Sign in to follow this  

Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer not available...?

I never liked the idea that ProATC was depending on software from others (Lorby's, MakeRwys) and now I know why... I am in the middle of reinstalling P3D and (of course) ProATC and wanted to download the mandatory Lorby's Addon Organizer... only to find out you can't download it right now...!

Help! Now what? I can't use ProATC because another developer has removed his addon from his site?

Does anyone know if I can obtain a copy elsewhere?

EDIT
Found a copy of v1.32 somewhere. The latest version is 1.38. Does anyone know if 1.32 will run well with P3D 4.3?

Edited by Guest

temporarily pulled to address a bug,

Edited by Chris Bell

55 minutes ago, J van E said:

I never liked the idea that ProATC was depending on software from others (Lorby's, MakeRwys) and now I know why... I am in the middle of reinstalling P3D and (of course) ProATC and wanted to download the mandatory Lorby's Addon Organizer... only to find out you can't download it right now...!

Help! Now what? I can't use ProATC because another developer has removed his addon from his site?

Does anyone know if I can obtain a copy elsewhere?

EDIT
Found a copy of v1.32 somewhere. The latest version is 1.38. Does anyone know if 1.32 will run well with P3D 4.3?

Hello Jeroen,

you can always request a copy from me.

But to address the fact that other developers rely on P4AO to make the scenery export for them, I have just uploaded a small command line app to the Lorby-SI website that does the same thing. They can distribute it with their own software, effectively becoming independent from P4AO.

I am sorry, I never meant for this to happen. When I made P4AO, it was to cover an immediate need with P3D 4.0. I was sure that over time the other devs would adapt their own tools to the new management logic... and that a commercial addon management tool would be along eventually.

The current situation is this: there is somebody out there who just doesn't like the P4AO, and I can't constantly "unflag" it when he advises Microsoft and Google that it is malicious. As there was a bug in it anyway, I took down the link until the 1.38 would be ready. It is already being tested, shouldn't take too long. 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 3

LORBY-SI

40 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

temporarily pulled to address a bug,

I know, that's why I posted this topic. 😉

19 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

I am sorry, I never meant for this to happen.

Oh no, I wasn't blaming you for anything! 😉 I simply don't like it that payware developers rely on freeware from others to get the job done. That simply shouldn't be the case. That command line app sounds great: hopefully developers will start using it.

I am done installing right now and don't have anymore time to fly so I will wait for 1.38 to be released, although I wonder if ' shouldn't take too long' means a few minutes, hours, days or weeks. 😉 If it takes too long for me I will send you a mail with a request for a copy, thanks for the offer! Ah, well, I used the contact page on your site to request the file anyway. Don't hurry though, take your time. 😉

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, J van E said:

few minutes, hours, days or weeks. 😉 If it takes too long for me I will send you a mail with a request for a copy, thanks for the offer!

Feels like end of the week. But if you want to help testing it, you are always welcome.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

29 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

The current situation is this: there is somebody out there who just doesn't like the P4AO, and I can't constantly "unflag" it when he advises Microsoft and Google that it is malicious.

is there no way to advertise as trusted?
if there is just ask the community to help counter!

beside what difference does it make if a single user flags your app?
your users know its not malicious! 

Edited by Chris Bell
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

is there no way to advertise as trusted?
if there is just ask the community to help counter!

When the new version is ready I will - if necessary.

"Unflagging" it is a bit of an effort, with forms to be filled out, credentials given etc. Takes two business days to be processed. By then it had been removed anyway... hope Microsoft doesn't hate me now too...

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Im still confused how google fits into this puzzle,

not surprising these AV companies stopped this low to allow just anyone off the street flag someone’s work with zero forensic just to keep their bogus business a float,

Personally I don’t use any AV, FW or BS malware protection,
all these supplier MS included cause these false reports that freak people out for no reason,
A paranoid person will fork for AV protection as long as they justify their fabulous protection with 100% bogus flags!

imagine if any communication provider at any layer allowed any type of malware into their network before it got to you? it will never happen; every virus footprint is discarded at the packet level before it gets to traverse anywhere!

Who here was actually been infected with a real virus firsthand the past 10 year? 
A real virus not a fake news one?

I know the answer to this in advance, no one!
People like to blame everything they don’t understand on “it’s a virus”!
paranoia is a proven lucrative business recipe, 

ATB
Chris

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

+1
Going on 25 years online and still no virus... ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

The current situation is this: there is somebody out there who just doesn't like the P4AO, and I can't constantly "unflag" it when he advises Microsoft and Google that it is malicious. As there was a bug in it anyway, I took down the link until the 1.38 would be ready. It is already being tested, shouldn't take too long. 

Seriously? What a lowlife.... 🙄

33 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

Im still confused how google fits into this puzzle,

not surprising these AV companies stopped this low to allow just anyone off the street flag someone’s work with zero forensic just to keep their bogus business a float,

Personally I don’t use any AV, FW or BS malware protection,
all these supplier MS included cause these false reports that freak people out for no reason,
A paranoid person will fork for AV protection as long as they justify their fabulous protection with 100% bogus flags!

imagine if any communication provider at any layer allowed any type of malware into their network before it got to you? it will never happen; every virus footprint is discarded at the packet level before it gets to traverse anywhere!

Who here was actually been infected with a real virus firsthand the past 10 year? 

People like to blame everything they don’t understand on “it’s a virus”!
paranoia is a proven lucrative business recipe, 

ATB
Chris

Ouch, thats a bold statement....

While i agree that the classic form of virus is nearly extinct, today's malware still poses a significant thread to an unprotected system. Even if you try to stay in the "safe" part of the internet, just one click on a screenshot hosted on a dodgy pic sharing website with even dodgier ad banners/pop-ups and you may end up with malware that came through a hole in your browser. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

The current situation is this: there is somebody out there who just doesn't like the P4AO, and I can't constantly "unflag" it when he advises Microsoft and Google that it is malicious.

How can that be?  From a single person flagging it, MS and Google deem it malicious?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Bell said:

Since 2014 I am in a rather unique line of work which gets me into close contact with many computers, mostly from smaller companies. About 1 machine in 10 is infected, and the vast majority are viruses which are distributed by trojan horse type email messages. And those are the computers which you would expect to be secure, virus scanners and all. But it is a little bit like with real germs, you will hardly notice that they are there. Most don't become active, many are removed by the AV if they try something.

Lesson that everybody knows is, be careful with what is sent to you and what you download from the net.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

LORBY-SI

12 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

How can that be?  From a single person flagging it, MS and Google deem it malicious?

Not the file itself is flagged (for that the browser would have to download it), only the address (=URL) is.

Everybody can do that. In your Browser, go to the list of your downloads, right click one. For example in MS Edge there is the option "report as unsafe download". Not sure what comes next, I won't try it. Could be that there is an additional form to fill out. After that, the URL of the download is flagged as unsafe. Every user who clicks on it, his browser will query the database, and if the link is in there, it will show an error message to the user (if SmartScreen is active, that is). You can download it anyway, again on the downloads list, but it gets people worried nevertheless.

The purpose of this mechanism is to protect computers from downloads before they even happen. Not sure if for example Microsoft and Google are sharing those smart screen databases or if you would have to do the same in every type of browser.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Lorby Addon tool should be nominated for Best addon tool for Prepar3d in 2018.  It has saved me so much time and hassle.  I love all the features, and especially all file encoding check.  Somehow my dll.xml got messed up and lorby addon found the syntax error (as one of tags was messed up) along with encoding.  

And so many of my addons besides PMDG, Orbx, FSCaptain and FS2Crew reside outside my sim directory.  Thanks to Lorby addons.  And yes, I have all Flightbeam airports installed outside b/c of this app.  

Looking forward to 1.38

This tool is mandatory, and thank you Oliver for creating it.  

Sorry to hear about the mess, just hang in there and looking forward to 1.38.  Haters will always hate, you just keep doing your thing and success follows.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

8 hours ago, Woozie said:

Ouch, thats a bold statement....

i am well aware! :rolleyes:
calling it as i see it with zero BS, did anyone prove me wrong so far? 

8 hours ago, Woozie said:

just one click on a screenshot hosted on a dodgy pic sharing website with even dodgier ad banners/pop-ups and you may end up with malware that came through a hole in your browser. 

but you wont; if anyone is stupid enough to try and pull something like this it will be temporary at best!
with today's drive size, auto backups etc, its not worth the overhead and the latency these bring to our PC,
go about your day do what you need to do, make sure you have backups of your data with a good system image,

recovery takes less than 10 min with a system image; especially if you keep your user data folder on another separate drive as i do, literally i can restore a backup in the middle of typing this,
the cache for even this will load back when my system comes up after restore,
literally under 5 min start to finish,

there's a tool everyone can use; its also 100% FREE!
very convenient as you can instantly access it anywhere,
its called common sense :blush:

i've been an IT professional for almost 30 years now,
catering to the most sensitive business tier out there, fortune 100-500!
i served as a systems security principle for the third largest pharmaceutical in the world at the time,

i have a little background when i tell you no hosting provider or any provider at any layer will allow infestation on their network; let alone get to end users, as if this happens it doesn't happen just to you, its everyone!

that provider if infected to such extent will shut down his network long before he will allow this to reach their end users, can you imagine google infecting their end users? lets say this did somehow happened! you really think a personal AV will withstand an unknown attack that got google?

if one know the efforts these providers take to ensure none of this ever gets anywhere on their network you'd understand how pointless all this personal AV, Malware, FW industry is,

MS is simply feeding their customers BS with no shame whatsoever pushing their own false alerts to justify their own FW and protection all so you continue to buy the next OS, as they really have nothing else to put the weight of how important it is to upgrade beside "security" now days, just a shameful practice all around from executive looking to prove themselves with quarter year numbers than to put a proper product out there, 

7 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

i find it shocking these companies stooped this low!

7 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Since 2014 I am in a rather unique line of work which gets me into close contact with many computers, mostly from smaller companies. About 1 machine in 10 is infected, and the vast majority are viruses which are distributed by trojan horse type email messages. A

a public network of poorly maintained small business would not fall under common sense usage  😉
i get it, as mentioned before common sense practice is required, 

to be clear the nature and what these so called viruses can a actually do these days is very limited to maybe a file corruption or very small minor issue, 
these are not the old school viruses disrupting everything; those days are gone!

the most today's "viruses" or malware can really do is maybe participate in DDOS attack, which technically is not malicious to your machine, all it really does is simply talking to another computer,as it does anyway all day!

btw... try to send one of these email infected viruses out to a reputable network again see if it makes it out of that single infected network, it shouldn't! 

7 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Not the file itself is flagged (for that the browser would have to download it), only the address (=URL) is.

ahh that's where google comes to play :)
simple solution; hide your real URL!
or generate a temp url per download,

using SSL on your site is a must these days,
google will not rush to flag your files if you have SSL!

Edited by Chris Bell
  • Upvote 1