Sign in to follow this  
Guest jboweruk

For the first time in over 2 years

Guest jboweruk

I've lost interest in FS, today has brought me to a point where I HATE my computer. FS used to be fun, but the last couple of weeks it's not anymore, it's been crash after lockup after crash. I had three flights planned for today, I started at 5:30 PM when the sun had gone off enough to fly with TrackIR, it's now 10:33 and I have done exactly... NONE. Why? Because all FS has done all day is lock up, tonight it finally crashed out altogether, and tried to hang onto control of my PC till I just switched it off. And the worse thing is I can't nail down what's wrong. I may just give up on flying and go back to an older love of mine, NASCAR, or my trucks. NASCAR RacingI don't need that crap, not right now, I'm nursing a broken heart and FS was all I've got to keep me from getting really depressed, now it seems that too is out to spoil everything.I don't think I can face a full reinstall of all 90Gb of it, let alone Windows as well. #### shame really, I just bought the PMDG 747 and Freighter add-on for it. :(If you don't see me round the forums it's because I've decided on a break. Possibly till FSX comes out.

Ouch John you don't feel well! I wonder what the heck is wrong. No one should be going thru this sort of thing with FS9. Maybe cough up some dough and about 4h and contact Michael Greenblatt to walk you thru a full system fix. Sounds like you have several things awry and I feel your pain.Hang in there dude,Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest Trans_601

John,I'd suggest a re-install. It may be a pain in the back but it will clear out all your junk and FS will run faster. Slowly re-install your add-ons as you see fit.Good luck and all the best!

"I'm nursing a broken heart and FS was all I've got"I feel your pain, been there done that....You don't have to blow everything away with a complete reinstall to find your problem. This is what you need to do. 1. Rename the FS folder to whatever you like.2. Reinstall a fresh version of FS. 3. You now have two folders with FS data. One live and the other is your renamed folder.4. You can gradually move folder/files from the old folder to the new one. Textures files would be the cause of your problem. Files located in the root directory and 'Modules' folder are the ones to watch out for. When you get to those areas it

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Sometimes, its back to basics. I had to do this too about 6 weeks ago. Lost 3 years of tweaking. nevertheless, it also is great for your system. Cleaning out and reinstalling JUST what you need. Its a complicated task because you probably should write down what you want vs what you "need"...and start with the needs first. I suspect your system will run faster and you might not need all the crap you loaded previously.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

One thing that many people overlook is heat. What kind of computer do you have - a desktop or a laptop? It may need a cleaning of the cooling fans, or spending a few bucks on a laptop cooler.I got a brand-spanking-new Dell laptop with a docking station and monitor. Worked fine until I started playing games (Flightsim, Jedi Knight, Falcon 4.0/Allied Force, it didn't matter). I finally realized that the graphics card was locking up due to heat.

Hey John,I'm awfully sorry to hear you are heartbroken and seemingly depressed. Isn't it great, though, we can come to the flight sim community to find friendship and acceptance! We don't know each other but we feel like we can open up a little and express some things that, otherwise would probably get bottled up. Everyone has their own opinions as to what to do, of course. I go to the Lord with mine. He always helps me feel better. Usually He does this by helping me realize all the things I have to be thankful for. Sudenly, things don't seem so bad then. I have gone through some scary and serious health issues resulting in a lung transplant. I was only out of commission 30 days! It has been 3 years since the operation and the recovery was nothing short of miraculous! I haven't been so healthy in over 12 years! He did that. I pray you'll find peace with whatever is getting you down. Something tells me, after you find that peace, you may find what is wrong with FS.Perhaps you should get a pet... a dog or cat, maybe. .....or... not.:-)God bless,Earl

Same here, takin a break at least until FSX comes out.I got tired of performance issues dispite having a super computer.The cost of add-ons, and all the liscence keys.I too have gone back to Nascar on the pc.I'm also enjoying Over G Fighters on the xbox 360. Smoooth as silk !I don't think any sim out there, does a roll down the runway any better. The aircraft carrier takeoff and landings are great too.Missles are a bonus ! :-)aquafx

Guest panda234

I'd do a reinstall. Trying to trouble shoot and restart and reboot all the time can really drag out. Once you get going on the reinstall it's not as bad as you think. You'll get most of it the first time, then think of something that you forgot and put that in. If you don't have it, download a new one. Only a few vendors charge for downloading again and when they do it's not much. Then, once it's done, it runs amazingly faster, or at least in my case it did, and there is a real satisfaction knowing that all the junk is off and you have a clean install with only what you want installed. It's like a fresh start, breathes some new life into your flying. I'd go so far as to an o/s install and really start fresh. It would be a good project. Keep your mind really busy for a day, and instead of just drowning your sorrows with fs9 it'll run so great you'll be happy she isn't there bugging you. billg

Hi JohnHang in there bud. Maybe take a few days off and go fishing or anything that is different and away from the computer. Then I would do as one poster already suggested and that is to rename your flightsim folder then do a brand new installation and slowly move stuff across from your renamed old flightsim folder.You could do some computer checks too such as graphics card temperature as was already mentioned, has there been any overclocking done in the bios, this can also cause lockups in FS9.Some ideas there I hope may help. But I think the most important one is to do some thing different and away from the computer for a few days.Regards Pete

Oops Typo..."Textures files would be the cause of your problem."I ment to say, "Texture files wouldn't be the cause of your problem so that folder along with the scenery folder you can move without any testing"... I hope that makes since. What causes CTD's is most likely a '.dll' or Module file somewhere... Concentrate on the root (root folder of FS that is) and 'Module' folder as your problem will most likely be found in one of those files... :-)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

for the record, I was turned off by FS, mainly because of framerate issues, but also because of the crashing. I could not complete a flight with either the level-d or pmdg queen. its unfortunate

I'm currently in a similar situation. After one total crash I re-installed and tuned for approx. 1 month when the 2nd crash occurred (OO defrag ruined my RAID in both cases, but I needed this 2nd event to find out the cause of the crashes).Now, I slowly re-install the absolute minimum - most of the things I had before I use so rarely that I'm gonna leave this out.In addition, I discovered a big interest in DTP, so I'm playing with InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator (oh, and GoLive is waiting for me too, as are the 2 new custom made PCs for my daughters that I need to assemble and setup as well...).Currently, all I have is WinXP Pro and FS9.1 with some tweaks, GE Pro, AS6, FE, UT USA/Can/Eur, WheatherMaker, 19/38/72m Mesh for America and Europe, FlyTampa KSEA, KSFO, KMDW, LOWW and Boston, and the Lago Maddog with the latest patches.I plan to install the PMDG 737NG soon, but that's all for the moment.I spend little time actually flying at the moment 'cause I mainly need to tune and install.But the "big time" in FS is over for me as well. But, it doesn't matter, FS is still my favourite, and I enjoy every single minute with it, though the great enthusiasm is over, I suppose.Andreas

>I'd do a reinstall. Trying to trouble shoot and restart and>reboot all the time can really drag out. Once you get going on>the reinstall it's not as bad as you think. You'll get most of>it the first time, then think of something that you forgot and>put that in. If you don't have it, download a new one. Only a>few vendors charge for downloading again and when they do it's>not much. Then, once it's done, it runs amazingly faster, or>at least in my case it did, and there is a real satisfaction>knowing that all the junk is off and you have a clean install>with only what you want installed. It's like a fresh start,>breathes some new life into your flying. I'd go so far as to>an o/s install and really start fresh. It would be a good>project. Keep your mind really busy for a day, and instead of>just drowning your sorrows with fs9 it'll run so great you'll>be happy she isn't there bugging you. >>billg>I strongly caution against doing a reinstall until you determine if the problem is hardware or software. A quick check of the event log will tell if the problem is in Flightsim or with another software module. If the error indicates anything other than Flightsim, then checking out what caused the error needs to be done.Flightsim could be crashing because of something else. If you simply do a reinstall of FS, now you've wasted all that time and maybe haven't fixed the problem.Look at what you last installed and whether FS worked before that - if so, deinstall only that add-on.Run a virus scan, run a spam/spy/malware scan. Defrag the harddrive and run diagnostics to eliminate any potential sources of problems.Try playing other video games that are heavily taxing on the CPU and GPU. If they crash too, then most likely you've got heat problems.Having done all that, reboot and check the bios and POST diagnostics - you could have some memory going bad or a faulty fan. If the fan speeds are slow, take the cover off and dust out the inside.ANYTHING but doing a reinstall before its time to do one.I can remember the last computer I had was acting up. I reinstalled everything (from the OS on up) and still had problems. I ended up getting a new mainboard and *still* had problems. Turns out I didn't do my homework and only needed to buy a replacement power supply as the current one wasn't properly regulating things and when doing something that drew a lot of power, the P/S would crap out.

I do image backups every couple of weeks.My computer is a homebrew in a mid-tower case. I have four hard drive nests with five 80 GB drives mounted in cartridges.Drive 1 has various partitions including my FS partition. Drive 2 is an additional drive for scenery not on drive 1 (FSGlobal 2005 right now).Every couple of weeks I boot of a floppy that loads utilities. Drive 1 remains in and I pull the drive in 2 out and put in a spare. In about 90 minutes Drive 1 is images track for track, bit for bit, virus for virus :) onto the spare. It takes about ninety minutes.This gives me the option of going back to a "previous" drive 1. If drive 1 fails I also can put in the drive 1 copy and boot from it. The utility I have allows me to keep the same volume ID which takes care of some copy protection schemes.Drive 2 doesn't require backup since I can reinstall from CD or DVD the material on it.I image drive 1 especially after much tweaking and after installing downloaded copy protected software. I also keep a floppy of any software license keys and instructions.That ninety minutes occasionally is time well spent (I do other things) against a re-install of everything and retweaking.