Sign in to follow this  
SarahWSJ

Wall Street Journal & flight sim

Hey all, I'm a reporter for the WSJ and looking to reach flight-sim hobbyists who aren't pilots for an article asap. I can be reached at sarah(dot)needleman(at)wsj(dot)com. Thanks!

I moved this to a more appropriate forum and redid the email address.  She seems to be a legitimate reporter for the Wall Street Journal after I did a Google Search.

I also cranked out an email to her. I'm guessing she wants to find out if a flightsimmer can actually steal an aircraft and get it airborne.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hahha... flightsimmers of the world: unite!

Owners of the Majestic Q400 who have not recently carried out barrel rolls and low level manoeuvres over the Seattle area: sit over there.

Been wondering what would come of this...  Has anyone done a search here to see if he was ever here?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Yes, would be WSJ.com

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

23 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Been wondering what would come of this...  Has anyone done a search here to see if he was ever here?

I did.  There was a Richard Russell who submitted files to our AVSIM Library but his ReadMe indicates he lives in England.  Most members use an alias so impossible to know if he's a member.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just looking for some older threads on what your article is about!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Its quite simple really. Flight sim is like reading the manual of an aircraft and getting to know the aircraft... It's a tool. if you are dedicated you can read the start engine procedure from a training manual and start the plane and lift off and fly around. Simulators are another tool. Nothing more to it than that.   Just having the sim would not teach a person how to start the engine and fly.. you have to read manuals for sure.  Manuals and instructions are equally important as simulators. The fact he worked at the airport and ground managing this specific aircraft did more to his knowledge and confidence  than FSX or P3D Sim I would think

Edited by Manny
  • Like 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I can't wait to read what is bound to be a terrible, unflattering, negative article about our hobby.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Manny, would love to chat with you! 

DaveCT, why don't you tell me about the positives of your hobby? So far it sounds really neat and I had fun  checking out my neighbor's rig recently.  

13 minutes ago, Manny said:

Its quite simple really. Flight sim is like reading the manual of an aircraft and getting to know the aircraft... It's a tool. if you are dedicated you can read the start engine procedure from a training manual and start the plane and lift off and fly around. Simulators are another tool. Nothing more to it than that.   Just having the sim would not teach a person how to start the engine and fly.. you have to read manuals for sure.  Manuals and instructions are equally important as simulators. The fact he worked at the airport and ground managing this specific aircraft did more to his knowledge and confidence  than FSX or P3D Sim I would think

In addition to this, people investigating or reporting about the accident are missing the most important aspect of the history: How could a single person avoid all the security measures that should have been in place at the airport itself to be able to stole a plane and getting the clearance to fly it, considering that he was a mechanic and not a pilot. All this reminds me the history of a monkey who lost his lantern and never looked for the light.

And then you suddenly have a reporter who knows nothing about aviation, and wants to adquire information here, instead of going directly to ask to the airports officials. That's a crazy world, really!.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I'm a flight-sim enthusiast but I'm also a pilot.

Does that mean I'm out?

To be honest, if one is prepared to read a manual and one is reasonably intelligent, there is no issue with learning to start up and operate pretty much any machine. That's the internet for you; all the info is out there.

A more interesting and pertinent avenue of journalistic investigation would be to determine what might motivate someone to do such a thing in the first place, because frankly, that is the real issue, not the fact that the requisite info is out there. And in this case, we have a big clue from the ATC conversation, where the guy mentions being driven to it by the low wage and hopes his actions might get the gears turning on that issue. Frankly, the wages for ramp staff are appalling considering the level of responsibility one has when doing the job

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

I moved this to a more appropriate forum and redid the email address.  She seems to be a legitimate reporter for the Wall Street Journal after I did a Google Search.

I also cranked out an email to her. I'm guessing she wants to find out if a flightsimmer can actually steal an aircraft and get it airborne. 

They'll have to pry my joy stick out of my cold dead hands if they come for my sim.😬

• Like 1

Vic green