Sign in to follow this  
fluffyflops

who stole the plane

just had this come into our mail box at work...

493bf6d30f1a4b0c9574d88289563277.ashx

United States: Washington: Anticipate disruption in, around Seattle-Tacoma International Airport amid aircraft incident

OVERVIEW  

severity2.png

Level:

Advisory

aeaadd12b49847c5ba1e5b76ec8c0ae1.ashx

Seattle - United States

71e6fdb2b1444b9abef92ff017c72435.ashx

Category:

Airport disruption, Airline disruption, Airspace disruption

Last Updated: 11 Aug 2018 04:32 (GMT)

Members in Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (Washington state) and nearby areas should anticipate disruption amid reports of an employee taking a stolen aircraft on an unauthorised flight around the facility. Early reports indicate that a Horizon Air staff member has taken control of an empty aircraft; he reportedly does not know how to land the plane. The airspace above the Greater Seattle area has been cleared.

ADVICE  

• Anticipate disruption and exercise caution in and around Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. 
  • Monitor our alerts for further developments.

ASSISTANCE  

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

listen live at live atc seattle

ZORAN

Audio,

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

4 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

...how the heck do you steal a Q400?

Indeed!  A number of folks are gonna have some splainin' to do!

Greg

Our news was saying he is an Airline Mechanic, if true that would explain how he had access 

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

It was a Horizon Air employee according to their COO, not sure if he was a mechanic or ramper.  Sadly this probably means yet more regulation.  Our local news folks are wondering why airliners don't require keys as if that would have prevented this 🙄.

Brian W

KPAE

My best friend and fellow pilot did this 45 years ago. Stole a plane from our training school (tobago) and buzzed the house of his girlfriend located right next to bankstown airport after she stopped the affair ( she was married)

He then dove the plane straight into the ground at the airport. When i got there there it was only smoldering melted plastic. lucky he didn't kill anyone . His twin brother a few months later tried to do the same thing . Got a plane started but best he could do was ram it into a hanger

Edited by zmak

ZORAN

It popped up as we where doing the lhr to sea vs105 flightplan. In all my years never had that as a notam or advisory! What a nutter! 

14ppkc-6.png

Nutter alright. There will be another knee jerk reaction, hope he didn't have the Majestic Q400 on his PC, they will get the blame.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Heres a long interaction with ATC.  Some key quotes in there.  "I've played some games" and was inquiring about getting some pressurization going so he didn't feel so light headed.  It would explain some of the mental thought processes he was having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=133&v=-GzroZxwhJg

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Our local news folks are wondering why airliners don't require keys as if that would have prevented this 🙄.

It’s always a hoot listening to people who don’t know a thing about aviation try to report on it. Sometime they can’t even report the correct model of plane that they are reporting on or the type. I’ve seen them refer to twin engine props as small business jets, lol. The two NORAD F-15 that gave chase will probably be reported as some other jet.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, ZKOKQ said:

Nutter alright. There will be another knee jerk reaction, hope he didn't have the Majestic Q400 on his PC, they will get the blame.

I doubt it. It’s possible, but he was a worker at the airport with access. He managed to get up in the air and that’s surprising in a Dash, however he didn’t seem very knowledgeable. Chimes in the background and very poor understanding of the overall systems. A half-way decent majestic sim user could at least get things stable a little more. 

His discussions sound like it was purely a suicidal run. The last big hoorah at the expense of Alaska Airlines and lots of other’s safety.  

My dad one told me about a pilot who stole an A10 out of a military base he was stationed once. I guess the guy ran into a mountain. I mean to look into the story but keep forgetting. 

ETA: sounds like he did have a limited knowledge of the Dash. Said he knew where the panel was for pressurization. I still think he had a poor understanding of the various systems and how to operate it. Not that owning the Dash makes you a pilot but I heard he didn’t know the AP or FMC really at all. Probably thought about pulling this stunt to commit suicide and bough the Dash just to familiarize himself enough to get airborne. Idk. Sad 

Edited by Orlaam

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I guess the guy ran into a mountain

Gold Dust Peak, a thirteener in the Mt Holly Cross Wilderness in Colorado.

Q400 audio's are stunning.   "Nose down and call it a night"

Eric Anderson