Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Speeding sim rate up/down

Hi

Quick question; is there a way of assigning a key to increase the sim rate, and then a key to decrease it. In my P3D it says R has been assigned, but my R doesn't do anything on its own - how do I get it to work?

Thanks. Gaz

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Use the same two  - or = keys that you use to zoom in and out while holding down the R key.

/Russell.

Be prepared for crazy things to happen especially using an ATC program. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Thanks - I'll give it a go. 

Gaz

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Can be problematic if you run the sim at faster than 4x speed, for example, don't expect the FMC on many flight sim aeroplanes - even high end ones - to manage following LNAV or VNAV especially well, especially on a SID or STAR or anywhere on a flight plan with turns greater than a few degrees. At high speed multiplication settings, the sim may also have to reload the flight briefly when you drop the time back down to normal. Some flight sim add-ons regard it as 'cheating' too and will penalise you for doing it, for example, Air Hauler does not like it when you skip time.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

53 minutes ago, Smoky942 said:

Use the same two  - or = keys that you use to zoom in and out while holding down the R key.

/Russell.

You don’t have to hold it down. Pressing it once is enough, unless you click using the mouse anywhere on the screen, you will have to press it again.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

5 hours ago, Chock said:

Can be problematic if you run the sim at faster than 4x

Thanks, good to know - i'll keep it in mind. 

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

On 8/14/2018 at 12:14 PM, nam1394 said:

You don’t have to hold it down...

Indeed... just press R (once), then use the +/- keys to adjust the rate.

When you mouseclick or keyboard select a different function, the +/- keys will revert either to their default actions, or the actions of what you selected.

Personally, I've mapped two buttons on my yoke to be sim rate +/- buttons. Makes for more convenient changes to the rate.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, Gary McCluskey said:

Thanks, good to know - i'll keep it in mind. 

Gaz

If you ever fly the PMDG 747 or 777 it has a time compression feature built in that you can use. The plane will automatically follow 2x, 4x, 8x or faster depending on which setting you select. However, it will slow down to regular speed for turns or turbulence. If you choose 8x or higher the scenery will reload every time it goes back to normal speed. 4x is a good choice to speed up but prevent scenery reloads. The feature is available in the FMC under auto time compression or auto cruise, can’t remember which one.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

11 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

If you ever fly the PMDG 747 or 777 it has a time compression feature built in that you can use. The plane will automatically follow 2x, 4x, 8x or faster depending on which setting you select. However, it will slow down to regular speed for turns or turbulence. If you choose 8x or higher the scenery will reload every time it goes back to normal speed. 4x is a good choice to speed up but prevent scenery reloads. The feature is available in the FMC under auto time compression or auto cruise, can’t remember which one.

To add to this if you use x8 you will also want to disable all road and boat traffic otherwise you will get reloading pauses.

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1

No-one has yet mentioned Lorby's 'Time Machine' program?
Never have to manually increase and remember to turn off time acceleration again!
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/521324-lorby-time-machine-released/

Fill in a flight plan for it to follow and with a few clicks you can choose the maximum time acceleration, at what distances from/to a waypoint to reduce/increase time acceleration to overfly it properly, how much track deviation is permitted, and automatic or manual start of acceleration.

For long-haul flights (in fact, any flights over an hour), the program is a god-send!

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Next they will have a compression program where the program starts your sim, fires up aircraft,  flies the aircraft, lands, taxis in and shuts down ,  and you don't even have to be there. 😉

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

10 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Next they will have a compression program where the program starts your sim, fires up aircraft,  flies the aircraft, lands, taxis in and shuts down ,  and you don't even have to be there. 😉

I get ya Bob.  Seems like a little something missing in the experience using the "cheater" feature, and yes I know not everyone will see it that way.  But a long flight, is just that - a long flight.  As it should be.  Almost as unrealistic as going into a time warp in what is supposed to be a "simulation", I choose to take, even on the big iron, to take on smaller (although real-world unrealistic) hops.  Doing so means a lot more time in the takeoff and landing modes, which is where all the action is located.  Crossing the Pacific is a little tough, but with some leg work I've kept flight times down by locating all the Islands and routes that I can that have 6,000 ft.+ runways (I'm a PDMG 737 flyer for the most part). 

I find it more rewarding to make short hops than "time-warping" somewhere new, and before I get jumped I completely understand what it is like to be pressed for time in what can be a very time consuming hobby.  I do enjoy the short flights though, and there have been times I've spent as much time setting up the flight/FMC/etc. than actually flying it, but for me that is where the enjoyment lies.

By the way, I have done a few long stretches monitoring the aircraft vitals via some of the many iPhone freeware utilities out there while watching TV....so I'm no saint.  I just pretend I'm the Captain and I'm back in the cabin area shaking hands, slapping backs, and kissing babies foreheads.

To each their own,

Mark

16 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

HI,

actually, there is. This may sound funny, but there are applications for this. In my case, I have been asked by a customer if I could make an addon where people who are physically or mentally incapable of flying even a simulated airplane could feel like they do. So the aircraft does everything on its own, from clearance to shutdown, no matter what levers you pull.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI