Sign in to follow this  
Kronovan

FS9 Aircraft in FSX:SE - Textures?

I've been trying to use some of my FS9 aircraft in FSX:SE and each time the textures are missing. I've noticed that's even the case for free FS9 aircraft downloads that are claimed to be FSX compatible. I've been surprised a number of time that reviewers of such aircraft that claim to be using them with FSX, never seem to mention that they've taken the aircraft through some conversion step. When I browse these FS9 airplane's folders, I notice that the texture folders have files with a BMP  extension (what I know to be standard bitmap graphics format), whereas my FSX aircraft texture folders have files with a DDS extension. So I'm guessing that the DDS format is some new (likely more compressed) graphic format intro'd for FSX.

So my question is whether it's possible to even use FS9 aircraft in FSX and if so, how do you make the textures compatible?

I'm also curious if running with the DX10 support in FSX:SE / FSX Accelerated has any impact on the compatibility of FS9 aircraft; i.e. is this the likely explanation why players using FS9 aircraft with FSX SP2 or earlier don't need to convert anything?

Edited by Kronovan

Kronovan,

I know this is not helpful to you, but I would be very, very interested in the reverse procedure ie FSX aircraft for FS9 and I truly wonder if anyone has worked out a conversion for that. I just imagine the latest PMDG aircraft for FSX in FS9 as an example. Yum Yum. My wallet would take a huge hit and I could go back to using my six displays with a great frame rate.

Apart from a financial point of view, which is relevant, I think all the FSX aircraft are a better quality  and most are more complex than their FS9 equivalents, so, I personally, cannot see the point of using F9 aircraft in FSX platforms. Having said that, please note that until very recently, I have never bought payware aircraft for the FSX platforms ... this  changed with P3Dv4 and I have just started my 64bit hangar but have had to go back to using only one display.

I will follow this with interest

Regards to all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I'm thinking that maybe the DX10 is what is goofing up your textures.  I have many FS9 aircraft that I use in my FSX that work fine.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

I'm thinking that maybe the DX10 is what is goofing up your textures.  I have many FS9 aircraft that I use in my FSX that work fine.

I did a bit more research and it is indeed the DirectX 10 support that goofs up the textures. There's even a 3rd party app called Converter X  as discussed in this Avsim thread, that will do the graphics conversion on the fly; albeit at a performance hit. I'm already challenged for frame rates in large cities with extensive coastlines and highly varied topography (i.e Vancouver Canada which I most often fly from or to), so I don't want to entertain any solution that will further dent performance. That tool also does't do any permanent conversion, so textures remain in FS9 fromat once you stop FSX.

I'm guessing there's some tool out there that can permanently convert aircraft BMPs to DDSs; I just need to find such a tool and how to use it. I normally wouldn't bother with FS9 aircraft, but there's a few that have never been recreated for FSX by fans or 3rd party companies.

Edited by Kronovan

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

I know this is not helpful to you, but I would be very, very interested in the reverse procedure ie FSX aircraft for FS9 and I truly wonder if anyone has worked out a conversion for that...

Well in theory if you can convert one way, you can convert the other - at least that meshes with my experience using cartography and GIS software for over 2 decades. That said, in my experience it's rare for anyone to develop a conversion tool that coverts from a newer, optimal format to a simpler, older one. If my theory about the DDS files being a more advanced, compressed version of the BMPs in FS9, converting the other way might be problematic.

Kronovan,

I really do appreciate that what I suggested was problematic at best.  However, the thought behind it was, as I said, how nice would it be to have P3Dv3 or FSX/FSX-SE aircraft flyable in FS2004.  FS2004 is the ONLY platform I can utilise 6 monitors with an acceptable/excellent frame rate. 6 Monitors give me a great feeling of immersion which largely negates the need for Chase Plane, eazidok or any other "camera" utility. I know that I am "dreaming" but to have P3Dv4 standard aircraft in FS2004 would be the ultimate for me. I stress "ME" I can handle the lack of airports and/or sceneries as I only fly in Australia/NZ/Indonesia and VOZ 1.8 complete/BDO Aviation do an admirable job of that. 

Having said all of that, I am now struggling to come to terms with one display with VR in mind eventually. I am not happy with one display but at least I can fly P3Dv4 aircraft and that is a partial step up.

Finally, I really just want to fly and spending hours converting this and that to fit in with a really old platform is simply not worth the effort, however desirable it is for the few people left with (and loving) fs2004. Flight simming is for flying and not really for tweaking to make a really old platform perform like the modern ones. Time for me to wake up and smell the coffee I think.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.