Sign in to follow this  
williebarry1

LatinVFR Baltimore Terrain/ Ground Issue

See if this file is installed in your BWI folder:

KBWI_ADEP4_RGM_CVX.bgl

This file contains the airport background flatten polygons which establishes the airport elevation and and the exclusion polygon that eliminates autogen, etc. from displaying within the airport. Also check that you don't have another 3rd party version of KBWI installed. Lastly, make sure that your third-party airports are the highest priority in your scenery library. LatinVFR KBWI has various flattened elevations within the airport proper.

Edited by jabloomf1230

I'm also having this issue.  At first I thought it was supposed to be that way?  Maybe it's a conflict with the ORBX LC USA that i can't solve.

There is nothing wrong here.  BWI sits on rolling hilly terrain and there are parts of the airport where the surrounding terrain is lower and others where it is higher.  The Southeast corner where rwy 28 happens to have terrain lower, the landing elevation for 28 is 126 ft comp;ared to 139 ft for rwy 10.  Adjacent rwy 33R near the rwy 28 end has a landing elevation of 114!  This scenery has realistic terrain, too bad P3D still uses flat runways.  You are used to default airports where the entire airport background is flattened (the above reference to the CVX file) but developers are getting better.  Look at KDEN and you'll see hills in between runways... it's great.

Dan Downs KCRP

7 hours ago, williebarry1 said:

Hi there; think I will do the same thing; would you mind directing me to the freeware file? It appears much improved to me judging from your last shots here.

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Simon

The airport has custom mesh. This is what I see with a setting of 2 in p3d v4.

XsotTVu.jpg

FpV83uh.jpg

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

20 hours ago, williebarry1 said:

As other have posted, it is designed this way with custom mesh.  The airport is like this IRL....although some of the drop-offs are a bit exaggerated probably due to the mesh limitations in sim.  Most airports are not flat like they appear in the sim all the time. I'm surprised you want to switch to a freeware version over this rendition as think they did a great job on it.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

It's actually designed not only with a custom mesh but as I pointed out, it also utilizes multiple airport background polygons of differing AMSL, to provide realistic flat spots in the terrain mesh.  Most airports just have one airport background polygon that flattens the terrain at the same AMSL as both the runways and aprons and also eliminates landclass autogen.

14 hours ago, williebarry1 said:

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=196609 says its for P3D V3 but it works for P3D V4. Just read the instructions. Also put the Soarfly folder underneath the KBWI folder in the sim. In the readme I only did the first two steps the others are optional.

Cheers.

Simon

Simon

Just bought the airport. Looks really good. Is everyone just ignoring what others have said about the elevation changes being there IRL?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

22 hours ago, threegreen said:

Just bought the airport. Looks really good. Is everyone just ignoring what others have said about the elevation changes being there IRL?

I like that the airport is not an artificial flat field... and I can ignore that maybe the slopes of the gullys are steeper than actual, which i think is due more to the artificially flat runways than errors in terrain mesh.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP