Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Intel’s first “s-series” Core i9 CPU will be soldered

9 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Yes, you are misunderstanding 😉

What you call "the CPU" is in fact the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) (flat metal "lid") which sits on top of a CPU die, which is itself attached to a PCB.  The soldering we refer to in this case is between the CPU die and the IHS.  No one is saying the heatsink is soldered to the IHS.  

Ah! Thanks. That makes sense... 

Thanks a lot for the answers.

• Like 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I'm very surprised so many of you have never heard of delliding. 

Here's a delidding video that will give you an idea. 

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

I'm very surprised so many of you have never heard of delliding. 

Are you really?

39 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Are you really?

I suppose it shouldn't be surprising given the nature of this forum.  If this were a PC hardware enthusiast forum like hardocp or anandtech or techreport and someone made those comments, it might give pause but here, not so much.  

1 hour ago, FunknNasty said:

Are you really?

Yes, because there's's been so many topics here in the forum that relate to or mention delidding. Quite a bit from me. Including Max's excellent delidding tutorial that was pinned for ages.

My surprise is just that though, surprise, not a criticism of anyone.    

Edited by martin-w

8 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Yes, because there's's been so many topics here in the forum that relate to or mention delidding. Quite a bit from me. Including Max's excellent delidding tutorial that was pinned for ages.

My surprise is just that though, surprise, not a criticism of anyone.    

Aside from you, Hasse, Funk, Rob, myself, and a handful of others, the vast majority of people that visit this forum are not PC hardware enthusiasts, let alone hardcore overclockers.  

I'm referring to the hardware sub forum in particular of course. I think its more than a handful, but yes, I guess so, the majority aren't.

25 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I'm referring to the hardware sub forum in particular of course. I think its more than a handful, but yes, I guess so, the majority aren't.

In my estimation, most of the threads created in this forum are by posters seeking advice on what to buy.  I don't think any of those users would fall into the category of "PC hardware enthusiast" or "hardcore overclocker", or they wouldn't be making these threads, they would be answering them (like you or I or the other handful of regulars here).  At this point though I think we only differ in opinion by matter of degree so I will leave it at that.

Edited by TechguyMaxC

At this point though I think we only differ in opinion by matter of degree so I will leave it at that.

Seems like it.

We have a sample size of "two" that weren't aware in this thread, so hardly enough information to know either way. Thus we can only go by our own experience. In my case those I have spoken to privately and posts I have seen re this. The majority, no, more than a handful, absolutely yes. 

Its a silly thing to be arguing about really, all I did was express surprise, and somebody expressed surprise that I was surprised followed by a question mark and here we are debating something unimportant. 😊

Edited by martin-w

I think a PC gamer who hasn't at least heard of delidding would be a rare duck indeed. 😁

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

54 minutes ago, odourboy said:

I think a PC gamer who hasn't at least heard of delidding would be a rare duck indeed. 😁

Sir I believe that delidding is the act of removing the top from a peanut butter jar prior to making a delish sandwich!!😜

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

9 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Sir I believe that delidding is the act of removing the top from a peanut butter jar prior to making a delish sandwich!!😜

:biggrin: