Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

New hardware processor for p3d

Hi. 

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop for p3d because my current one does not do the frame rates very well. I have been told in the past that the most important thing to think about for p3d is the CPU speed, rather than the graphics card . can I ask if that is correct? I have seen a new laptop which looks good, but I would really like people's opinion on it:

• CPU (Processor): Intel® Core™ i7-8700 - 6-Core 3.20GHz, 4.60GHz Turbo - 12MB Cache + UHD Graphics
  • Motherboard: Intel Z370 Chipset Motherboard
  • Memory (RAM): 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/2400Mhz SODIMM Memory (ADATA)
  • Graphics Card (GPU): NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (Pascal)[VR Ready]

Can you let me know what you think? I believe the fact that the processor speed is 4.6GHz is very important for the frame rates, but let me know if I'm wrong. I was told when Microsoft originally wrote this, they did it pretty much on a single thread, and mainly not passing much off to the graphics card. 

Thanks, Gaz

Edited by Gary McCluskey
Bad typing required update

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Those are amazing specs for a laptop.. I hope their cooling solution allows you to run at those speeds..

If yes, you are good to go  :smile:

Bert

16 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If yes, you are good to go

Unfortunately I have to get a laptop, I'm not able to have a desktop or tower. But does that matter in the case of these specs? Could you actually get better specs for a desktop? 

Thanks, Gaz

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

9 minutes ago, Gary McCluskey said:

Unfortunately I have to get a laptop, I'm not able to have a desktop or tower. But does that matter in the case of these specs? Could you actually get better specs for a desktop? 

Thanks, Gaz

In a desktop, you would likely choose the 8700K CPU and a 1080 with more memory, or a 1080ti..

Given that you can cool everything better in a quality tower case, you can get more performance.

Heat is your biggest enemy..

Bert

Yeah, my current laptop is nowhere near as good as these, and even it gets red hot! 

The CPU you just mentioned there looks like the same one I mentioned in my original post. Is it the same one? 

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

56 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

No, the "K" version is unlocked and can be clocked higher..

Thanks mate. Well in the end, I bought the following :

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8086K - 6-Core 4.00GHz, 5.00GHz Turbo - 12MB Cache + UHD Graphics *** Extreme OC *** [+96]
  • VIDEO: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB Video Card - 1518 MHz OC (Pascal)
  • MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/2400Mhz SODIMM Memory [+36] (Corsair Vengeance)

I reckon its going to be better than my current machine - I just have to wait for delivery! What do you think of it? 

Gaz on Facebook

8086k in a laptop?  

1) who makes this thing?

2) do you live in Antarctica?

2a) if not, have you considered moving there? you're going to want to when you feel the heat this laptop pumps out

• Like 1