Sign in to follow this  
Nkflyer

i5-8600K vs i7-8700 vs i7-8700k? Which one should I go with?

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the process of building a new rig and need some hardware advice (I'm a beginner in the field). I just came off an FX-8350 processor and I'm switching over to the Intel lineup.

I'm currently debating between the i5-8600K, i7-8700 and i7-8700K, while balancing out a few criteria:

-I'm NOT planning to overclock anything, so I'll be using the stock clock speeds

-I'd like to minimize the need for any intense cooling systems on my machine and keep heat output to a minimum in general (I already have 2 fans from my previous machine that I'd like to use, and ideally I'd want to keep it at just those unless I absolutely need to buy specific fans)

-My budget is fairly flexible, but I'd still strongly prefer to minimize spending on the CPU if possible (so I'd go for the i5 if that's sufficient, but if absolutely necessary I can go with the more expensive option)

-I use some payware airports and aircraft (and I like a fair bit of AI traffic at airports to make them feel more alive - with at least 80% or so) - I have quite a few addons installed in general

So I guess what I'm getting at is: would it be possible to enjoy a smooth FSX experience on higher settings and more detailed scenery on an i5-8600K given the criteria above without an overclock, or would I need to bump up the CPU to the i7 to enjoy a good experience? Would it even be possible to do with my criteria in the first place on any of the CPUs?

I'm also using an RX470 GPU and will have 16GB of RAM.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

1 hour ago, Nkflyer said:

I'm currently debating between the i5-8600K, i7-8700 and i7-8700K, while balancing out a few criteria:

-I'm NOT planning to overclock anything, so I'll be using the stock clock speeds

So I guess what I'm getting at is: would it be possible to enjoy a smooth FSX

Quoted what got my attention, no overclok the awnser is simple for me i7-8700

FSX!? just confuses me that people still invest in FSX with all the OOM problems, but well is hardware, you can go later to P3D v4 or even better X-Plane 11

• Like 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

If your not going to OC then the i7-8700 has a bigger turbo boost compared to the i5-8600k (4,3 vs 4.7)

Edited by zmak

ZORAN

6 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Quoted what got my attention, no overclok the awnser is simple for me i7-8700

FSX!? just confuses me that people still invest in FSX with all the OOM problems, but well is hardware, you can go later to P3D v4 or even better X-Plane 11

I agree, just don't see the point in upgrading your hardware when the software (FSX) will be your biggest bottleneck imho.

I would go with the 8700K. I know you said you weren't going to overclock, but minds do change. It may be that in a few months time, next year, the year after, you may feel differently about overclocking and wish to give it a bash. At that point, you may well regret not having the "k" variant.

8600 has lower cache and lower max Turbo frequency. 

Edited by martin-w

8 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I would go with the 8700K. I know you said you weren't going to overclock, but minds do change. It may be that in a few months time, next year, the year after, you may feel differently about overclocking and wish to give it a bash. At that point, you may well regret not having the "k" variant.

8600 has lower cache and lower max Turbo frequency. 

Agreed. what a waste to not utilize the maximum horse power available..especially FSX where CPU is king

ZORAN

There was a time when I thought that overclocking was voodoo that would quickly kill a CPU.  Once I tried overclocking, I was convinced it could be done safely and that with a good cooler, the CPU would still enjoy a very long life.  Today, I would not consider a CPU that was locked and not capable of being overclocked.  With a good cooler, overclocking the CPU is the least expensive performance boost you can give to a computer.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Mobo: ROG Apex

Cpu: 8700K or 8600K

Ram: GSkill 3200 c14 2x8GB

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

GPU: GTX 1080ti

anything less (or more) than the above and you run the risk of ....well, see the P3D forum -if you're using P3d 4.3.

Optional: PS/2 mouse and keyboard, Win7 Pro

other recs: P/S Corsair Rm 750x, Samsung EVO drives,

Thanks for the responses everyone! Looks like 8700K it is! 🙂

Also, would the 2 built-in case fans be enough? Or should I get more cooling for the 8700?

Which CPU cooler do you currently have?

But yes, two case fans is sufficient, especially if not cutrently overclocking. One ingesting at the front and one exhausting at the rear.

To be honest, even those of us overclocking tend to go way over the top with case fans. 

Even at 5 Ghz with the 8700k I only have two 140 fans at the front and one 140 at the rear.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

Which CPU cooler do you currently have?

But yes, two case fans is sufficient, especially if not cutrently overclocking. One ingesting at the front and one exhausting at the rear.

To be honest, even those of us overclocking tend to go way over the top with case fans. 

Even at 5 Ghz with the 8700k I only have two 140 fans at the front and one 140 at the rear.

My old, but still quite functional, computer uses the Antec 900 case.  It features a pair of 120mm intake fans in the lower 1/2 of the front of the case, a single 120mm exhaust fan at the top rear of the case and a 240mm exhaust fan in the top of the case.  Adequate airflow does not seem to be an issue with this arrangement.  Honestly, I think the top fan in the case is overkill.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If you're not overclocking I would either get an 8086k or wait for the i9 9900k due out on October 1st with 8 cores and up to 5GHz boost clocks.  Reason being that the stock, out-of-the-box performance of these parts will be the highest of any consumer CPU for the next year or so.  

Do people round these parts not follow hardware news?  I find it odd that so many people are chiming in with advice in multiple "what hardware should I get" threads with advice to buy hardware that is literally weeks away from being replaced...

Do people round these parts not follow hardware news?  I find it odd that so many people are chiming in with advice in multiple "what hardware should I get" threads with advice to buy hardware that is literally weeks away from being replaced...

He mentioned three CPU's he was interested in. He asked which of the three he should go for. The answers reflected that question. He also said he wished to "minimise spending", so given that the 8086k is more expensive, and the 9900K is looking like it will be "considerably" more expensive, those options weren't suggested.  If he hadn't said he wished to minimise spending I'm sure those options would have been suggested.  

Edited by martin-w

19 minutes ago, martin-w said:

He mentioned three CPU's he was interested in. He asked which of the three he should go for. The answers reflected that question. He also said he wished to "minimise spending", so given that the 8086k is more expensive, and the 9900K is looking like it will be "considerably" more expensive, those options weren't suggested.  If he hadn't said he wished to minimise spending I'm sure those options would have been suggested.  

My point is that better answers exist, which the OP may not be aware of.  The question then is, why not inform the OP of these options which he seems to be unaware of, unless those making said responses are not themselves aware of said options.  

There's nothing to suggest the 9900k will be considerably more expensive than e.g. 8086k since, despite the "i9" nomenclature it is still a mainstream part.  In fact, I will bet right now that its price falls within $50 of 8086k pricing.  When discussing mainstream CPUs for a new build, the price differences are relatively small in the grand scheme.  It's not like I said "why aren't you guys recommending a 7980xe".  Besides, the 9700k will be out around the same time as the 9900k so if the $50-100 difference in price is too much then there's the "budget" option which may still be an upgrade over existing parts.

Bottom line: new parts are weeks away and there are lots of people asking for advice on parts purchases who no doubt are unaware of these impending launches.  Why not inform them?

Edited by TechguyMaxC