Sign in to follow this  
Bt103504

Change Strobe/Beacon Lighting on Aircraft

So I've learned how to change aircraft lighting on vehicles by identifying the appropriate .fx files on the p3dv4/effects folder and then modifying the aircraft config file lights section with the appropriate lighting names. Most of the lighting effects I've been able to swap around are from various freeware aircraft that came with their own specific custom lighting or the shockwave lighting package.

However I also have a vast library of payware aircraft some of which have excellent LED beacon and strobe effects. What I'm trying to do is utilize some of these lighting effects from the payware aircraft on some of my other payware aircraft or freeware fleet. To be clear, I'm not re-distributing these models nor am I suggesting that should occur. This is purely for personal use.

I've noticed that when I assign the lighting effect to the new aircraft I would like it work on the light does light up using the default lighting command "L" or "O" respectively. Instead, it simply lights up and does not actually blink. I assume there is something I'm missing that would be triggering the effect? To be more specific I'm looking to utilize the Carenado strobes or LED beacons. Any thoughts?

Are you sure the effects you’re trying to use are indeed .fx files and not built into the models themselves?  Most payware models use the latter rather than the former and couldn’t be copied over.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Great point. I assumed they were .fx files because they showed up in the effects folder and when I add them to the aircraft .cfg file they actually do show up on the aircraft, they just don't blink like they normally would when the switch is thrown they just stay on. That leads me to believe there is simply some other input that I'm missing that I would need to add to the models or the panel.cfg 

Any ideas anyone?

Could you give an example of the aircraft(s) and fx files you’re trying to use?  If I have the aircraft I’ll Take a look.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Sure when I get home tonight I'll give it a shot and post something up here. I'm really trying to use the .fx files from the Carenado aircraft since they have the best strobes/LED beacon I've seen. But if you have any freeware suggestions with great effects I'm open to those as well.

I know that you're talking about changing the lights on the aircraft that you fly, but why stop there!  There is a freeware program what will amaze you by what it does with the AI Aircraft Lighting called FS Reborn AI Lights (Freeware).  We're working on the Professional (Payware) version, but the freeware version has been hailed as a WINNER by many highly experienced people in our community. I can tell you that the

https://www.fsreborn.com/ai-lights-reborn-free-edition

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

4 minutes ago, newtie said:

Does this work with Traffic Global aircraft?

Traffic Global is on Beta and they haven't included any lighting configuration to any of their models.

As soon as they do it then my freeware and payware will be able to work with it.

I answered this question to you already before via my forums.

Regards,

Simbol