Sign in to follow this  
fluffyflops

who stole the plane

Probably a ramper rather than a mechanic. If he was a mechanic, he would have knowledge of how to operate and repair the systems of the aircraft. Or at least you would hope that a mechanic should.

1 hour ago, KevinAu said:

Probably a ramper rather than a mechanic. If he was a mechanic, he would have knowledge of how to operate and repair the systems of the aircraft. Or at least you would hope that a mechanic should.

One of belynz subscribers... Joke calm down! 

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

It’s always a hoot listening to people who don’t know a thing about aviation try to report on it. Sometime they can’t even report the correct model of plane that they are reporting on or the type. I’ve seen them refer to twin engine props as small business jets, lol. The two NORAD F-15 that gave chase will probably be reported as some other jet.

I Know I love it when the daily mail use a file photo of  G-VSUN A343 or a 747 at Heathrow for us.

Or one of the old 737s for a file pic for easyjet. 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

46 minutes ago, tooting said:

One of belynz subscribers... Joke calm down! 

I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with what a belynz subsriber is.

edit. googled it. Didn’t even know that was even a thing.

Edited by KevinAu

What a crazy way to go, glad no one else was hurt. 

Police has now confirmed a few details about the "pilot", he was a baggage handler apparently, not a mechanic, without former piloting experience.

His "video game" reference is particularly interesting. As a Turboprop, getting the Q400 from cold and dark to airborne is a bit more complex than, say, an A320/B737. I doubt anyone could achieve that without practising on a certain study level Q400 addon.

But would a rather serious simmer use the term "video game"? That sounds more like he got his experience from GTA (which would also explain why he decided to steal a passenger plane in first place...)

My favourite quote from the atc recordings:

(Rich asking the Q400 pilot who was offering advice on the radio)

"Hey Pilot-Guy? Can this thing do a....a backflip-thingy?"

Edited by Woozie

1st thing that came to mind as well if he is any sort of simmer. He doesnt have to be a serious simmer to just have FSX/P3D or XP on his PC with any aircraft on it let alone the M-Q400. All it would take is one incident like this to drum up a debate on how regular consumers can have so much access to knowledge on aircraft and have it slapped with heavy regulation.  Think that kind of discussion started with MH370 and the 777. Fortunately it petered out. 

Sounds like he was a little high on something taking his joyride. But refusing to land because he would be jailed for life, surely indicated he knew what he was doing with consequences.  Lets just be glad he didnt crash into people. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

8 hours ago, BrianW said:

It was a Horizon Air employee according to their COO, not sure if he was a mechanic or ramper.  Sadly this probably means yet more regulation.  Our local news folks are wondering why airliners don't require keys as if that would have prevented this 🙄.

If it turns out he had FSX, P3D, or X-Plane and perhaps a certain high-fidelity Q-400 add on aircraft, yep, it's a possibility. ☹️

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

20 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

1st thing that came to mind as well if he is any sort of simmer. He doesnt have to be a serious simmer to just have FSX/P3D or XP on his PC with any aircraft on it let alone the M-Q400. All it would take is one incident like this to drum up a debate on how regular consumers can have so much access to knowledge on aircraft and have it slapped with heavy regulation.  Think that kind of discussion started with MH370 and the 777. Fortunately it petered out. 

A similar debate comes up after nearly every school shooting (which sadly happens a lot more often than stolen planes) and there's still no regulation on certain game genres. I'm sure some journalists will try to create a story out of this, but FSB & Co will rather focus on other things to be improved in order to prevent this from ever happening again. 

Things like required PIN/Password entry in FMC before any critical systems can be operated, or regular mental health checks for personnel with apron/secure area access.   

Edited by Woozie

This is probably the second or third attempt by an airline ground employee to steal a plane from a hangar area recently. The first successful one though. Easiest response should be to increase security and restrict access to the aircraft in these areas. When planes are parked out there and unattended, they should be rendered immovable by parking them in a manner that requires assistance to move. And if there is unauthorized aircraft movement, atc should have procedures to call on operations and airport law enforcement to immediately block the runways, instead of looking on dumbfounded.

Edited by KevinAu

Here's how it unfolded, including ground ATC

Imagine if this guy had evil intent, of the 9/11 variety.  That a ramp rat could jump in, start up and take off unchallenged is a real security problem.

It boggles my mind to think that after the destructive power of an airplane flown by a suicide jockey was demonstrated on the WTC towers, there still isn't even a rudimentary locking device on most parked transport-category aircraft.  Really, how hard would it be to put a simple steel boot over the yoke or the steering tiller and lock it?  Theft of an airplane is a low-probability event, but it carries HUGE potential liability if it happens.  If that plane had been crashed into a building Horizon would be looking at a multi-billion dollar lawsuit...as it is, they're gonna be replacing a $32 million plane. 

Argh

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hopefully the FAA re-think their security ... this is the computer equivalent of giving everyone at the airport "Run as Admin" rights.  This would be extremely serious if the "user" flew into say a large sky scrapper and I'm sure it has perked up the ears of those extremist (internal and external to the US) on just how easy it was to steal an aircraft. 

So I do hope the FAA take a more serious look at this as a LOT more than one person could have been killed, hence the military scramble.

Rob

I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that this guy could have taken a Q400 from cold and Dark to airborne flying straight and level unless he was well practiced at using the Majestic Q400 in either FSX or P3D. Or perhaps the X-plane Q400. He might have used AFS2 but I doubt it. Its not a matter of if. its a matter of which one he used. If he really started it up from cold and dark its gonna be either FSX, P3D or X-plane. Once he is identified I wouldn't be surprised if we know him, if you know what I mean! The only reason I am posting is so everyone knows it wasn't me 🙂

Edit: Well looking at the roll he did in the video I would say that there is fare more to this guys flying credentials than he is letting on.

Edited by Guest