, where does one start? I was hoping the post about IE7 was the answer to my problems, and I removed the file, (it was looking good), but as I got to the runway at KONT to fly to KLAS, alas, a hard crash! UGH!!!

Guest United

Well, what I did was to set aside my original FS9 folder and installed FS9 anew. The problem does NOT occur with the newer installation, which is a relief. I can safely say after about an hour of successful monitoring that the newer FS9 proves to me that it is not my hardware or computer or OS in general. It's a corrupted FS9 installation. I have yet to pinpoint the problem files and may have to reinstall all my addons. Not a bad thing really, just very time consuming. Sooooo...... If I find the offending file(s) or folders, I'll report back!!Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest kurtj

Glad to hear you partially got it resolved. Another thing that comes to mind is to make sure you don't have Viewpoint Manager on your system. This causes crashes as well. In my case it was the send the message to microsoft. I am not sure if this is quite related to the flight planner however in the Microsoft knowlege pages it did say that MSFS would shut down unexpectly by using any or a few items using the menu bar. Once I got rid of this the crashes went away. Hope this helps..Kurt.