Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Why Is The FSLA319 Such A Job To Fly?

Did everything as per the book, yet on climb-out out of  LEPA, after reaching around 3000 ft AGL one minute the A/THR engages when pressed, then the next minute AP1 also does likewise, then the AP button of its own drops out with not a single touch of the Logic3 PRO joystick, and then the aircraft goes into a sharp stall mode and no matter  what forward movement I make with the joystick, it will not snap out of the stall.

I have got pretty fed-up posting about this in the FSL Forums, so thought might try seeing if anybody here who has this variant has a solution.

Or I may just be tempted to call it an expensive 'White Elephant' and ditch it from my P3D V4.3.29 hangar for good and stick to other developers' reliable aircraft!

Hmm thats weird, the ATHR is supposed to be armed during takeoff roll when you set the thrust levers to either FLX/MCT or TOGA, and when airborne when you set the levers to the CLB detent the ATHR comes into play and it should become active.

you sure the speed is managed and not selected somewhere in VLS?

Edited by rafikihd

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

Without any disrespect but the FSLabs A319/A320 are such a job to fly because they are trying (and succeeding) to simulate what constitutes two highly qualified crew's jobs!

This is one of the most advanced simulations available for the home user. It requires some preparation from the user. The simulator needs to be setup according their requirements (specifically regarding the axis and null zones). After that the aircraft has to be treated with due care, i.e., program the fmgc with valid data for the route, weights, speeds. Make sure the panel state is correct for the flight phase (it's always better to start from cold and dark and make sure everything is well programmed than from a saved state and the forgetting something). This is a deep simulation of a real complex piece of engineering. 

Regarding your specific problem. Have you setup your flight correctly on the ground at LEPA? How did you determined your loadsheet? How was the actual loading made? Have you calculated your V-speeds? What was your TOW and CG? Have you retracted your flaps according to the correct speeds? Are your joystick axes spiking? What was the speed tape showing when the AP disconnected? 

I mean... there are hundreds of users marveled by the FSLabs software who don't have those sort of complaints. I'd be more inclined to believe what is happening is due to some (or a combination of) incorrect steps you've made. Are you starting from a panel state saved on a previous iterations of the software?

Can you reproduce your efforts in a video to see what is happening in real-time?

Best regards

Edited by Wolf0
clarification
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rafikihd said:

Hmm thats weird, the ATHR is supposed to be armed during takeoff roll when you set the thrust levers to either FLX/MCT or TOGA, and when airborne when you set the levers to the CLB detent the ATHR comes into play and it should become active.

you sure the speed is managed and not selected somewhere in VLS?

I had the joystick throttle slider to FLX/MCT when trundling down 06L at LEPA, then pulled back to the CLB detent, that's when the ATHR and AP1 started going haywire. The aircraft took such nose-up attitude all I kept getting was the stall warning blooming siren, horn, klaxon, whatever. As explained earlier, at this juncture it was a complete waste of my time, and shut P3D down.

Initially had 112 IAS as MCDU deemed in pre-flight for V2, and duly dialled that in then the usual rigmarole of setting LNAV, IAS by pulling respective knobs till dashed lines showed. then it went pits after that.

22 minutes ago, Wolf0 said:

Without any disrespect but the FSLabs A319/A320 are such a job to fly because they are trying (and succeeding) to simulate what constitutes two highly qualified crew's jobs!

This is one of the most advanced simulations available for the home user. It requires some preparation from the user. The simulator needs to be setup according their requirements (specifically regarding the axis and null zones). After that the aircraft has to be treated with due care, i.e., program the fmgc with valid data for the route, weights, speeds. Make sure the panel state is correct for the flight phase (it's always better to start from cold and dark and make sure everything is well programmed than from a saved state and the forgetting something). This is a deep simulation of a real complex piece of engineering. 

Regarding your specific problem. Have you setup your flight correctly on the ground at LEPA? How did you determined your loadsheet? How was the actual loading made? Have you calculated your V-speeds? What was your TOW and CG? Have you retracted your flaps according to the correct speeds? Are your joystick axes spiking? What was the speed tape showing when the AP disconnected? 

I mean... there are hundreds of users marveled by the FSLabs software who don't have those sort of complaints. I'd be more inclined to believe what is happening is due to some (or a combination of) incorrect steps you've made. Are you starting from a panel state saved on a previous iterations of the software?

Can you reproduce your efforts in a video to see what is happening in real-time?

Best regards

Set up from a Cold & Dark panel state as I always do, from the LH MCDU Panel States. Loadsheet, fuel, payload, etc configured from the MCDU after INIT, Takeoff Data, etc, then onto PERF, flaps ,set to 1, etc

Admittedly, the joystick could well be spiking as it is not IMHO the best there is out there, and I cannot get drivers for it in Windows 7 x64. But it worked perfectly for another high-end 737NGX.

I'll try again, using  your suggestions.

Nope, never use Saved Panel States.

You have a controller issue somewhere.  

Try getting rid of the slider as throttle and using the f1 and f4 keys for the throttle to ensure your in the gates.  

another thing is if you have the slider you are using for the throttle also programmed for elevator or something else.  I had this happen before so now  I only use fsuipc and disabled joysticks in the p3d menu

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

112 ias for V2??? very low, after that you have a stall warning, when i take off V1, VR and V2 are about 150 IAS

Frédéric Giraud

1 hour ago, grandfred29 said:

112 ias for V2??? very low, after that you have a stall warning, when i take off V1, VR and V2 are about 150 IAS

Yeah, that is really low... even a empty a319 should never see v2 that low.  I wonder how he got those numbers.

BUT...  I have messed around with the FSL bus alot doing traffic patterns and done things like not even initialize the weights and it still does not do anything like the OP described . 

I bet it has to do with his controls.  One time shortly after the 320 came outs had a odd situation where I had a axis programmed to throttle in fsuipc and somehow the same axis got programmed in the FSX menu to the rudder......  

that got quite interesting on climbout 

or or it could be a bad install like someone suggested earlier

Edited by mikea76

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Interesting, I was just thinking last night how easy the FSL A320 and A319 are to fly ... it pretty much does all the work ... I think if you're coming from a 737 then you might need to unlearn a few things?

It did take some time for me to work out the Steering/Tiller axis setup and calibrating my devices for throttle, reverses, brakes, etc.  ... initially whenever I tried to setup the P3D Axis Steering Set it would cause the nose wheel to go full lock left (same issue with TDFi 717) ... tried FSUIPC instead of P3D native Axis Steering Set and got the same results.  So then I fiddle around and eventually got it working ... it might have been related to having the parking brake on and/or not moving forward ... or perhaps the Pedal disconnect ... not really sure which action cured it.

Anyway, seems to be working now, but if you haven't gone thru the controller range assignments via the MCDU Options then I recommend you go thru them ... also took me a while to figure out the  --> and <-- arrow keys switch between throttle axis 1 and 2 (setup for dual throttle) where the calibration is then applied based on the current throttle number selected (1 or 2) ... so make sure you're calibrating both left and right throttles.

Cheers, Rob.

I do not have the FSL Airbus jets, but for the record......my V2 speed for the PMDG 737-600 NGX with no passengers or cargo, and two thirds fuel load is 122 knots. Are you flying a loaded A319, Rick? If so, then that figure iof 112 knots for V2 seems way too low.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Might seem like a low V2 speed, especially to a Boeing pilot, but the Airbus A320 family is (aerodynamically speaking) a far more modern design than the 737 family which is why it can land slower and take off slower. Many V speeds are considerably lower than they are for a 737, for example, Vmca is just 109.5 knots for an A320/A319, with Vmcg being 106.5 knots.

But, having said that, I do echo what most people have said here, i.e. the FSL A320 series (and indeed the new Aerosoft A320 Pro series) are very detailed and realistic simulations which do require you to do everything 'properly' in order to avoid what might on the face of it seem like weird behaviour, and that makes sense, after all, it's kind of defeating the object to buy a pretty expensive, realistic simulated aeroplane and then not be inclined read its manual thoroughly.

I do nevertheless suspect that a lot of many people's issues with Airbus simulations can be laid firmly at the door of spikes from a hardware throttle, which end up making the sim think the thrust levers are not in the detents even though they look like they are locked in those detents when viewed in the VC. This is one of the aspects of the A320 where I personally think the 737, with its motorised throttles that provide better visual feedback as to thrust settings, is a superior design both in real life, and with PC-based hardware as well.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

34 minutes ago, Chock said:

do nevertheless suspect that a lot of many people's issues with Airbus simulations can be laid firmly at the door of spikes from a hardware throttle, which end up making the sim think the thrust levers are not in the detents even though they look like they are locked in those detents when viewed in the VC.

I agree here.  There is far too little investment by flightsimmers in high quality controllers.  I have seen people invest so much money in their flightsim setup's  - every available addon, monster PC's , - only to find a crappy £60  saitek controller on their desks.  Why?

• Like 1

I did a flight in the a319 last night with a non precision approach and was thinking how well it flies under the AP and also when hand flying. The latest version works so good for me. 

I would think that you've got a joystick problem or a wrong configuration.

Jos 

12 hours ago, vc10man said:

then pulled back to the CLB detent,

At what point are you doing this?

• Upvote 1