Sign in to follow this  
medic89

Never ending story: CTD on westbound North Atlantic flights near Canad

Hello Guys,

I know, this is an issue many people are observing while flying on North atlantic routes to Canada/US, for me, this happened almost everytime, after a flight time of 4-7 hours somwhere in the vicinity of New Foundland (I don't use the timelaps function!), my Simulator (P3D v3 and v4) freezes after a view change or clicking any spot in the cockpit (NOT just the Captains PFD!) and a couple of seconds later P3D terminates and the event viewer tells me an error of the NTDLL.

I've tried the suggestions of the AVSIM CTD guide, I also run always the latest driver builds (including my GTX 1080) and I don't use any overclocking at all. Since this happens only in PMDG planes (777 and 747), I'm writing this in here.

This have been the bad news, but maybe I got a solution for all this. In a forum (sorry, I forgot where it was) somebody accused the tool GSX to be the offender, so I did the following:

So far I performed two flights from EGLL to KBOS, first with the 747 and last with the 777 (each with the BA livery from the OC), but during the climbout of Heathrow I went to the addon menu of P3D and disabled GSX and after a few seconds I enabled it again, and surprisingly, I was able to complete both flights without an issue!

Now just to be clear: I know this is anything but significant, this could be totally a coincidence, it takes more tests to confirm / dismiss this theory. Unfortunately I do not have the time to do an atlantic crossing every day, so I'm asking you guys to try out these steps with disabling GSX and tell us here, wheter it works or not, maybe we can get of this problem once and for all.

Thank you guys, best regards

Phil Tereny

The latest GSX updates turn it off once you are in the air. This crash also doesn't only happen near Newfoundland but also over Russia.

• Upvote 1

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

2 hours ago, medic89 said:

Now just to be clear: I know this is anything but significant, this could be totally a coincidence, it takes more tests to confirm / dismiss this theory. Unfortunately I do not have the time to do an atlantic crossing every day, so I'm asking you guys to try out these steps with disabling GSX and tell us here, wheter it works or not, maybe we can get of this problem once and for all

You missed out on the twenty-something page thread in the AVSIM P3D forum on this subject.  John is spot on, run your FSDT Updater.  You will know you have removed the GSX issue if you try to use it above 250/10000 where it will now respond with an I'm disabled message.  By the way in defense of FSDT, their modules were not causing the crash directly.  Rather, they were loading facility data and someplace there is corrupt data in the P3D files that directly causes the crash.  FSDT could have said that hey it's not my problem but they did modify the behavior of their module to avoid the P3D problem.  PMDG has done the same thing with the left outboard DU 2D popup... they modified their code to avoid a bug in P3D.  LM is still out to lunch on these items.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have the same problem flying into Charleston SC or Atlanta from Europe. 

Just a side note other then GSX I had ntdll issues after crossing the Atlantic my culprit was certain models contained within my traffic 6. Most of these were non commercial aircraft such as military craft, Hence my crash was probably related to approaching different AFB along the east coast. I think in total I had to remove 6 or eight models from my traffic and was smooth flying since.

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

I will do an EGLL to KBOS flight in the PMDG 744 to see if it will CTD on me. I will leave GSX on, as I normally would, and I will change some views and open various displays. 

Just so everybody is on the "same page" so to speak -- I have Windows 10 64-bit 1803 build 17134.191, P3D v4.3, and I use driver booster 5.5 Pro.

Will report back when complete or upon a CTD.

Just completed the flight from EGLL gate 555  (Aerosoft mega) to KBOS gate E3 (FlyTampa rebooted) PMDG 744 BAW flight 213 with no problems at all. 

Orbx Global complete - ASP4/ASCA - Envtex/shade 

I used the default ATC with this flight plan from PFPX:

CPT3F CPT UL9 GAVGO UL18 DIKAS UL9 STU N546 BAKUR DCT VENER NATD UMESI N378A EBONY DCT AJJAY OOSHN5

Lots of view changing throughout the flight and popping out the PFD ND FMC ECAS without even a hiccup. 

GSX worked fine boarding & de-boarding. I never had to disable GSX and I often do very long 15+ hour flights in the 777LR. 

I use UT Live for traffic - FS real time - Super Traffic Board

The only time I have ever had trouble with GSX was with 32 bit OOMs on arrival, and I'm so glad that is in the past! 🙂

26 minutes ago, pracines said:

I never had to disable GSX

If you are keeping it up to date, GSX will disable itself above 250/10000.

Dan Downs KCRP

54 minutes ago, downscc said:

If you are keeping it up to date, GSX will disable itself above 250/10000.

Hum, I'm totally updated, I run the updater as part of my pre-flight.😁 I never realized this fact, and it never mattered. I was wondering about what all this talk of disabling GSX was. When the OP said they were disabling it manually I figured they were having issues with GSX.

Either way, I can confirm that EGLL to KBOS flights are doable with the very latest GSX updates.👨‍✈️   

On 8/6/2018 at 4:31 PM, downscc said:

You missed out on the twenty-something page thread in the AVSIM P3D forum on this subject.  John is spot on, run your FSDT Updater.  You will know you have removed the GSX issue if you try to use it above 250/10000 where it will now respond with an I'm disabled message.  By the way in defense of FSDT, their modules were not causing the crash directly.  Rather, they were loading facility data and someplace there is corrupt data in the P3D files that directly causes the crash.  FSDT could have said that hey it's not my problem but they did modify the behavior of their module to avoid the P3D problem.  PMDG has done the same thing with the left outboard DU 2D popup... they modified their code to avoid a bug in P3D.  LM is still out to lunch on these items.

It took LM 6 months or more to correct the simconnect window issue.

I am getting very disapointed with the slow progress we are seeing in P3D. 64 bit was a big thing, but the AI engine is from FS9, same goes for much of the ultra rigidity of the AFCAD systems in use.

In an interview with FSElite LM representatives talked in positive communication style and stated that they left many improvements up to the "community" because they are so good at it.

The problem as I see it is, that many developers have to invent hacks and tricks to work around limitations in the systems, because LM does not improve the platform.

• Like 1

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg