Sign in to follow this  
jmdriskell

Win 10 Updates, FSX Stopped Working

Apparently Microsoft dropped some updates on my Win 10 Home Edition machine last night (8/15/18 about 1 AM).  Now FSX will not come up..  I have just rebuild my machine with a new HD and a clean install of Win 10 Home.  I reinstalled FSX on a SSD (D:/FSX).  Until now the system has been working OK while I worked out some kinks but as of this morning, I'm dead in the water.  Can anyone suggest where I might look to determine my problems or suggest any utilities that might disclose the matter?  Thanks in advance,

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

One suggestion is to locate the fsx.cfg file, usually located something like: "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\". Make a secure backup to another location.  Then delete it.  When you start FSX the next time it will rebuild it, and may advance you through several prompts based on add-ons you have installed.  See if that will resolve the issue.  If not, reposition the backup you made and continue problem solving from there.

You can try the same with scenery.cfg.

Those are worth a try before spending hours chasing other ghosts.  Good luck!

Also check Windows permissions for the folder(s) related to FSX.  That in case the updates did something there.

Updates installed on my system this morning and all is still good on my system.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank,

Tried rebuilding the fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg files but no joy.  FSX seems to start, asks lots of questions about the addons, then seems to start but never moves off the first flash screen.  I never see the familiar menu for settings, free flight, etc.  I'm at the point of dumping the whole system, and either starting from scratch or switching to FSX-Steam.  I'd goto P3Dv4 (64 bit) but I've got a lot of $ tied up in addons for FSX.

Any ideas?

Jim

Jim;

I feel your pain.  The Winhose 10 auto-updates have borked my system multiple times.  I believe that the purpose of Windows 10 is to simulate the enemy in a cyberwar.  :-S

Where do you have FSX installed?  If it's in the default folder (in a Program Files (x86) directory), it could be UAC getting in the way--if you had it turned off before, it may have been re-enabled.  Also, have you tried running FSX explicitly as admin since the updates?  Also, check your hardware and driver settings...sometimes when Win 10 updates with new drivers, it resets things, like defaulting back to a default nVidia driver, default/changed sound settings, re-enabling previously disabled devices, like an nVidia HD sound device etc.  In particular, check your video driver and sound device defaults.

Good luck!

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

Any ideas?

Jim, Have you tried rolling back the updates?  Right click on the Windows Start icon, select Settings, then Update and Security, then Windows Updates, then Update History.  There you will find the option to Uninstall Updates.  I have had to do that on a couple of occasions, though neither was related to FSX.

There is also the possibility that its due to a video driver. Either a newer one installed by the updates, or an older driver that is not compliant with the updates.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The update address the Intel security issue update,, AMD performance degradation , NET framework DLL errors , and others.

PS no the problems on my end so far P3Dv4.3, Windows 10 home retail, latest Nvidia drivers already installed.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Thanks for the insight but I've dumped FSX and installed FSX-SE.  I did have some problems when I first installed FSX that had to be corrected (I thought) but the sim seemed to run OK until yesterday.  I installed it on a separate SSD which is about 5 years old (as is the rest of my machine).  Maybe I had a problem on that drive but in any event, I'll try FSX-SE.

Thanks again for y'alls interest.

Jim Driskell