Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Pan Am TV show?

I never knew this existed. What this series any good?

I'm trying to find a streaming service where I can view these old episodes for free.

I purchased the whole series a while ago.  I still have some left to watch.

It was good, but more like a daytime soap than what it should have been.

I really looked forward to it when it was announced but I was a little disappointed in the plots. As Robert stated, a little too much soap opera and not enough material regarding airline operations in those days. I thought it was OK and like it for the memories it brought back of my flights on the Pan Am 707s in my youth. For someone who is not a plane nut I don't think it offered much and is probably why it didn't last long.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I liked the first episode, the look and feel of it was amazing at capturing that time, but it was the plot that lost me

Matthew Kane

The series rings a bell, do not remember if I ever watched it.  Flew Pan Am just once in my life, from Caracas Venezuela to JFK.  It was an Airbus A310 or A300, first and only time ever on an Airbus widebody,  Nice ride I remember.  Miss Pan Am, I remember their launch of the Boeing 747.

John

I enjoyed the series, mostly for the topic. (And the eye candy - for both the guys and gals - was a plus). But as others said above, it was a bit too much soap opera. I would've preferred to see some of the plots (such as the espionage angle) fleshed out a bit more. The only other part which was hard for me to get past, was the youth of Pan Am's superstar pilot who got all the good routes. He was only in his early thirties, at most, yet he was assigned the most senior-level routes. Other than that, the show was fun.

My one best Pan Am story: I can't remember if I ever flew Pan Am, but they were one of the clients of an advertising outfit in Miami I was working for, as a photographer. One day I got an assignment to go out to KMIA and photograph one of their planes at their hangar.

They were deciding on a new livery, and had a 747 painted with one livery color scheme on one side, and a different one on the other side. I was supposed to photograph each side so the higher-ups could decide. This was before Photoshop and digital photography, remember. For a major decision like this, a company would go ahead and try different full-scale paint jobs and see what they looked like in daylight, and couldn't just pre-visualize it on a computer.

It was a fun job, because I got to direct the tow crew on how to position the aircraft for best lighting and move it around. Biggest "prop" I ever photographed in my career as an editorial/advertising photographer back in the chemical film days. And more than a little nerve-wracking, because this is the kind of job where you don't want to have to come back to the client and say... uh, I didn't get that, can we do it again? 🙂

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

It would seem this article explains it...

Robbie — who played Laura, a new flight attendant who had left her fiance at the altar — explains that the show suffered from an affliction we like to call Early Ratings Panic.

“As soon as it went on-air, they were like, ‘No, we didn’t get the ratings we want — let’s get a whole new crew of writers and make it more like ‘Housewives,'” Robbie said. “And you’re like, ‘What? That’s so not what the show was going to be.’”

In other words, ABC may have been looking for another hit to replace the aging “Desperate Housewives,” the long-running drama series that would end in May 2012. Ultimately, Robbie implies, the quick change-up in direction tanked the show.

“After the fifth episode, you see this abrupt change in content. If they’re rehiring writers, it’s obviously not doing well,” Robbie said.

Around late November 2011, cast member Karine Vanasse tweeted about filming one more episode of the show, and many interpreted that meant the series canceled — ABC denied this and said it was still “in contention” for a Season 2 pickup. Yet after a few more episodes aired in winter 2012 (averaging around 7 million people a week including DVR), the show was never to be seen again.

I worked for PAA. I watched part of one episode and I thought it was stupid!

My wife is a FA. We watched all the episodes. We both agreed, time of our lives we will never get back. My personal opinion. You’re results may vary.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

I believe those same gorgeous flight attendants  are still there working  not yet retired. They are using those carts as their walkers! Tsk Tsk.. OK I stole that joke.. it is not my original! Sue me! :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter