I’m upgrading my computer. It’ll be upgraded to i7-8700k on an Asus ROG motherboard. Memory will be 16Gb DDR4 on 4 sticks, GSkill Ripjaws 5, speed yet undetermined.  I really like the Asus overclocking ability.  This is for P3D v 4, using a lot of addons.  I really need help choosing the motherboard - something appropriate for P3D .  That’s the only “gaming” I do though I certainly don’t call it that.  It is simulation all the way.  Also memory suggestions would be appreciated  

Have you purchased the components already?  If not, do yourself a favor and wait a few weeks.  Intel has new CPUs coming out on October 1st and Nvidia has new GPUs coming out in a few weeks.  

Thanks.  I already have the EVGA 1080TI, along with Samsung SSD’s, etc..  This is mainly an update of my i7-4700k, motherboard and memory.  Other components have been updated along the way.  This is a 9 year old build in the Corsair full tower 800D case.  I’m also thinking of updating my cooling from the original Corsair H100 to the H115i.  I suspect the original cooler has lost a lot of its efficiency in the past 9 years.

Again, mainly seeking help  on the motherboard - no need for overkill - and RAM specifications with the 8700k. 

Edited by Chuck Dreier

The RoG Code and Hero are good, but after some reading over at the ROG boards I'd probably stay away from the Formula.

Why the four sticks of memory preference? Otherwise I'd recommend the Apex.

Hi Chuck,

I've had good success with Asus flavors, but the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero board has worked well for me on my test PC that is 8700K based.  As far as RAM goes, no need for 4 RAM modules, the motherboard is NOT quad channel, it's dual channel.  

As far as RAM 2 X 8GB 4133 G.Skill seem to work well with Asus motherboards ... or if you want to go slightly better performance at more costs then try the G.Skill 2 X 8GB 4500 (keep in mind the Asus Hero specs only support upto 4133 so getting the best out of the 4500's might take more work.  

Cheers, Rob.

I have the Maximus X Code. Love it, great board. With the old BIOS overclocking was a bit dodgy, but with the latest BIOS no issues at all, overclock's great. 

I’ve decided to go with the Hero X.  I’ve read that the 4133 has trouble on some Hero boards.  Still go with 4133 or dial it down a notch or two?

As far as RAM 2 X 8GB 4133 G.Skill seem to work well with Asus motherboards ... or if you want to go slightly better performance at more costs then try the G.Skill 2 X 8GB 4500 (keep in mind the Asus Hero specs only support upto 4133 so getting the best out of the 4500's might take morework.  

Edited by Chuck Dreier

I have had no problem with the ASUS formula, ASUS software overclocking tool pushed my i7 up to 5ghz on two cores but I capped it to 4.9 on all cores HT on.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 hours ago, rjfry said:

I have had no problem with the ASUS formula, ASUS software overclocking tool pushed my i7 up to 5ghz on two cores but I capped it to 4.9 on all cores HT on.

My remark with the Formula was in concern to hi speed memory.

I see well I don't intend to go for very high speed memory, der8auer recons its overpriced and not worth the performance under testing, better spent on other hardware, Intel CPU spec sheets optimized for 2400hrz memory. 

Raymond Fry.

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

I see well I don't intend to go for very high speed memory, der8auer recons its overpriced and not worth the performance under testing, better spent on other hardware, Intel CPU spec sheets optimized for 2400hrz memory. 

Seeing and believing are both often wrong -fog of war

But! I'm glad you brought that up:

1) did der8auer test P3D v4.3?

2) why I would never recommend readily available hi-speed memory to someone; the memory is expensive compared to 3200mhz and usually comes in with higher latency than what I'm using.

Which brings me back to the Apex and Samsung B-die memory: the Apex eats hi speed memory and cares not what the memory is "rated" at, hence my rated 3200mhz c14 running at 4133 c17.

I'm doing a upgrade but waiting until October. Getting a i9 9900k and the new z390 board. 

Eric 

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, FunknNasty said:

My remark with the Formula was in concern to hi speed memory.

Having checked the last BIOS update supports 4133mhz + OC  on the formula.

Raymond Fry.

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Having checked the last BIOS update supports 4133mhz + OC  on the formula.

all Asus ROG boards ar solid , the Apex have only 2 mem slots and shorther laines to the cpu  thats one of the reasons that it performs better then 4 slots boards.

it have no problem with +4500mhz and low latencys and it had no problem with VRM cooling from realease in  other words a dedicated OC MoBo.

Edited by westman

19 minutes ago, westman said:

all Asus ROG boards ar solid , the Apex have only 2 mem slots and shorther laines to the cpu  thats one of the reasons that it performs better then 4 slots boards.

it have no problem with +4500mhz and low latencys and it had no problem with VRM cooling from realease in  other words a dedicated OC MoBo.

The Apex is a phenomenal board for sure.