Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Converting non-AI aircraft to operate as AI?

I have a nice collection of B787's that would be really nice as AI aircraft IF they would work. I'm not sure of the differences between the two and what I would need to change. Any ideas?Thanks

Guest garwig2

Most flyable planes work fine as AI, have you tried to add them as AI already (using Traffic Tools)? Only drawback is that the level of detail in flyable planes will use a lot of resources so might cause a drop in framerates.-Gary Letona

>Most flyable planes work fine as AI, have you tried to add>them as AI already (using Traffic Tools)? Only drawback is>that the level of detail in flyable planes will use a lot of>resources so might cause a drop in framerates.>>-Gary LetonaI haven't taken the step to add one yet but tomorrow I will and I'll follow it from London Heathrow to Montreal in my A340 to see how it behaves. I wasn't sure if adding a plane not designed for AI would cause any complications. Thanks for the info!

>I have a nice collection of B787's that would be really nice>as AI aircraft IF they would work. I'm not sure of the>differences between the two and what I would need to change. >Any ideas?>ThanksJust beware, Aircraft made for AI has less detail and polygons than non-AI aircraft, so depending on how detailed the non-AI aircraft to are planning to use and the amount you may have an impact on system performance which may be quite significant. Especially if you use a AI package like UT or Mytraffic.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

copy that. I'm just going to try one for now. Since no one has designed any 787's yet for AI, I just wanted to throw a few out there as a preview of things to come. I'll let you know how things go when I get to Montreal.

Guest 727Fan

Another aspect to watch for when using a flyable design as an AIAC.Beware the haunted aircraft. When using non-AI as AI, some very bizarre behavior can be exhibited.Such as:-Zooming down the runway on take-off, and not taking-off. They just disappear over the horizon still on the ground.-Sudden and dramatic altitude loss on landing, sometimes hitting theground and disappearing.-Not following the CAD generated paths aircraft follow while on theground.-Suddenly falling out of the virtual sky. I recall watching anOpensky B762 (in FS2K2, before FSP, AIA, and PAI arrived) fall outof the sky from at least 10,000' and disappear as it made contact.Very wierd, as well as disconcerting.-Sudden and dramatic attitude changes while in flight.Good Luck.You can always try using an airfile designed for an AI aircraftsimilar in design to the non-AI your trying to use as AI. Just move the non-AI file out of the airplane file; Copy the AI file to theairplane file; Change the sim= line in the aircraft cfg. file torelfect the new airfile name; Hope the changes make a difference.I've used Mike Stone's aircraft as AI using this techniquesuccesfully.Hope this helps.Rick

well, I used Camille Valiquette's B787 flyable model as a test from London Heathrow to Montreal. I flew with it. It stayed about 10 miles behind me and it seemed to behave quite well. I didn't notice much bite on frame rate either. I makes a beautiful landing. But I will changed the .air file with that of one of my long time AI 767 models and see how that goes. Thanks for the tip.

Speedbyrd:Check out this program, available here at AVSIM: ga-traffic_setup.zipOn the "Planes" tab, there is a button to convert any aircraft in the aircraft folder to AI. If I recall, you can adjust for a lower resolution. Very easy to use. I now have Aeroworx B200's, along with other payware aircraft, flying around.This is also a great program for generating lots of general aviation ai air traffic.Wilson

>Speedbyrd:>>Check out this program, available here at AVSIM: >ga-traffic_setup.zip>>On the "Planes" tab, there is a button to convert any aircraft>in the aircraft folder to AI. If I recall, you can adjust for>a lower resolution. Very easy to use. I now have Aeroworx>B200's, along with other payware aircraft, flying around.>>This is also a great program for generating lots of general>aviation ai air traffic.Keep in mind that this doesn't make it a true AI aircraft. A true AI only aircraft has LODs to help with performance, the Traffic generator cannot do this to the MDL.Aeroworx B200's?? you are a glutton for punishment when there are good AI models for the b200, LOL. A good rule of thumb, any aircaft that is used for AI and doesn't have LODs should have an MDL of under 1 mbRegards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/tfbeta.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi, Michael:Actually, the program has a check box that generates AI aircraft with textures of 1.5 MB or less. I have had no problems at all with the B200 on my system.May be time for you to upgrade from that Intel 8086 system ;-) In any case, all he will have to do is delete the aircraft if it reduces framerates too much. Might be worth trying, at least.Regards,Wilson

Hi Wilson, yep very familar with the program, use it quite a bit for my GA AI.Guess I'll have to see about upgrading my 4800+ SLI with dual 850XTs to get the most out of my AI, LOLGlad the B200 works for you, in theory and from personal experience it is to detailed for normal AI use.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/tfbeta.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

I'll give the program a try but doesn't it seem just as easy to follow the suggestion of another poster who suggested switching the .air file with that of another similar AI aircraft?I'm looking at using the .air file for my Aardvark 747F model to drive my A380. Whatcha guys think?

Michael:You have GOT to stay ahead of the hardware curve, man! Now I understand your performance problem!You will never get to FPS Nirvana at this rate.Wilson

Well the GA program doesn't seem to function for large aircraft. There are no comparable .air files to use for jumbos.I tried to get A380 made into an AI aircraft by using a 747 air file and it behaves ok except for the landing gear. There is no nose gear and the main gear seem extended all the time. So much for that idea.