Sign in to follow this  
ricka47

Recent VOXATC and Global Traffic Users

I'm tempted to give this a try to replace my old MT6 installation.  I note that some were using it OK before some of the latest updates.   I'm wondering how it works now with VOXATC and how does the GA traffic work?  Thanks!

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

The latest version is partly working for me. I can not get the GA to work with it - VOX just seems to be unable to assign a callsign to certain GA aircraft (which triggers a fatal error) and despite hours of messing, I haven't managed to work out why (yet :-p !).

It also needs the Airliners BGL to be moved to the scenery > world > scenery folder.

I'm on P3Dv4.3 and VOXATC 7.41

Regards

Adam

Edited by addsbox

Well, I can partially answer my own question as I went ahead and installed Global Traffic and it seems to work OK (even the GA).  I do note that I get much more traffic with going directly through the sim rather than using VOXATC traffic. For instance, I took a short flight in Texas and had to fly over DFW (someone was mad at me!) and while I had traffic in the air and at my origin and destination airports, there was not a plane on the ground at DFW or at Love Field.  When I turned off VOXATC traffic and managed it through the sim, it looked fine.

Rick Abshier

There is a workaround for lack of traffic at intermediate airports. In your example with DFW, if you tune to approach, identify yourself and your position, then say “disregard” and tune back to the default VoxATC controller, the airport will populate with AI traffic. If you tune to approach, departure, or the tower, you can listen to the traffic being managed. It is an “off label” use of VoxATC, and I’m not sure if it is a feature or a bug, but it is kind of cool. 

• Like 1

It's too bad we can't sticky some of these solutions, as they tend to get lost  in the pile over time. This trick has worked since the 7.x betas, so I suspect it's related to the way that VOXATC treats all its aircraft. It doesn't seem to differenciate between the user aircraft and AI aircraft when it comes to its ATC. If one turns on advanced logging, one gets log files that show all the history of communications made by every aircraft and comm frequency.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, Mad_Mac said:

There is a workaround for lack of traffic at intermediate airports. In your example with DFW, if you tune to approach, identify yourself and your position, then say “disregard” and tune back to the default VoxATC controller, the airport will populate with AI traffic. If you tune to approach, departure, or the tower, you can listen to the traffic being managed. It is an “off label” use of VoxATC, and I’m not sure if it is a feature or a bug, but it is kind of cool. 

Thanks for the info!

Rick Abshier

It almost seems to me that this "feature" was created to allow the user to deviate from the flightplan and land at the intermediate airport. It should be used judiciously as by doing so, if one has been previously communicating with a center, the center will wonder where you went.