Sign in to follow this  
darem

Limiting Framerate kills framerate - why?

If we enable HT and don't disable one of the LPs of the main core - that is the core with the main  sim thread - that second LP, perhaps at 20%, means that the other LP at 100% is only around 80%.

Although with HT enabled we gain maybe 6% when we do run two threads one on each LP since those two threads without HT occupy the same LP and the switching time doubles.

So this kills ultimate fps too - HT Enabled No AM reduces fps.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks Steve.

Yeah makes sense. I can confirm that with HT enabled without AM I did see lower FPS on my 1950X. Which is why I ran it without HT and without AM and got the best performance.

On the AMD 2990WX. I'm curious to see how it runs with HT enabled. And to get all 64 threads I calculated my AM # to be  :

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=‭‭4294967292‬

Pretty insane. On my 1950X without HT the number would have been 65535. But I saw no improvement with AM in the CFG on so I left it out.

I'm gonna try the 32 Core HT Enabled AM setting as above with my new CPU in V4 with 30fps limit and FFTF of 0.1 and see how it goes.

• Like 1

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

So silly question.  Is there a way to limit frames by not using the locked feature in the UI or using vsync?  Is nvidia inspector an option and if so does anyone know if this works with a VR headset?

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind a logical processor in my PC. In other words.....a processor that does the logical thing at all times so that I don't have to worry about all of this BS :laugh:

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

12 hours ago, AnkH said:

Rob clearly showed that when using either unlimited FPS or low FFTF value, autogen loading is hampered after some time and never recovers. The question is: does this also happen with the tool? Or is the switch to a higher FFTF value at whatever altitude sufficient to recover the autogen loading?

I installed the Dynamic FFTF product last night and did a quick test flight out of LIPZ with FSL A-320 (latest update) ... came up with some settings that seemed to work well ... good performance and no disappearing AG.  BUT, I really need to do more testing as this is subjective ... unfortunately my two other Test PCs are being used for "something else" so I can only test on my main FS PC.

Cheers, Rob.

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

so that I don't have to worry about all of this BS

If this is something that is worry worthy, then life is indeed treating you well 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

42 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

unfortunately my two other Test PCs are being used for "something else"

Rob, I'm getting a hint that something is "brewing" out there?? Now what could that be? 🤐

Edited by Peter Webber
Typo

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

1 hour ago, American 833 Heavy said:

Thanks Steve.

Yeah makes sense. I can confirm that with HT enabled without AM I did see lower FPS on my 1950X. Which is why I ran it without HT and without AM and got the best performance.

On the AMD 2990WX. I'm curious to see how it runs with HT enabled. And to get all 64 threads I calculated my AM # to be  :

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=‭‭4294967292‬

Pretty insane. On my 1950X without HT the number would have been 65535. But I saw no improvement with AM in the CFG on so I left it out.

I'm gonna try the 32 Core HT Enabled AM setting as above with my new CPU in V4 with 30fps limit and FFTF of 0.1 and see how it goes.

Remember that you only need enable enough LPs to load the scenario as fast as it can. If you enable more LPs and there's no significant increase in loading speed, you enabled too many.

Edited by SteveW

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I wouldn't mind a logical processor in my PC. In other words.....a processor that does the logical thing at all times so that I don't have to worry about all of this BS :laugh:

Good one.

However, I don't see anyone complaining about getting their head around the technicalities of aircraft or flying. So I don't understand those making complaints about understanding technicalities of PCs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

If this is something that is worry worthy, then life is indeed treating you well 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

You got that right. 🤣

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Are you going to update your P3D Wiki with your new settings for Com Day and Com Night? Curious to see what your graphic settings are now. Thank you

Eric 

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Remember that you only need enable enough LPs to load the scenario as fast as it can. If you enable more LPs and there's no significant increase in loading speed, you enabled too many.

Sounds good.

So after a brief test I locked 30 fps with the 30 fps limiter and used an eye candy Corporate Jet addon that is notoriously hard on FPS. That FFTF setting really did the trick with the aforementioned 64 thread AM setting. Think I'll stick with this new config as opposed to unlimited, no FFTF or AM.

I'll also have to play around with the AM and see how few threads I can get away with and still lock 30 fps.

But the thing with these AMD TR chips is they are primarily geared towards multithreading which is where they shine on CPU intensive tasks. On the 2990WX the single threaded performance is comparable to the 18 Core i9 7980XE, Multithreaded more than double the perf. But due to the architecture of the TR chips they split all that work across the cores. Its really 2 Ryzen CPUs fused into one so it may be beneficial to actually leave all the theads enabled on AM for me. On an i7/i9 its a different ball game. As both these top dog CPUs get the job done but get there in different ways.

Also I have always wondered is there a particular part of the P3D cfg that is ideal for placing the Job Sceduler header and the solo AM setting for it? I actually placed it this time right after the MAIN section. I have also put it at the very top and bottom of the cfg in the past when using it as well.

It seems to be working really well after that test so I'll just leave it after the MAIN section I guess....

Edited by American 833 Heavy
  • Like 1

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

5 hours ago, newtie said:

TextureMaxLoad=3

What about this?

I just removed the entry (which should have restored the default value of 6). This didn't modify the patchy autogen in any way but led to more stutter. Wherever I took TextureMaxLoad=3 from, it seems to be of benefit on my system. Others may vary of course.

Lowering AA does nothing essentially on my machine. That indicates I am clearly CPU bound - as I can confirm based on corresponding performance graphs.

Despite, thanks for having a look,

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I installed the Dynamic FFTF product last night and did a quick test flight out of LIPZ with FSL A-320 (latest update) ... came up with some settings that seemed to work well ... good performance and no disappearing AG.  BUT, I really need to do more testing as this is subjective ... unfortunately my two other Test PCs are being used for "something else" so I can only test on my main FS PC.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm testing this as well. I don't run nearly the settings that others do (I'm too busy flying the ac) but will add to the discussion when I have something of substance.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Rob

I want to make sure I understand something regarding FFTF and the Dynamic Tool which I use. Here’s the question:

Does the Dynamic FFTF tool work if you run Unlimited or must you set a frame limit for it to work?

I recall from previous posts FFTF settings in the config file seem to only work when not running unlimited.

Please advise, thanks in advance!

Joe

• Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2