Sign in to follow this  
jonfo

Black Screen - DX10 Preview

Hi all

I had not played FSX:SE for a few months. When I started a few weeks ago whenever I pressed fly and tried to go into the actual sim all I got was a black screen. I did some research and found that I had to select the 'Preview Direct X10' option in the settings menu of the sim. This worked. 

However, I have now tweaked my Nvidia Inspector and fsx config file according to https://www.simforums.com/forums/nvi-w7810-driver-setup-fsx-fsxse-and-p3d-update_topic59954.html 
In this guide it states that these settings will not work when this box is selected. I am still getting the same issue after my compleet un-install and then re-install. Like I say, I have tweaked this and still the black screen presents. 

To clarify, my sim works when the box is ticked however, I am assuming that my tweaks will not be functioning due to the guide I followed. 

Desperate for some advice on this one!

Thanks in advance. 

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide has helpful hints too.  I am not sure what tweaks you have incorporated into FSX-SE.  AVSIM recommends none if you have a i7 PC.  Tweaks are for those duo-core systems when FSX was first released.  For instance, the Bufferpool tweak can cause all kinds of anomalies if not properly employed and it all depends on the addons.  The addons that use the most resources probably will not render or will have difficulties.  I assume you are also using Steve's DX10 Fixer.  That is the best tweak you can install with FSX-SE.  It actually fixes most of the anomalies in FSX with DX10 Preview enabled.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide has helpful hints too.  I am not sure what tweaks you have incorporated into FSX-SE.  AVSIM recommends none if you have a i7 PC.  Tweaks are for those duo-core systems when FSX was first released.  For instance, the Bufferpool tweak can cause all kinds of anomalies if not properly employed and it all depends on the addons.  The addons that use the most resources probably will not render or will have difficulties.  I assume you are also using Steve's DX10 Fixer.  That is the best tweak you can install with FSX-SE.  It actually fixes most of the anomalies in FSX with DX10 Preview enabled.

Thanks Jim - I do have an Intel Core i7 however, I have always used tweaks and had quite good performance. That said, I have just found this AVSim tweaking guide and as you say, no tweaks are advised. 
I will run both to see what results I get. 

As Steves fix builds tweaks into the fsx config, do you advise deleting the config after using his DX10 fixer and then running or is it best to keep these in? 

6 minutes ago, jonfo said:

As Steves fix builds tweaks into the fsx config, do you advise deleting the config after using his DX10 fixer and then running or is it best to keep these in? 

What tweaks does he employ?  His fixer 'fixes' the bad Microsoft programming they did for DX10 Preview. Along the way Steve found many other fixes.  It fixes clouds, rain, water, and lighting issues too but I do not know of any performance tweaks.  Perhaps you are talking about his setting for DX10 AA where you can have 8x CSAA?  That can be accomplished with NI too.  I have never liked tweaks and I think now that we fully understand things like "Virtual Address Space" and running out of that and getting "Out of Memory" or other errors, we all thought we needed tweaks to fix that.  We learned that using the NI to "tweak" our graphics was the best thing but it is not necessary for 64 bit games like P3DV4 or X-Plane. With NI we were able to fix shimmering and other minor anomalies that took away much of our enjoyment of flight simulation.  FSX is a very old program that now can use a processor that is at least 10 times better than the one they used to build FSX/Acceleration.  Tweaks work well for some if properly employed but every system is different and everyone has different setups and addons.  With the default FSX, I can get over 300 fps sitting on the runway at Las Vegas.  When I start adding payware, the fps drop dramatically and I can only get 40-50 fps at the same location at Las Vegas.  You cannot fix that with a tweak other than a more powerful system and you have to be especially careful now as FSX will run out of virtual address space fast (Microsoft only gave you 4 GB's with Windows) when you install many addons and have a fast processor.  It just renders the graphics much faster resulting in eating up the large, eye-candy textures and the virtual address space.  For the most enjoyment in flight simulation, you should seriously consider a 64 bit game like P3Dv4 or X-Plane.  I believe this is the future.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for this - makes a lot of sense. 

I have made the necessary changes in the NI now and think I am all up and running.