Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Intel’s first “s-series” Core i9 CPU will be soldered

The Coffee Lake Refresh will launch in October. At launch, only three SKUs will be available: Core i9-9900K, Core i7-9700K, and Core i5-9600K (with Core i5-9400 coming in Q1 2019).

The documents that were shared with us anonymously, confirm that new processors will be soldered. It is unconfirmed whether Core i5-9600K is also using STIM (Solder Thermal Interface Material) because the files we have only refer to 8-core parts.

https://videocardz.com/77356/intel-core-i9-9900k-confirmed-to-be-soldered

Intel-Core-9000-Main-Features-1000x563.jpg

I hope its true.  As much as I enjoy getting the most out of my CPUs (via de-lidding) not having to take the risk of damaging the chip, losing the warranty, or buying liquid metal are all benefits in my book.

Pardon my ignorance... it's been a long time, since I've messed around with hardware and computer building... but what does it mean, that the CPU will be soldered? Soldered to what? (hopefully not the mainboard)... 

• Like 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

3 minutes ago, ABermann said:

Pardon my ignorance... it's been a long time, since I've messed around with hardware and computer building... but what does it mean, that the CPU will be soldered? Soldered to what? (hopefully not the mainboard)... 

+1

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

14 minutes ago, ABermann said:

The integrated heat spreader (IHS - that you attach your CPU cooler to) will be soldered on top of the CPU chip rather than just having thermal paste to conduct the heat away.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

30 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

The integrated heat spreader (IHS - that you attach your CPU cooler to) will be soldered on top of the CPU chip rather than just having thermal paste to conduct the heat away.

Ah... undrrstood! Excellent. No more delidding required and everybody will enjoy excellent and more consistent cooling performance. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

38 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Ah... undrrstood! Excellent. No more delidding required and everybody will enjoy excellent and more consistent cooling performance. 

Actually, I'm wondering what the difference is between liquid metal TIM, for example Conductonaut and solder. How close they are in terms of thermal efficiency.  In other words how much cooler will solder be than liquid metal be, if at all. 

Edit... seems Conductonaut liquid metal is 75 w/mk. Indium solder is 81.8 w/mk.

Edited by martin-w

4 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Interesting.

So - in laymans terms, Intel starts glueing (soldering) the heatsink on top of the CPU? 
(I'm trying to wrap my head around it...)

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

27 minutes ago, ABermann said:

Interesting.

So - in laymans terms, Intel starts glueing (soldering) the heatsink on top of the CPU? 
(I'm trying to wrap my head around it...)

I think it's important to note here that this is not a new idea.

Intel used to do this for nearly every CPU they manufactured.  They stopped doing it with the Ivy Bridge generation of consumer desktop CPUs (2012 - Core i7/5/3 3xxx series).  This had a negative affect on cooling performance, which lead to a reduction in overclocking potential.  This caused savvy power-users, enthusiasts, and hardcore overclockers to develop a process to alleviate this new cooling issue, dubbed "de-lidding".  

Hopefully this will also cut down attempted returns of damaged and kentucky fried CPU's from failed delids.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

30 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

I think it's important to note here that this is not a new idea.

Intel used to do this for nearly every CPU they manufactured.  They stopped doing it with the Ivy Bridge generation of consumer desktop CPUs (2012 - Core i7/5/3 3xxx series).  This had a negative affect on cooling performance, which lead to a reduction in overclocking potential.  This caused savvy power-users, enthusiasts, and hardcore overclockers to develop a process to alleviate this new cooling issue, dubbed "de-lidding".  

Really? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I have assembled dusins of computers and hardware throughout the 00's (2001-2010) - both professionally and as a hobby, and I have to this day, never seen a CPU, where the heatsink were soldered on top of the CPU... Typically the heatsink (with fan) had to be fastened using a special clip or screwed onto the motherboard using special brackets, which were fitted on the motherboard.

My experience stretches to consumer products, though... I haven't been messing around with enterprise products. But then again, I could be misunderstanding what you meant/say. 

• Like 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

17 minutes ago, ABermann said:

Really? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I have assembled dusins of computers and hardware throughout the 00's (2001-2010) - both professionally and as a hobby, and I have to this day, never seen a CPU, where the heatsink were soldered on top of the CPU... Typically the heatsink (with fan) had to be fastened using a special clip or screwed onto the motherboard using special brackets, which were fitted on the motherboard.

My experience stretches to consumer products, though... I haven't been messing around with enterprise products. But then again, I could be misunderstanding what you meant/say. 

Yes, you are misunderstanding 😉

What you call "the CPU" is in fact the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) (flat metal "lid") which sits on top of a CPU die, which is itself attached to a PCB.  The soldering we refer to in this case is between the CPU die and the IHS.  No one is saying the heatsink is soldered to the IHS.  

Edited by TechguyMaxC
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Yes, you are misunderstanding 😉

What you call "the CPU" is in fact the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) (flat metal "lid") which sits on top of a CPU die, which is itself attached to a PCB.  The soldering we refer to in this case is between the CPU die and the IHS.  No one is saying the heatsink is soldered to the IHS.  

Wow! I can see that this is going to cause some misunderstanding for newer folks and one who have been away for a while. To be clear...Do not get out your solder gun. We the consumers do not need to solder anything!

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/