Sign in to follow this  
aliege

descending speed

Anyone knows what to do to reduce the speed when the plane starts descending with 2000 fpm??

Ispeeds runs up to 300.

Thanks

geert

Higher up, 2000fpm/300kts is fine but you wouldn't want it doing that below FL100. What level are you at when it's doing that?

As for slowing down and descending at the same time in a 737 it's never that easy (even though some Vatsim controllers seem to believe "go down, slow down" is easy). To slow down you either have to reduce your rate of descent or use the speedbrakes (or both). Often the best way to manage it is to lose the speed before starting to descend.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

2 hours ago, aliege said:

Ispeeds runs up to 300.

Ispeeds .... means what ?

IAS on the PFD (high mach at all levels  at 300kIAS) is not  ktas / kgsp??

it's all about kgsp groundspeed, not kIAS. not kTAS... 5fpm/kt of kgsp  is a 3o fpa ... any more needs those speedbrakes !!

& 4fpm/kt of ground speed below F100 is better .. if it matches your arrival vnav.

for now, cheers

john martin

Sounds far too complicated. 

Firstly, what is on your FMA? Which autopilot or Flight Director mode are you following. If you are using LVL CHG, then you should see at the top a target MACH of whatever was your cruise mach, plus the SPEED WINDOW will be open with the current MACH number showing. If you close the thrust levers, or the autothrottle does, you will maintain this MACH number and as you descend, your IAS will increase up to and into the red overspeed. There is no automatic changeover between IAS and MACH in V/S or LVL CHG modes.

If you select in the DESCent page of the FMC a high cost index, then the computed descent may be a high IAS. In VNAV, the aircraft begins to descend in MACH then transitions to IAS when the figure in the DESCent page is reached. Whichever is being tracked is in magenta.

So, what modes are you using, what's on the FMA and the MCP?

• Upvote 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Sorry it was a quick Q but i am talking about below 10.000 ft!i found out that when i am using VNAV  it held the spd on 240.But are there other ways.i.e. Approach spd??

But thanks to all the replay sofar.

Geert

Edited by aliege

On 8/15/2018 at 9:38 AM, aliege said:

Anyone knows what to do to reduce the speed when the plane starts descending with 2000 fpm??

Ispeeds runs up to 300.

Thanks

geert

Until 320kias (i believe) you can use the spoilers

edit: i love the mobile version of this forum... not. Have missed that there actually have been plenty answers.

Edited by Ephedrin
Badum tsss

14 hours ago, aliege said:

Sorry it was a quick Q but i am talking about below 10.000 ft!i found out that when i am using VNAV  it held the spd on 240.But are there other ways.i.e. Approach spd??

But thanks to all the replay sofar.

Geert

geert

240kIAS is about 270kTAS + tailwind could = 300kG/S around 10,000' normally requiring 1200 to 1500fpm to match most VNAV profiles ..... unless you were above profile & the aircraft was "chasing" a lower altitude (within its abilities).

for now, cheers

john martin