7 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

when Jensen Huang did his announcement of Turing he provided the technical needs of VRAM for Ray Tracing and mentioned 16GB, 24GB, and 48GB but no mention of any RAM configuration below that. 

On 8/18/2018 at 2:17 AM, strider1 said:

Raytracing for a sim is years away at best 😞

True. No only the software devs need time to develop. The HW manufacturers need time to develop new chipsets and motherboards too, to enable feeding the memory sizes of these new graphics cards fast enough.

But fortunately this leaves us time to save money for the day until adequate combinations of GPU/CPU/Mem and mainboards will be available.

Cheers
Frank

20 mins of Nvidia stream still nothing yet. HA HA its 1180, he`s just done a switch 2070 ,2800 , 2800ti

2800ti 10x 1080ti .

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

This is awesome video card.  Glad I skipped 1080. Finally game changing video card. RTX will help with Dynamic lighting and shadows.  Please LM change your engine.  @Rob Ainscough please bug LM team to do so.  Heck, I can even make a case model that LM will end up selling more Jets/crafts by changing engine in P3D 😋

But nothing will really happen till LM changes the graphic engine completely to utilize 2080 RTX.  When will legacy code go away.

People - watch the keynote video.  The PBR reflections are amazing....this will just allow high fps at addon airports with dynamic lighting.

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Simply awesome.

I just hope the price in EU for that 2080ti stays on 1000 euros...

god...I just saw it...1260 euros 😕

Edited by chass32

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

What may be worrying is 2080ti 10x the power of the 1080ti = mining card  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Ridiculous price for near zero improvement in P3D (unless the software is updated with a new engine). Then and only then we'll see.

• Upvote 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I just ordered my limit (2) ... web site says 9/20, order process on site says shipping is schedule 9/25 and then 30 seconds later my eMail confirmation says 10/1.  I guess they are selling well.

2080TiOrder.thumb.png.7bed3ab5c17eadfef144461bf234e801.png

Anyone know if the existing SLI HB bridges will work for the 2080Ti?  Doesn't list the 2080Ti as supported?

Figure it might be time to experiment with SLI again and see how that works or doesn't work in P3D/XP11/AF2.

Cheers, Rob.

33 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Anyone know if the existing SLI HB bridges will work for the 2080Ti?  Doesn't list the 2080Ti as supported?

Figure it might be time to experiment with SLI again and see how that works or doesn't work in P3D/XP11/AF2.

Don't know about P3D or AFS2, but SLI isn't supported in X-Plane, due to some basic incompatibility with the rendering engine. According to the recent dev Q&A report over in the XP forum -- "SLI/Crossfire: Unlikely to ever be supported as it's just a waste of time; not very effective; hard to get it working."

I'm seeing diminishing interest in SLI/Crossfire in the gaming forums too. The future seems to be tilting towards these single card monsters, primarily due to not enough support on the software side from game and sim devs.

I'm on the fence about these new 20xx cards. I'm running a GTX 970 now, and was planning on upgrading to a 1080 or 1080i with an expected price drop post-currency mining, and with the new series coming out. Now I don't know. The regular 2080's price is tempting, and the demos just released of real-time ray tracing in some upcoming games is pretty amazing. Never thought that would happen at the consumer level in my lifetime.

Need to read some reviews on how they perform in the sims though. I'm not quite crazy enough to pay the money just for flashy game graphics, if it isn't a significant jump in X-Plane over a 1080 or 1080ti. At Laminar's rate of development, I wouldn't normally expect ray-tracing to show up for a while. Then again, with the pending move to Vulkan, they might surprise us if integration is easy.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

On the Nvidia page for the specs it states "Yes - with Nvidia RTX NVlink Bridge"

Hope this helps

I was hoping once the details got released that I could snag a 1080ti for a cheaper price. Now I’m not too confident in that.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Ho appena ordinato il mio limite (2) ... il sito web dice 9/20, il processo di ordine sul sito dice che la spedizione è programmata 9/25 e poi 30 secondi dopo la mia eMail conferma dice 10/1. Immagino che stiano vendendo bene.

2080TiOrder.thumb.png.7bed3ab5c17eadfef144461bf234e801.png

Qualcuno sa se i ponti SLI HB esistenti funzioneranno per il 2080Ti? Non elenca il 2080Ti come supportato?

Potrebbe essere il momento di sperimentare di nuovo con SLI e vedere come funziona o non funziona in P3D / XP11 / AF2.

Saluti, Rob.

What your job??? 🙂

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 MB: Msi Z590 Tomahawk CPU: Intel i7 11700K RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 2400 MHz COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 HD: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB GPU: Nvidia (Asus A8G) GTX 1080 PSU: Cooler Master V750 FAN: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow RGB (x4).

302318.png     Lorenzo Guidotti

17 minutes ago, BrettT said:

On the Nvidia page for the specs it states "Yes - with Nvidia RTX NVlink Bridge"

Thanks, found it and ordered.

26 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I'm seeing diminishing interest in SLI/Crossfire in the gaming forums too. The future seems to be tilting towards these single card monsters, primarily due to not enough support on the software side from game and sim devs.

Agree, P3D does support SLI, some claim it performs well some (like myself) only found benefits with high levels of AA and Dynamic Lights.  However, I plan to move to ProSimA320 eventually (full cockpit build) and without a VC to render, so an SLI setup might see more benefit.

DX12 still has the edge over Vulkan 1.1 API, especially when working with multiple GPUs are different flavors.  However Vulkan 1.1 did bring about support for Multiple GPUs .. good article here on Vulkan: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/vulkan-1-1-adds-multi-gpu-directx-compatibility-as-khronos-looks-to-the-future/

We'll always need lots of CPU regardless, but as more and more gets pushed to the GPU the more GPU performance is needed.  I have no idea how these 2080Ti will work with AF2, P3D, or XP11 but I'll certainly put them thru their paces.  My level of expectation is that I can increase to SSAA 4X or 8X on P3D/XP11, max out XP11 "Visual Effects" setting, increase "Reflection Detail" setting and be able to sustain 30 FPS everywhere.  On the P3D front I'm hoping adding higher quality shadow tweaks (via .cfg), turn on a few more reflections, run both Dynamic Lights and Dynamic Reflections.

My expectations is what additional visual features setting can I enable/increase and still retain a locked 30 FPS ... I'm NOT looking for high FPS numbers but less long frames would be nice.

If P3D does move to DX12 with DXR extensions then I'll look forward to some ray tracing ... hopefully in the future but not too distant future.  I know a few graphic software engineers (outside of LM) and bringing about new technology like this is a very exciting proposition for them, a huge challenge, but a very intellectually rewarding accomplishment.  This graphics card is a game changer in the rendering of light ... it's the next step closer to "as real as it gets".

Cost of these GPUs are high, but it's trickle down (1080Ti are probably going to be very affordable soon as these ramp up), in a short period of time 2080Ti will be 2nd tier on down the line and cheaper as the next best GPU hits the market in a year or two or heck maybe AMD will bring something to the game ... competition is good.

Cheers, Rob.

19 minutes ago, Lorenzog said:

What your job?

haha ... this is a tool for my job ... it's akin to a home contractor bringing a "nail and hammer" or a "nail gun" to the job site ... or a doctor with leeches vs. a doctor with an MRI 🙂