Sign in to follow this  
Guest vegasflyboy2004

AI Traffic

I have a lot of AI Traffic and it is now looking as if it affects my FPS. Without reducing the amount of traffic I have is there any way I can stop it affecting the FPS. I know it is a probable naive question but if there is a way I would like to know.Simon

Without reducing the amount of traffic I have is there any way I can stop it affecting the FPS.No.Every thing you add to FS impacts FPS in a negative manner - AI aircraft, scenery, flyable aircraft, etc.The goal is to effectively manage the various impacts and still leave the FS world flyable.Which is more important - 3D clouds or AI - is a decision many people have to make - and turning down 3D clouds or turning them off completely is often the answer.Are your scenery sliders maxed out?The predefined display settings have less impact than any custom setting in my experience.Finally, the AI % slider will not reduce the precentage of AI traffic. It reduces/ eliminates those flights in AI flight plan files set to a higher percentage than your setting.It has become very prevalent among AI flight planers to set all flights to 1% in the flight plan file - which means that lowering AI slider to anything higher than 1% has no impact.

Obviously the amount of traffic you have has an impact on frame rates, but also the models you are using for the aircraft.The best looking and most frame-rate efficient AI planes are usually said to come from Aardvarkhttp://www.ai-aardvark.com/and Evolvehttp://www.evolveai.com

ngxu_banner.png

Thanks for that. I have a hotch potch of aircraft. I also wondered if I changed the flightplans to show 1% and then the sim settings to 2% whether that would make a difference. Anyway thanks for the prompt reply.Simon

The AI flightplans set a percent threshold. If your slider is set for that percent, then those AI at that threshold or below will be rendered.

Guest 727Fan

Yeah ditto to what everybody else has said.Keep your AI majority to AI designed. Their processor requirements are very small relative to any flyable you use as AI.Use Aardvark, PAI, FSPainter, Evolve AI for commercial types.Use the TomkiewiczWaldron designed aircraft for military andgeneral aviation types.Use Fernando Martinez's aircraft. He has several commercial typesand military jets.Mehlin Rainer has a nice MiG21.Samborsky has some nice Russian types.CDAI has some military and commerical types too.I'd suggest you experiment with each one, see which ones work bestwith your system, and/or look the best.I once was an AI freak. Big airports had to have action all thetime. Now I'm more reserved, rather selecting a proportional amountof AI for a given airport. Other than what's been said, the only other answer is faster hardware.Rick

>I have a lot of AI Traffic and it is now looking as if it>affects my FPS. Without reducing the amount of traffic I >have is there any way I can stop it affecting the FPS. I know>it is a probable naive question but if there is a way I would>like to know.>>Simon I think we all suffer from this problem - more AI = greater realism = reduced fps !!!Personally, i do like to see a full complement of AI which does indeed, reduce fps. However, for me, the only time that the performance hit is serious is on short finals. So what i do is disable the AI prior to glideslope capture, then re-enable after pulling off the runway.If you purchase a copy of FSUIPC, then you can assign a simple key combination to do this.Only downside is that you your AI has to "restart" itself and you obviously, don't see any aircraft at holding points etc.Gary

Guest vegasflyboy2004

Not only is it bad for your framerates, but also your personal life once you become an "AI addict" such as myself! I don't even want to think about how many hours I spend adding flightplans and paints.