Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

KLAX-KLAS (FTX SC) KLAS-KLAX

I was pleasantly surprised with my recent performance test on my old 2600K/970 combo:

FSDT Airports

0kVPzDw.jpg

DXXNXm7.jpg

adpnIzb.jpg

qgAPe6H.jpg

MZb9NKh.jpg

cQ9vVAU.jpg

VfxnuvC.jpg

Zcs9ppz.jpg

j532skq.jpg

Zefqa3D.jpg

VvTGsGk.jpg

ZCsWApt.jpg

bDFLaae.jpg

Cii3qem.jpg

iO2ihUL.jpg

Some tile loading in the KLAX area and fps in the teens, but still smooth considering the age of my system.

Jose

Edited by DJJose
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Nice round-trip choice. I especially like the ambience/texture-sets of the evening take-off from KLAS...been to some of those buildings (seen in the background) on a couple of trips....

• Like 1

I had the 2600 for a long time, and has been was a great CPU indeed. I'm very thankful to the guy in the shop who suggested it to me.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

35 minutes ago, pmb said:

I had the 2600 for a long time, and has been was a great CPU indeed. I'm very thankful to the guy in the shop who suggested it to me.

Kind regards, Michael

The best CPU I've ever owned, but I'm ready for an upgrade. I have too many addons and an outstanding sim and I want a few more fps. I'm waiting to see what the 9700K brings.

What combo are you using now?

8 hours ago, DJJose said:

It's in my sig. A 6700 (non OC'd) + Asus Z170.  Coffe Lake will certainly be an interesting option for the future,but I am not (yet) prepared to start over with a new motherboard and stuff. 

Perhaps having to install Prepar3d5 anyway might be a good time to start from scratch.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

On 8/16/2018 at 7:05 PM, DJJose said:

The best CPU I've ever owned, but I'm ready for an upgrade. I have too many addons and an outstanding sim and I want a few more fps. I'm waiting to see what the 9700K brings.

I’m still on my 2600K as well. Had since 2011/12 and is still working well. But, since I’ve not yet dipped a toe into P3D and am still on FSX, I’m going to have to upgrade at some point.  Just wish P3D would get to somewhat of a stopping point so I could jump in. I’m glad I’ve stayed away so far as I didn’t have the time nor energy to buy, install and use the last 4 versions, much less keep up with addon compatibility between all versions. Still waiting for the dust to settle, but it could be a while and I’ll still be on FSX.

Btw, is that Victorville in the 5th shot? Looks like what used to be George AFB and is now the SoCal Logistics Airport. I lived near there in the late 80’s and did the majority of my PPL training at near by Apple Valley Airport (KAPV).

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Btw, is that Victorville in the 5th shot? Looks like what used to be George AFB and is now the SoCal Logistics Airport. I lived near there in the late 80’s and did the majority of my PPL training at near by Apple Valley Airport (KAPV).

Hi Sean,

Yes it is! ORBX did a nice job improving all the airports in SoCal. It does come at a performance price, especially in the LA area. Some pauses and low fps, but it's worth it if you want the beautiful textures that come with the region.

As for P3d v4, I upgraded from FSX when it was released and I've never looked back. It took me over a year to get most of my addons back and I still don't have the f1 Citation Mustang. Everything else is installed and working on my sim.

I'm glad that I made the leap to P3d v4. With the right addons, it's hard to beat!

15 hours ago, DJJose said:

As for P3d v4, I upgraded from FSX when it was released and I've never looked back. It took me over a year to get most of my addons back and I still don't have the f1 Citation Mustang. Everything else is installed and working on my sim.

I'm glad that I made the leap to P3d v4. With the right addons, it's hard to beat!

That begs the question, how does it run on the 2600, assuming you have some PMDG planes installed? I might be able to sneak in with a newer GPU. Right now I have a GTX 670 but can’t remeber if it’s 2GB, 3 or 4GB. From what I’ve read you really need a GPU with around 10GB or more since it uses the GPU more than FSX.

Im still considering but it will probably be my luck that if I jump in v4, v5 will be right around the corner. My main deal isn’t spending the money for the rig upgrades or even the software upgrades, it’s getting everything downloaded installed and set up again. Then if a newer version comes along, like v5, removing everything and doing it again.

These days I just don’t have the time or interest to keep jumping around, hence why I’m still on FSX. Had this been 2008, I’d probably do it. Wasn’t married, didn’t have as many other hobbies and spent a lot more time simming. Now I mostly ready about it here and moderate, more than I actually sim, lol.

Thanks for the nice shots.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

8 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

That begs the question, how does it run on the 2600, assuming you have some PMDG planes installed? I might be able to sneak in with a newer GPU. Right now I have a GTX 670 but can’t remeber if it’s 2GB, 3 or 4GB. From what I’ve read you really need a GPU with around 10GB or more since it uses the GPU more than FSX.

Im still considering but it will probably be my luck that if I jump in v4, v5 will be right around the corner. My main deal isn’t spending the money for the rig upgrades or even the software upgrades, it’s getting everything downloaded installed and set up again. Then if a newer version comes along, like v5, removing everything and doing it again.

These days I just don’t have the time or interest to keep jumping around, hence why I’m still on FSX. Had this been 2008, I’d probably do it. Wasn’t married, didn’t have as many other hobbies and spent a lot more time simming. Now I mostly ready about it here and moderate, more than I actually sim, lol.

Thanks for the nice shots.

My GTX970 (3.5gig) is doing an acceptable job right now even with the Ifly 737ngx & FS2Crew. I've been waiting for a significant drop in price for the 1070ti or 1080ti. Prices are now trending in the right direction since the 2080s are about to be released.

I can't wait to see what improvements we will see with the new line of GPUs.