BF V and Tomb Raider at the show had been optimised to use RT, but at the moment no one has tested the 20 series in the present titles against the 10 series, and until the tester get there hands on the cards we will not know, even some of the present titles are ahead of flight sim in terms of GPU usage.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

So I guess the burning question is  .. When will Lockheed Martin implement RTX into Prepar3D?  

Could it be incorporated into the current version 4 or will it be a long wait until version 5? ....  and even then it might not be included ...

Paul

32 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

So I guess the burning question is  .. When will Lockheed Martin implement RTX into Prepar3D?

I can assure you LM are aware of DX12 and DXR extensions ... this is a fundamental shift in how light is going to be implemented going forward.  Ray tracing is about the equivalent in terms of "big" as was the introduction of "Rasterization" going back to the 1990's.  I didn't purchase two 2080Ti because of what games/sims use today, I purchased them because of what will be used in the near future.  Microsoft didn't code DXR (ray tracing) API for developers to use thinking it was a dead end, nor did nVidia update their GameWorks SDK for ray tracing support ... Microsoft invested the resources into ray tracing because they are also aware of this fundamental shift is the presentation of "light".  Same for the Khronos group and updating the Vulkan 1.1 API for use with ray tracing.

I've read a lot of "cautious" comments, fair enough, but ray tracing is a really big deal and it's not some useless technology ... like nVidia indicated, they've been working 10 years in parallel development to provide this GPU.  Definitely do NOT buy this GPU if you only care about what games currently available can do with it, buy these GPUs if you care about what games/sim will be able to do with it in the near future.

Microsoft's DXR (good read)

Quote from that Microsoft blog/article that is VERY important (in terms of ease of implementation):

You may have noticed that DXR does not introduce a new GPU engine to go alongside DX12’s existing Graphics and Compute engines.  This is intentional – DXR workloads can be run on either of DX12’s existing engines.  The primary reason for this is that, fundamentally, DXR is a compute-like workload. It does not require complex state such as output merger blend modes or input assembler vertex layouts.  A secondary reason, however, is that representing DXR as a compute-like workload is aligned to what we see as the future of graphics, namely that hardware will be increasingly general-purpose, and eventually most fixed-function units will be replaced by HLSL code.  The design of the raytracing pipeline state exemplifies this shift through its name and design in the API. With DX12, the traditional approach would have been to create a new CreateRaytracingPipelineState method.  Instead, we decided to go with a much more generic and flexible CreateStateObject method.  It is designed to be adaptable so that in addition to Raytracing, it can eventually be used to create Graphics and Compute pipeline states, as well as any future pipeline designs.

In the short, this means this is NOT going to be some monumentally difficult process to implement in one's render pipeline.  I'm not trivializing it, there is work, but it's not the kind of work that would require massive development budgets.  Microsoft don't often get things right, but this (DXR API) is one thing they did get right and it's almost certainly going to end up on the XBOX at some point and that's why they needed to make it right on the PC side.

My optimistic 2 cents,

Cheers, Rob.

Good post.  Though in some situations the timing of the purchase of an RTX card may be accelerated or delayed depending upon the "non ray tracing" benefits it may provide in comparison to existing offerings on existing titles.  In this respect, if it provides a decent bump up from my existing 1080 in VR then I might be inclined to get it sooner than later.  If on the other hand it is a slight difference then I would be more inclined to hold out a bit longer to see prices drop/new models come out.  Either way, I am most appreciative of those individuals in this community that have the ability to jump on these new offerings and provide detailed results from their experiences with this new hardware.  So thanks Rob and others :-)

• Like 2

Sweet!   I wonder if iracing will follow suit.  I used to be heavily involved with that.  I would probably have to rebuild my simpit to allow my steering wheel and pedals to be easily swapped out with my stick/throttle and rudder pedals, but I have been tempted ever since getting into VR

2 hours ago, BrettT said:

I wonder if iracing will follow suit.  I used to be heavily involved with that.

Me too, used it for keeping my situational awareness up for real world racing.  High FPS provides a small advantage in iRacing so most of the time I dialed graphics settings down.  I'm still paying my subscription to iRacing but I haven't logged in and done any races for years ... not even sure if I'm still ranked or have my license with them?

Never did like how iRacing handled "bumps", seemed much more accurate in Assetto Corsa ... I know iRacing touted themselves as having the best physics, but it's much like the P3D/XP11 physics debates ... in some areas iRacing was better in other areas Assetto Corsa was better (same applies to P3D/XP11).  I digress, but it's good to see a quality racing sim get some ray tracing support.

Cheers, Rob.

I believe we may have raced a few times.  I really enjoyed the vette.  I believe you may have been just winding down on iracing while I was spooling up.  I haven't tried AC but it looks good.  Haven't touched it since I got back into flight sims a few years ago.  Either way future looks bright for hardware and I look forward to your take on the 2080Ti

Kind Regards,

Brett

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

On 8/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

HDMI 2.0b doesn't support that?  Spec: https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/

HDMI 2.1 does Spec: https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

If the 2070 does indeed out perform the TitanXP, that will open a much bigger door ... I hope it turns out accurate.

Cheers, Rob.

So apparently DP 14a can support 8k at 60hz with DSC, it's supposedly visually lossless...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

14 hours ago, BrettT said:

15 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

High FPS provides a small advantage in iRacing so most of the time I dialed graphics settings down. 

I was an "alpha" tester at Iracing. Then I retired shortly after it went live. 🙂

@Rob Ainscough You'd be a LAG wrecking machine if you raced with that 8k TV at 30fps locked and vsync on. 🙂

The thing I had hard time with at Iracing was the sound. I couldn't hear the physics ...

It sounds like this may be a good time to keep one hand on our wallets. Unless you like to be the "first guy on the block" then it may be a good thing to wait for some real test to be performed on the "magic" cards. LOL Nvidia may have hired the old DTG guys to promote this whole release.

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Well if you believe this article and nVidia's claims the 2080 (the $750 2080 and not the $1200 2080Ti FE) of 50% faster at "regular games" when running in 4K ...

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/22/17769122/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-performance-benchmarks-games

and for the 2080Ti

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-nvidia-reveals-rtx-2080-benchmarks

we saw a demonstration of the technology in action, with the Unreal Engine 4 Infiltrator demo running at 4K resolution side-by-side on systems using GTX 1080 Ti and RTX 2080 Ti. A frame-rate counter was active on both, showing the Pascal card running at around 35 frames per second, with the RTX 2080 Ti delivering twice the performance level across the entire demo - which does seem to confirm Nvidia's claims.

Soooo ... I'm thinking you addicts (myself included as I already forked over the cash) will have a hard time keeping the wallet closed 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

4 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Well if you believe this article and nVidia's claims the 2080 (the $750 2080 and not the $1200 2080Ti FE) of 50% faster at "regular games" when running in 4K ...

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/22/17769122/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-performance-benchmarks-games

Soooo ... I'm thinking you addicts will have a hard time keeping the wallet closed 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

The First two words of the title...."Nvidia says".......thats alot like....The US State Dept. announced" LOL!! Time for a nap!!

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

18 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

That chart is pathetic and belongs in the trash can.